Gibson Brands Forums

57 classic humbucker noise

barberpool

Greetings all. I am a new member after discovering the board yesterday and have to say what a superb board this is. I have just purchased a signature T in alpine white burst. It's an excellent guitar and my first gibson. Always dreamed of owning a gibson and I have finally managed to get one. First impressions are good, and all seems fine with the guitar, however I have noticed that there is a fair bit of hum noise when I am plugged into my amps. I have a vox nightrain 15w and a blackstar ht 5. I compared it to an epiphone sg 400 pro I have and it's pickups produce no noise at all. I have checked the wiring inside where the volume and tone knobs are but can't see any loose connections although if I touch the side off the pickups when either are selected the him increases. If I press the strings down a little the him decreases. Is this just due to them being open coil and a higher output so it's just something I should accept. I would say they are still quitter than single coils. Thanks

Guest Farnsbarns

Hard to say without hearing it really. If there is a problem it's likely to be with the earth wire from the bridge. You should have a small wire coming from a hole near the neck volume pot and connected to an earth point (usually the back of the neck volume pot).

I guess some noise is acceptable,

However if you've got a lot of hum, that silences when you touch the bridge, Farns is pointing you in the right direction. (Ground fail)

Does your Paul have the pots on a mounting plate? That seems to increase the chance of some ground loop noise (My 02 les paul had this problem)

IME I think it's rarely a problem at the bridge post where the ground wire is attached inside the body, but you can check to see that all the pots are tied together with a ground strap. I added that to my standard it it solved my ground issue completely.

Thanks for the reply guys. It sounds like a grounding issue as when I touch the bridge or tail piece it goes quite, when I touch the pickups with my hand it goes loud. Also seems to be a small hairline crack close to the binding on the cutaway. Looking through past posts on here I noticed a lad had exactly the same issue with his cracking in the same place. He also bought his from thomann as a uk buyer, so I am hoping that's just a coincidence. Really gutted because apart from these issues it plays very well and the fret board and maple top are beautiful. Cheers

Archived