Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Guitars and Big Frets

mking

I've not measured it, but based on casual observation - it seemed the fret wire they used in the 60s was wider than what they're using in this century.

I have two Gibsons with standard 1968 frets, one acoustic, one electric. These were wide, flat, and low, more like what you would expect on an electric. The ones on the electric seem a bit lower than the ones on the acoustic, but they may have been dressed down at some point. I know the '68 acoustic ones have never been touched, since Gibson re-fretted that guitar for me in 1968. I find those frets extremely comfortable.

I've seen very similar frets--maybe not quite as wide--on Gibson acoustics from the late 1950's and early 1960's, but I can't vouch for their originality.

Interestingly, my L-OO Legend (made 2010) has frets that I know are much wider than the frets used in the late 1930's, so someone may have special-ordered that guitar with those frets. Those frets are actually quite similar to my 1968 Gibson acoustic frets.

By comparison, my 2007 SJ has what I believe are modern standard Gibson frets--narrower, and very similar to ones I usually associate with the 1950's. They are definitely a bit wider than on my Gibsons from the 1940's, which have very narrow frets.

The two L1s I've owned that still had the original frets both had/have very small frets, the sort of thing you might expect on a mandolin. Same for my TG1. The 30s era Gibsons I've had were still on the small side by modern standards but bigger than the 20s era.

I have read it was in 1959. I can't recall every encounter I've had with 50s Gibsons but I did have a 1955 ES-295 with fairly small frets. I have a 1958 C-6 classical with big frets (and a radiused board, unusual on a classical). I recently picked up a 1959 ES-125T with nice big frets.

I purchased a 1963 LG-2 a few years back and when I took delivery it had the bigger frets. I thought it had been refretted but the dealer said that was not the case and it was all original which turned out to be true. However when I got the guitar I e-mailed George Gruhn and he confirmed the bigger frets on my guitar were correct for the period. He told me when that changed took place but I just cannot remember. I sold that guitar to purchase a 1947 LG-2 and it has the regular small frets and they are original also.

Michael

I purchased a 1963 LG-2 a few years back and when I took delivery it had the bigger frets. I thought it had been refretted but the dealer said that was not the case and it was all original which turned out to be true. However when I got the guitar I e-mailed George Gruhn and he confirmed the bigger frets on my guitar were correct for the period. He told me when that changed took place but I just cannot remember. I sold that guitar to purchase a 1947 LG-2 and it has the regular small frets and they are original also.

Michael

That all makes sense to me, based on my experience.

Archived