Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage pickup wiring

Ryanvegas

Made the brutal mistake of cutting these old Gibson pickups right up to the pickup, so as I am just going to re solder the original connection I've come the realization that I don't know what the original connection was.

There are two wires coming out of the pickup, one small black wire and a larger braided wire, I'm aware that the braid on the pickups is the ground, I'm wondering do I just join the wires together and heat shrink them or is the little black wire supposed to ground to the braid on the larger wire? Here are some pics (guess I ran out of upload privadges?)

http://s104.photobucket.com/user/rocker777x666/library/pickups

There we go.

Wow. that's a mess. The black wire should not be sticking out at all. Do you have a multimeter? If you do set it to Ohms and read the resistance from one black wire to the other.

This picture is the one I'm looking at.

6294395B-C7F4-4613-A309-985D095A15AC_zps4cdhyraz.jpg

Here there is one black wire headed through the pickup lead hole with what looks like the brade cut off up inside the hole. Then there is another black wire pinched between the cover and the base plate. That one should be there at all. Someone has had the cover off at some point and it looks like they messed up putting it back on.

Without checking to see what exactly those wires are I wouldn't know. The second wire simply should not be there at all. It should look like this 1972 PATENT NUMBER humbucker I just got in.

E8CBB13A-4D2B-4386-A947-55C24A729F2B_zps16ulay4k.jpg

If it were in my shop I would take the cover off , replace the cut off lead with a new one and figure out what that extra wires for.

Hmmm, they sounded great before I took them out. I don't doubt their functionality I just want to know how to reassemble them, my incompetence was the only variable that changed them and I just want to correct the mistake

Guest Farnsbarns

All I did is snip them I'm just trying to see if anyone knows the original routing.

The oruginal routing didn't include one of those wires. Whether it was done before you had it or not, it isn't normal. Searcy is the pickup expert of the board. He winds pups for a living. I'd take what he tells you as gospel.

That looks just terrible. First off, it needs rewiring. If that's a coil split just sticking out without shielding, there's your hum. Take a multimeter and check the DCR of both hot wires. If one reads around 7 or so and the other reads about half that, it is a coil split wire. If you're not sure about it, give it to someone that is - that poor thing looks messed up enough.

you really need to get that cover off of there and see what they did. (carful or you'll cut the coil wire)

my guess would be the braided shield is tucked inside and probably attached to the wire that's wedged in-between the cover and the base plate.

do you get any readings on your DMM from one of the wires to the baseplate of the pickup? I would think one of them should read Zero.

Take the cover off (by unsoldering the joins) and take some more snaps to see exactly where the black wire comes from.

Then get in touch with Searcy. As Farns has already said Searcy winds p'ups for a living and REALLY knows his stuff.

The p'up might be wax-potted in which case it's dissembly can get slightly messy.

I've read here that the wax can normally be melted soft simply by using a hair-dryer.

Pip.

Take the cover off (by unsoldering the joins) and take some more snaps to see exactly where the black wire comes from.

Then get in touch with Searcy. As Farns has already said Searcy winds p'ups for a living and REALLY knows his stuff.

The p'up might be wax-potted in which case it's dissembly can get slightly messy.

I've read here that the wax can normally be melted soft simply by using a hair-dryer.

Pip.

Yeah I messaged searcy a few days ago, haven't heard anything back yet :( don't really wanna mess anything up

Archived