Gibson Brands Forums

Sudden GAS attack. A Strat.

btoth76

I hear you but the S-1 switch is interesting. It gives you a little more beef for heavier tunes. Before I got my PRS I used my Strat to play Limelight. Alex layered a ton of guitars on that tune. When I put it back to normal it gave me that classic Strat pop, especially my American with an ash body. I don't use the S-1 switch much anymore, but it's a nice feature.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!

So I went to the shop for test drive. Unfortunately, - despite their website saying it's in stock - they didn't had any of that model in the shop. They said the same thing as my favorite shop: it can be ordered from the regional distributor. Not happy with that, to be honest.

While there, I asked for a MIM Strat. A Standard. They didn't had any Fenders with the Texas Special pickups. [cursing]

So, I tried this guitar, just to have a better picture of a Strat:

fenderstandardstratmnbrownsunburst.jpg

First, I inspected it visually. Looks precisely crafted, no flaws. Very nice sunburst finish.

The neck is satin finished and very comfortable to hold. The guitar wasn't set up, but I never expect that. I agree with the manufacturer's approach of shipping guitars with an optimal setup. (I understand why they do that, I wouldn't do that differently either). Anyways, everyone has his own preferences.

It got connected to a big Peavey all-tube combo. The bridge pickup sounded piercingly bright, but the middle and neck pickup was very pleasing. Also, - I have noticed - they are wired with opposed polarity: when two pickups are on, the hum is gone. It sounded somewhat twangier than my Tele with Hot AlNiCo pickups - but it might have been just due to different amps. The tone controls are really usable, very reactive. The guitar sounded superbly when I rolled back the volume control on it.

Great guitar for the price. I'd definitely buy the Roadhouse Deluxe unseen, if I could get sure somehow, that the guitar I'd receive will be made to the same quality. But, there is no guarantee, right?

I am looking further, to find a shop where I can try the same model I am after.

Cheers... Bence

I would go with a shop with good reputation, and where you can get your money back if you don't like the guitar. Like Thomann's 30 days money back. My last experience showed me one thing, sometimes you have to take the risk. But believe me bro, until I checked the guitar many times and every detail I was worried and scared to death.

Hello Marcos!

The last thing I would do is to order from them.

First, as soon as You add an item to cart it will charge You with Your own, local VAT. It's 27% here, opposed to Germany's 19%.

If You order from UK, they never do this.

Also, if I place an order at a local dealer, the guitar would cost me 220.000 HUF. In Germany and UK, it's 250.000 HUF! That's a hardcase worth of price difference. I don't know the reason behind this, usually even the net price is lower in West-Europe than in Hungary. Not in this case, though. :-k

Cheers... Bence

Hello Marcos!

The last thing I would do is to order from them.

First, as soon as You add an item to cart it will charge You with Your own, local VAT. It's 27% here, opposed to Germany's 19%.

If You order from UK, they never do this.

Also, if I place an order at a local dealer, the guitar would cost me 220.000 HUF. In Germany and UK, it's 250.000 HUF! That's a hardcase worth of price difference. I don't know the reason behind this, usually even the net price is lower in West-Europe than in Hungary. Not in this case, though. :-k

Cheers... Bence

Sounds like we need to open a Guitar Store near you , lucky here that's not a problem. Good luck Bence

4H

Bence just needs to move to the USA! [thumbup]

Yep and we need a update bence , you've got me wanting one of that color

4H

Thank You, both for the invitation! :D

I often feel it would be better somewhere else, but I rather wait until all my fellow countrymen leave the place. Then it would be beautiful place to live in. :D

Anyways, not much progress so far. I couldn't find a Strat with Texas Specials pickups in it to try. As much as I like everything about the guitar's look (obviously, that shouldn't be the main factor), I am afraid of purchasing it unseen. So, it's not easy, but I didn't gave up.

Meanwhile, Dad made me an active impedance-matching preamp for my Les Paul Recording. Now I can use it at it's full potential. It has super-nice Strat tones.

