Gibson Brands Forums

Led Zeppelin to release India recordings

Rabs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-33002262

Led Zeppelin to release India recordings

Legendary rock group Led Zeppelin are to unveil previously unheard tracks recorded with Indian musicians during a visit more than four decades ago.

The two tracks - reworked versions of their songs Friends and Four Sticks - are among the songs contained in the band's reissues of three studio albums.

The English rock group were known for their pounding, blues-influenced songs and explosive stadium shows.

They broke up in 1980 following the death of drummer John Bonham.

The band's website said that singer Robert Plant and guitarist Jimmy Page "took a fabled trip to India to perform with the Bombay Orchestra and now, for the first time, recordings from these sessions will be officially released with dynamic takes on Friends and Four Hands (Four Sticks from Led Zeppelin IV album)".

Band members visited India a number of time during 1971-72 during their tours in Asia and "during one of those trips Plant and Page participated in a session with a group of veteran Bollywood session musicians that resulted in reworked versions of Friends and Four Sticks," according to Rezaul H Laskar in the Hindustan Times newspaper.

"Led Zeppelin had not officially released any tracks from the Mumbai session till now though several bootlegs have emerged of the recording. In one bootleg, Page can be heard explaining bars and scales to [late Indian flautist] Vijay Raghav Rao, who gamely tries to convey his instructions to the Indian musicians who had clearly never collaborated with rock musicians".

The songs will be contained in the reissue of Coda, one of the band's final three studio albums that are being released in July. The other two albums are Presence and In Through The Out Door.

All the three albums have been remastered by 71-year-old Page

Rabs;

Cheers mate,

I have been outta here for a spell. Watching too much George Gently tele crime I suppose..Good to see you still have your ears to the rail as we say across the pond here...

That sounds interesting to learn the guys are opening up the vaults sorta speak. R.P. is continually working...But I would hazard a supposition...

Don't suppose J.P. needs the money for his barrister on account of his continuing legal squabbles with his neighbor ; as he attempts to "Renovate his Grade II mansion do ya ?? [confused]

We'll have to wait and see shant we ; as to how important musically ? Venture to say they must be quite good actually...

Again, Cheers Sir..

X

Ohh and theres a Youtube clip.. (of course :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kHSK9Zhhn8

Yes,not bad.Thanks Rabs,

Listened to the whole of the Vid....IMO is could stand a bit of " cleaning-up " via remastering / technically wise..

I have been a fan personally of the Raga Sangeet music style since The Beatles went over to hang with the Maharishi.. Of course Ravi Shankar really was brought into western consciousness by George Harrison big time..Could make the boys a few Quid i'd say....

X

I don't mind that.

Now - I see they are re-releasing ITTOD - perhaps we might get a mix that lifts the vocal track for In The Evening to an appropriate level! (hey Jimmy??)

Always thought there was a decent song in there just strangled by the original mix.

Yes,not bad.Thanks Rabs,

Listened to the whole of the Vid....IMO is could stand a bit of " cleaning-up " via remastering / technically wise..

I have been a fan personally of the Raga Sangeet music style since The Beatles went over to hang with the Maharishi.. Of course Ravi Shankar really was brought into western consciousness by George Harrison big time..Could make the boys a few Quid i'd say....

X

Yeah, well Jimmy says that hes basically updating the albums with the latest technology in sound as per this interview.. so its more about getting the best sound possible (and these days we have HD sound formats)... Of course that could all be an excuse just to do it (and we all know they will sell) and its extra cash for all involved...

Check this interview

Archived