Gibson Brands Forums

1930's L 00 Ebony Demo

JuanCarlosVejar

I want, I want, I want!!! [biggrin]

If that was at the shop when I bought the Blues King L-00 all those years back, I doubt I would have even seen the BK!

I always wanted the original in black with firestripe, but they always looked so mangled or too dear.

Guitar fund is kaput after getting the 0-17 and also have small problem of nowhere left to put it, so I will pass.....but.....but.

I could get the black spray can out and do the BK or the old L-0, which probably looked like that once.

BluesKing777.

Oh my..............it sounds fantastic...........................................but I thought the nut was 1.725?

Yeh. 11/16 would be near to a deal killer. Not enough wiggle room for an otherwise fingerstyle -friendly guitar. Wonder what the spacing is at the bridge?

The small L-OO body makes for a great picking guitar, but seems to overmodulate a bit when strummed hard, as near the end of the video.

Tonally this one seems to be similar to other L-OO models, including my L-OO Legend.

Not quite sure why they went with the relatively narrow nut, and presumably standard spacing at the bridge. The Legend, on the other hand, has a 1.75" nut, and 2.375" (as opposed to 2.125") spacing at the bridge. That combination makes for the absolutely perfect fingerpicking guitar, IMHO.

Edit: It's odd, but this particular L-OO model isn't shown on the Gibson website, and the other 30's L-OO models seem to have a 1.75" nut and slot-through saddle, so I'm not sure where the specs on the ebony model come from. Maybe Keith could enlighten us.

The small L-OO body makes for a great picking guitar, but seems to overmodulate a bit when strummed hard, as near the end of the video.

Tonally this one seems to be similar to other L-OO models, including my L-OO Legend.

Not quite sure why they went with the relatively narrow nut, and presumably standard spacing at the bridge. The Legend, on the other hand, has a 1.75" nut, and 2.375" (as opposed to 2.125") spacing at the bridge. That combination makes for the absolutely perfect fingerpicking guitar, IMHO.

Edit: It's odd, but this particular L-OO model isn't shown on the Gibson website, and the other 30's L-OO models seem to have a 1.75" nut and slot-through saddle, so I'm not sure where the specs on the ebony model come from. Maybe Keith could enlighten us.

I'm not really sure how they came to this either! Haha. the only description they gave us said: "Legend inspiried L-00 with a Red Spruce top with Hide Glued bracing, mahogany back and sides, rosewood fingerboard and bridge, vintage replica strap strap tuners, and specially enhanced firestripe pickguard on a masked natural woodgrain surface."

and then another sheet that read like this:

Electronics: None

Strings: Gibson light gauge .012 - .053

Tuning Machines: Relic strap square cream knobs

Pickguard: L-00, .030’’ Firestripe

Bridge: Rectangular sloped, rosewood with bone saddle

Scale: 24 3/4”, short

Fingerboard: 12” radius rosewood with MOP dot inlay

Bracing: Traditional scalloped x-bracing

Neck-to-body: Compound dovetail secured with hide glue at the 14th fret

Neck: 1-piece mahogany, 1.725” Tusq nut

Finish: Ebony, nitrocellulose lacquer

Binding: Single-ply top, single-ply back, multi-ply single-ring rosette

Wood: Adirondack red spruce top, mahogany back & sides

as for why they did that nut, I don't know.

I'm not sure anyone would see it as a cheaper CJ165. it's not like that at all. it's really a nicer blues king. very similar to the L00TV but with the neck difference, cosmetic changes and the one that we have seems to be a lighter built guitar... though that could just be this individual guitar weighing less and just resonating well. Hard to tell. I have only played one out of this ebony run.

-Keith

well... that's a PM answer only. I have put some prices in the past (MSRP or MAP) but it's not really something I am supposed to be doing myself.

-Keith

Got it- thanks! That thing is alluring, no question...

Does not have the "small body" type sound….very full….could be the recording setup?

These L-OO's do not have what you think of as a small-body sound. The light construction, adi top, and scalloped bracing them give them a bigger voice than you would expect.

I assumed Tony gave the wrong spec....and that could be a big mistake too!

Same with nobody having a price..

BluesKing777.

We HAVE pricing... we just aren't necessarily supposed to SAY pricing in the public side of the Internet. ;)

Keith

I assumed Tony gave the wrong spec....

BluesKing777.

Tony frequently gives miss-information. For a guy that's part of a sales team it seems very odd for him to be passing wrong info......hope he has a day job!

Cool!

The new one would only look like this in a year or 2 anyways!

Queenie7j_zps5eeb4ba2.jpg

BluesKing777.

Just like to add that the old L-0 has a huge voice, like Nick was saying for his Legend L-00!

So when the specs are also right for fingerpicking, all kinds of things happen after you have played them a lot - the L-0 does all the stuff it is famous for, but there can be way more in the tank than that. While I enjoy doing the blues like RJ or LH on it, late at night doodling or noodling with the Shubb on the 4th fret while quietly picking a few simple CMAJ7 type things - it is just something out there, hard to capture on tape but great to try. Simple: capo to 4, play cowboy C and lift index finger: simple CMaj7, move it across to a simple F shape, remove index! Just beautiful!

On the serious, I meant I couldnt find the L-00 price at MV, thanks Keith! I looked through their whole site after watching the vid.

Would it really be a skinny nut? Whats going on?

BluesKing777.

Just like to add that the old L-0 has a huge voice, like Nick was saying for his Legend L-00!

So when the specs are also right for fingerpicking, all kinds of things happen after you have played them a lot - the L-0 does all the stuff it is famous for, but there can be way more in the tank than that. While I enjoy doing the blues like RJ or LH on it, late at night doodling or noodling with the Shubb on the 4th fret while quietly picking a few simple CMAJ7 type things - it is just something out there, hard to capture on tape but great to try. Simple: capo to 4, play cowboy C and lift index finger: simple CMaj7, move it across to a simple F shape, remove index! Just beautiful!

On the serious, I meant I couldnt find the L-00 price at MV, thanks Keith! I looked through their whole site after watching the vid.

Would it really be a skinny nut? Whats going on?

BluesKing777.

No problem! To me, the nut/neck feel very similar to a standard blues king. I haven't looked to see if they have the same measurements, but that was my initial thought when I played it.

I think the pricing issue with MV is the same issue that I have with it.... We aren't really allowed to post them online in a public manner. Only a few are. Neither of us are listed as online Gibson dealers.

So, if they post it on their website (or I post the price here in a public way) then we are in violation of our dealer agreements. We get in a little trouble and other dealers get a little unhappy. Just the way it is. Not complaining.

-Keith

Archived