Cheers... Bence

That's a brilliant idea, Rev! [thumbup]

After long-long decades, - finally - the place would be filled with lovely people!

If we could gather a couple of people around here, to clean the place of rats first, I will bring the wine. :)

tokaji_1.jpg

Cheers... Bence

That's a brilliant idea, Rev! [thumbup]

After long-long decades, - finally - the place would be filled with lovely people!

If we could gather a couple of people around here, to clean the place of rats first, I will bring the wine. :)

tokaji_1.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Sounds like a plan to me

4H

Psst I can get that strat in the USA and ship it to you

Thank You! You are a gentleman! [thumbup]

Unfortunately, the Customs officers aren't. Not to mention, the 27% of VAT on S/H too! That's why importing from the U.S. is out of my choices.

But, there is something in progress already. ;)

All I can say now is...

US15010901-serial-large.jpg

More, when it will be in my hands. :)

Cheers... Bence

Mhhhh, Bence! Your a nasty one, slow striptease. Can't wait to see more.

This weekend I looked more closely on a few Squier's, Strat's and Tele's.

I thought they where worse, felt pretty solid. But theres no way I would pay what they where asking for them. But If I would find one used and for a good price it would be fine as travel guitar. Loved the look's of a yellow Tele.

Mhhhh, Bence! Your a nasty one, slow striptease. Can't wait to see more.

This weekend I looked more closely on a few Squier's, Strat's and Tele's.

I thought they where worse, felt pretty solid. But theres no way I would pay what they where asking for them. But If I would find one used and for a good price it would be fine as travel guitar. Loved the look's of a yellow Tele.

Hello Marcos.

I gave up on the yellow one, because I have found something very interesting. Very similiar in appearance, though.

The one, I've found, fits the description "value for the money". ;)

But, it's not in my hands yet. When it will arrive, I will share the whole story behind it.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Marcos.

I gave up on the yellow one, because I have found something very interesting. Very similiar in appearance, though.

The one, I've found, fits the description "value for the money". ;)

But, it's not in my hands yet. When it will arrive, I will share the whole story behind it.

Cheers... Bence

But that head stock serial no. was from USA. hmmmmm

4H

Just got informed: delivery on Friday.

The last example of the model from the regional dealer.

8-[

Best wishes... Bence

That was luck getting the last model , now tick tick the waiting game

you have something to look forward too now.

Fist Bump Bence

4H

Love Strats... [thumbup]

IMO a very 'versatile' easy handling ergonomic work of genius... [biggrin]

Many specs to consider...

Personal favourite is the Arctic White American with standard pickups c.2008...

It can take a while 'living with' to explore all tonal options

And, excuse me for mentioning, complements a Jazzmaster to perfection.... <_< :blink:

Taxi...!!

V

:-({|=

Hello!

To be honest, this is my favorite Strat looks-wise:

fender0017_large.gif

Without the relicing - of course. But that's a Custom Shop model, which is not an option for me. Faded fiesta red (coral) with rosewood fingerboard.

I also love the white/maple fingerboard version too. And the one that is coming. :)

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

To be honest, this is my favorite Strat looks-wise:

fender0017_large.gif

Without the relicing - of course. But that's a Custom Shop model, which is not an option for me. Faded fiesta red (coral) with rosewood fingerboard.

I also love the white/maple fingerboard version too. And the one that is coming. :)

Cheers... Bence

Well, I've been watching this thread with bated breath! I'm looking forward to seeing your Strat Bence! (If indeed it is a Strat...would Bencie throw us a curve-ball?

There is a reason that the original one "fell through" for you. And I suspect this U.S. made guitar will bring you much happiness! I played Strats, Teles and the G&L versions (Legacy and ASAT Classic respectively)for around 40 years and although I am head over heels with my recent discovery of Gibson, a Strat and particularly a Tele, will always have a strong spot in my heart!

C'mon Friday!

Brian

Archived