Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a fake?

LarryUK

http://www.gumtree.c...aul-/1119034203,

This is for sale locally. I think it's fake. The face of the headstock looks like it's been stuck on. Gibson in gold?

...looking at a Gibson in gold lettering now (son's 2009 Studio Deluxe). No nibs...could have been refretted though. Nut slots seem deep...perhaps they get that way after 30 yrs. Bridge posts look real. Truss rod cover close to the nut....hmmmm. The "dot" in Gibson is touching the G....curious. I can't really tell...would need to touch, hear, and taste it...

But Gibson have never done a Standard or a fully moulded guitar with inlays with a screen printed logo, they are inlaid. Someone tell me I'm wrong?

I think there were early studios with binding and screen printed Gibson - I'm not at all sure they ever had trap inlays though. [confused]

But Gibson have never done a Standard or a fully moulded guitar with inlays with a screen printed logo, they are inlaid. Someone tell me I'm wrong?

Studios where screen printed but I thought they all had dots not trapezoids. Can you get him to send a photo of the back or the neck and headstock? Maybe it's a standard with a neck repair and new headstock? Something looks off.

Studios where screen printed but I thought they all had dots not trapezoids. Can you get him to send a photo of the back or the neck and headstock? Maybe it's a standard with a neck repair and new headstock? Something looks off.

+1

Same as I was thinking. Nothing jumps out to me as fake, but the headstock is odd with the screen printed logo. Possibly a neck/headstock repair was done that included a new overlay on the headstock with new decals.

Hello!

Poorly fitted overlay on headstock. That itself would alarm me. Why would someone do that?

It might be just the photos...but the body seems to be thinner than usual, seems somewhat Studio-sized.

I would definitely skip, no matter how cheap it is.

Cheers... Bence

I'm also not sure about this one based on what everyone else has mentioned what do you guys think about tone and volume knobs.. maybe it's the photo, but they don't look positioned right

I'd walk away..

there's plenty more out there.

Archived