Gibson Brands Forums

SG Originsl...help

bobecus

I'm new here so hopefully someone can help. I bought (new) a SG original with the lyre tailpiece 2 years ago. I have a number of guitars so I find myself not using this beautiful instrument because no matter what I can't get it to sound right on two levels. First position d chords don't sound right...tuning difficulty... and sound is a bit harsh. It has 57 classic pups yet they sound bright, and don't sing the way I would expect. Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Yes, it is a genuine article, was bought from a reliable dealer and I checked w Gibson.

As for the brightness you could try backing the pickups down a little further from the strings to smooth out the tone. As far as the tuning, check your intonation and if it's good, it is a nut issue most likely.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Hi bobecus

Two thoughts come to mind,

1: have you had a setup done? As Jay points out, it's not uncommon for a new Gibby to get shipped with an improperly cut nut. That will usually cause this problem you seem to be having?

2: Not sure what sort of tones you're going for but I love the Gibson Classic 57s, what is your amp setup like?

and yes, I agree as above, check the pickup height. (Check by fretting the last note of each E string, then measure the distance from the pole to the bottom of each E string while the note is fretted.)

Most people start out at 4/64s at the bridge, and 6/64s for the neck, if they are too harsh, lower them 1 or 2 64s of an inch. And tweak this till you get closer to what you're trying to hear.

I have a set of older Classic 57s in a 2002 ES-135, they are in the 4/64s, 6/64s ball park. They sound terrific.

Thanks for the great ideas. Here's an update and the news is good. I started at 4/64 and 6/64 and worked from there with my ears guiding me. Much better. Now, most importantly the g string problem....took a strip of 400 grit silicon carbide paper and folded it. Loosened g string and worked it just son slightly in the nut slot. Repeated the process several times until things were just right. Used a nut sauce type lube. Guitar plays well.. Will now bring this on the road as a backup instrument instead of keeping it in the case.

Thanks for the great ideas. Here's an update and the news is good. I started at 4/64 and 6/64 and worked from there with my ears guiding me. Much better. Now, most importantly the g string problem....took a strip of 400 grit silicon carbide paper and folded it. Loosened g string and worked it just son slightly in the nut slot. Repeated the process several times until things were just right. Used a nut sauce type lube. Guitar plays well.. Will now bring this on the road as a backup instrument instead of keeping it in the case.

[thumbup]

• 1 month later...

I'd like to chime in on this SG Original thread. When I saw it in the store, I loved the look. I remember in the 60s the vibrola tuning problems (mainly by us not knowing set-ups etc.)but I figured I know more now & I have a great Luthier now. I NEVER questioned the 57s cause I have them in lots of guitars that I love. I tried to set it up myself but I could not keep it in tune after using the vibrola. I took it to my guy @ NC guitarworks and he put a bone nut (cut perfect) and a Tone-Pros roller bridge on it.He is a Gibson approved luthier & he said that Gibson did this model right. I use mine a set or 2 a night now. Siattic nerve damage made me use SGs cause a LP got to where it wore me out after 3 sets. My other guitar is a Custom Shop SG standard with burstbuckers.I LOVE both pick-ups.I'm glad your giving yours some playin' time! I agree with my Luthier- Gibson got this one right!

• 5 months later...

I'm new here so hopefully someone can help. I bought (new) a SG original with the lyre tailpiece 2 years ago. I have a number of guitars so I find myself not using this beautiful instrument because no matter what I can't get it to sound right on two levels. First position d chords don't sound right...tuning difficulty... and sound is a bit harsh. It has 57 classic pups yet they sound bright, and don't sing the way I would expect. Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Yes, it is a genuine article, was bought from a reliable dealer and I checked w Gibson.

Kinda late to be replying but I just wanted to say I feel the same way about my sg original. It does have some trouble staying in tune but maybe not to your extent. It also sounds harsh to me. My 61' reissue blows it out of the water tone wise. Also I just simply don't feel comfortable playing it. Its like pooping at someone else's house..hehe. Oh and I also have a Angus Young Sig SG with a vibrola. It's sounds great so the vibrola isn't the tone sucker on the sg original. Just wanted to let you know your not alone brother! Did you end up selling it? I'm thinking that's what I'm gonna end up doing

Kinda late to be replying but I just wanted to say I feel the same way about my sg original. It does have some trouble staying in tune but maybe not to your extent. It also sounds harsh to me. My 61' reissue blows it out of the water tone wise. Also I just simply don't feel comfortable playing it. Its like pooping at someone else's house..hehe. Oh and I also have a Angus Young Sig SG with a vibrola. It's sounds great so the vibrola isn't the tone sucker on the sg original. Just wanted to let you know your not alone brother! Did you end up selling it? I'm thinking that's what I'm gonna end up doing

According to specs, the SG Original, the Les Paul 61 SG and SG 61Ri are almost the same guitar as far as electronics. I have all three. They all sound different but none are shrill and the terms do not suck tone or sustain. Of the three, the Original is the least shrill. My point is that guitars will sound different, even the same model. I also find that these SG's are very sensitive to pickup height adjustments and it is easy to tailor the sound by adjusting height or individual pole pieces.

Archived