Gibson Brands Forums

I have possibly discovered the worst genre of rock music ever!

StRanger7032

An aspiring local musician came to me recently for a guitar setup. I live in a small town with few guitar players. He told me at some point in our conversation that I was the only "classic rock" player he's met in town. The only other guitar player he knows is the guy from the pawn shop who's into Grindcore. I gave him a blank look and decided to look up the aforementioned genre today.

Maybe I'm getting old, but this was the first genre of rock music that I just could not appreciate at all. It just sounds like pure crap! I can actually see where the song "Warthog" by the Ramones (who I like BTW), influenced an entire "music" scene (thankfully short-lived). Its so bad that I can't believe it ever existed. Supposedly its a mix of hardcore punk and metal. I wasted 17 minutes of my life watching this video and I invite (or maybe discourage you) to do the same.

This is a "later" version from 1985 of the Ramones song that reminds me of the (slightly more talented) beginning of this genre. I am actually a big fan of The Ramones, not for musical talent, but for being the forerunners of what would become punk rock. Like them or not; I dare you to sit still while listening to them!

I don't know? msp_confused.gif I liked the photo of the guy who had his head buried upside down. msp_flapper.gif He must not have liked it either!msp_crying.gif I am old fashioned, I still listen to the 60's and 70's. My wife and I still go to concerts like The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, ectmsp_thumbup.gif

If everyone states their opinion respectfully why not talk about it.

It's always interesting.

Mhhh, ok let's start.

Slipknot.....not a big fan but like some of their stuff, especially the Subliminal Verses album.

Why, I don't know. Maybe because of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1L6vtpVSNU&list=RDW1L6vtpVSNU

I was really surprised when I first heard it, Corey sings clean, or in other words he SINGS!msp_scared.gif Maybe the fact that it was produced by Ric Rubin did make a difference.

Like the aura of the whole album.

Then to the video posted by the OP, could not listen to it more than 30 second's.

And that comming from someone who actually likes weird kind of music.

For example black/death metal.

At this point I have to say for me the lyrical content does not matter for me (can't understand a word anyway, lol).

Just because I listen that kind of "music" when I'm in the mood, I doesn't mean that I sacrifice little animals for the devil.

Or burn churches down, those who make that sh*t are insane SOB and should spend their entire lifetime in prison.

Bah, send them all to mars and forgett em.

Oh I'm vegetarian by the way, I love animals. Touch my cat and you will see what berserk means.

But that video was to much, maybe I wasn't in the mood. Who knows.

Also I have to add, the more I learn to play the more I tend to listen more to bands like Zeppelin, Blackberry Smoke and the like, instead of Deicide and Mayhem. Maybe I'm just getting old.msp_unsure.gif

People must like this kind of thing. I don't see the point in every one criticizing (dare i say bullying [flapper]).

I listen to what i like and thats that. No time for hate.

No no. See when I do it it's called free speech! When you do it it's called bullying. [thumbup]

If everyone states their opinion respectfully why not talk about it.

It's always interesting.

Mhhh, ok let's start.

Slipknot.....not a big fan but like some of their stuff, especially the Subliminal Verses album.

Why, I don't know. Maybe because of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1L6vtpVSNU&list=RDW1L6vtpVSNU

I was really surprised when I first heard it, Corey sings clean, or in other words he SINGS!msp_scared.gif Maybe the fact that it was produced by Ric Rubin did make a difference.

Like the aura of the whole album.

Then to the video posted by the OP, could not listen to it more than 30 second's.

And that comming from someone who actually likes weird kind of music.

For example black/death metal.

At this point I have to say for me the lyrical content does not matter for me (can't understand a word anyway, lol).

Just because I listen that kind of "music" when I'm in the mood, I doesn't mean that I sacrifice little animals for the devil.

Or burn churches down, those who make that sh*t are insane SOB and should spend their entire lifetime in prison.

Bah, send them all to mars and forgett em.

Oh I'm vegetarian by the way, I love animals. Touch my cat and you will see what berserk means.

But that video was to much, maybe I wasn't in the mood. Who knows.

Also I have to add, the more I learn to play the more I tend to listen more to bands like Zeppelin, Blackberry Smoke and the like, instead of Deicide and Mayhem. Maybe I'm just getting old.msp_unsure.gif

You ain't getting old. Old was my old man, making judgements before he even listened to note one of any music made by "those long-haired fa**ots" etc. etc. I AM getting old, but I will listen (sometimes painfully) and then make a "call" relative to what I like. Folks can listen to whatever they want to. But I'll stand by the fact that I "grew up" (loose term, that)in an era when some of the greatest rock and roll was written and produced. I like complex, layered music; tightly played; words that inspire / provoke thought and emotion. Death metal, and the like, to me just sounds like a group of relatively non-talented persons got together and had a tantrum. Leaves me both flat and distrubed...not a good thing for me!

I'm long winded and I've gotta share two stories. About 1973 I'm listening to John Lennon's "Imagine" album in my room while home from school. "Crippled Inside" and "Jealous Guy" had played and Dad stuck his head in. "I'm glad to see you're listening to decent music these days..." I smiled and told him that it was "John Lennon". He gave me a blank look. "John Lennon...of the Beatles...?" I still smile when I think of it; it registered for him, he shook his head and continued down the hall.

Right before Dad died I went to see him for a week in Florida. He could barely get around, but he wanted to go to a mall in Ft. Myers so I took him. We're walking down the hall and a "punk" is approaching- 8" spiked hair, more piercings than a swiss cheese, metal chains etc. Dear old Dad looks at me, deadpan, and says "You know, Brian, you didn't look so bad when you were younger!" Lord have mercy- he lived long enough to see someone who shocked him more than I did, growing up!

Brian

Well Brian, that just about nails growing up for me too.

I started playing when I was 8, (1968) by the time I was 12/13, 71/72 - probably some of the best years for rock and roll.

I'd be crankin Black Sabbath and trying to steel all of Iommi's licks..

Dear old Dad just couldn't get what I heard in this stuff, but to his credit, he never gave me crap about it. Just said, "Wow, that's a whole lotta noise"

Which is exactly what I heard when I clicked that link..

a whole lotta noise,

But, what the heck, Let them play on,, it's just not for my ears.

I am a lot like " Retired" I prefer more of the bands I grew up with and spend my money on them to watch live, there are some newer bands I like just not that many. Not into hip hop or rap at all and most of the country music is so vanilla and canned it is sickening once again there are some exceptions...but hey I am not trying to convince anyone of what their preferences should be.

I remember kids doing this kind of stuff in opening bands I would see when I was on the road back in the early 1980s. There would see these squeaky skinny teeny little 14 year olds set up, crank their amps up to 12 and then add distortion from rows of effects pedals as the drummer became a ninja blur of noise.

Sometimes watching these kids would literally cause me to laugh out loud at their crazed self indulgent intensity. The thing is, ALL the other 14 year olds absolutely LOVED the stuff! This was the perfect soundtrack for total slam pit action.

Checking the video provided by the OP once again caused me to actually laugh out loud at the total crazed self indulgent lameness of it all, and I'm figuring there must still be hordes of lonely acne infested teenage boys just drooling over the stuff.

I've heard far worse than this though. Far, far worse.

Archived