Gibson Brands Forums

Love, Love Me Do!

j45nick

Yeeee, , , eeeeeehhh, , , very small picture and the scratches - tho positioned right - have different (bigger) shapes. Besides Lennon's obviously went through the finish.

Think we need more detailed information - where fx is the 1962 receipt from Rushworth's with the serial #'s of the two J-160E's. .

Where is the scientific evidence from expert A. Barbiuk so far ?

Don't wanna shoot this down - would really like it to happen, buuut. . .

Don't wanna shoot this down - would really like it to happen, buuut. . .

It almost seems too good to be true. The provenance will have to be impeccable if it's going to sell for big bucks.

His Gibson guitar went missing in 1963 during the Beatles' Finsbury Park Christmas Show

Sounds to me like it's a stolen guitar. Yoko should be able to claim it on a phone call, AND file charges.

Sounds to me like it's a stolen guitar. Yoko should be able to claim it on a phone call, AND file charges.

That's exactly what I was thinking, it has to be stolen property. It's a bit like someone selling Jimmy Page's fabled Les Paul Black Beauty, everyone knows it was stolen during the early 70's, if it came up for sale now, someone would have some explaining to do.

Ian

I was wondering what JL would pick if he was looking today for an electro - acoustic Gibson? (Not a lot of choice electricity-wise at the time he picked the J160e).

Now, well, so many choices and so many systems to get an acoustic sound!

But my guess would be the Gibson J45 Standard! Ahem!

BluesKing777.

The 4-fingered rhythm guitarist with the first J - J-160Eworn.jpg

Strange picture. I tried to replicate it by hiding my index finger behind my thumb, but I guess I'm not in Big Thumb Tony's league.

About those 160Es "This is really a tale of two guitars. Harrison bought an electrified "jumbo" acoustic on 10 September 1962, the same day Lennon bought one, at Rushworth and Dreaper's Music in Liverpool. (In photo at left, assistant manager James Rushworth poses with the lads.) Almost immediately they got the identical guitars mixed up, for the one Harrison had all those years since is registered to Lennon. Lennon's (actually, George's) was stolen in December 1963 at the Finsbury Astoria Theatre in London during the Christmas show. So, after little more than a year, having been used in the studio (Please Please Me, With the Beatles) and on stage, this guitar disappeared into the London fog. But Harrison continued to use "Lennon's" jumbo through the Sgt. Pepper sessions; he later claimed he gave it away, but it shows up in Beatles gear as still in his possession. "

I know most maybe don't like the sound of the J-160E, but for me, it still has a unique enough sound that I would never trade for any other guitar for those Beatles songs. All the other Acoustic Electrics would, IMHO, sound too much Same ol'-same ol' and don't hold that "sound" appeal.

Just me I guess. I love mine. If I could ONLY get it to sound like THE BOYS with playing & tone, then my life would be complete. [biggrin][biggrin]

Aster

I know most maybe don't like the sound of the J-160E, but for me, it still has a unique enough sound that I would never trade for any other guitar for those Beatles songs. All the other Acoustic Electrics would, IMHO, sound too much Same ol'-same ol' and don't hold that "sound" appeal.

Just me I guess. I love mine. If I could ONLY get it to sound like THE BOYS with playing & tone, then my life would be complete. [biggrin][biggrin]

Agree - there's a certain flavour in the ladder-braced semi-laminated slopes that adds an edge to even the softies in the B-catalogue.

On the philosophical tangent, the question is whether this is an egg/hen situation. I mean we don't really miss the acoustic-electrics in the later D-28 and J-200 songs, , , and certainly not in Pauls things like fx Yesterday, which would have been barbed-wired by a 160.

On the philosophical tangent, the question is whether this is an egg/hen situation. I mean we don't really miss the acoustic-electrics in the later D-28 and J-200 songs, , , and certainly not in Pauls things like fx Yesterday, which would have been barbed-wired by a 160.

The magic is that this guitar is from the early days: their first "real" guitars, even. They were full of energy and promise, way beyond "yeah, yeah, yeah".

I had no idea what a J-160 E was back then, but I could pick that guitar out in an instant now based on sound alone.

The magic is that this guitar is from the early days: their first "real" guitars, even. They were full of energy and promise, way beyond "yeah, yeah, yeah".

I had no idea what a J-160 E was back then, but I could pick that guitar out in an instant now based on sound alone.

Agree 100 %.

You know I was an early starter and got the first Beatles-book before I could read. http://eil.com/image...y-Of-317600.jpg

In the middle was a lot of black'n'white pics and the J-160E's definitely came across. Not sure if it was published overseas.

So make no mistake - to me the re-emerging Lennon guitar is nothing short of sensational. Much bigger than the way it's been exposed so far.

Time will come after it. .

Agree 100 %.

You know I was an early starter and got the first Beatles-book before I could read. http://eil.com/image...y-Of-317600.jpg

In the middle was a lot of black'n'white pics and the J-160E's definitely came across. Not sure if it was published overseas.

So make no mistake - to me the re-emerging Lennon guitar is nothing short of sensational. Much bigger than the way it's been exposed so far.

Time will come after it. .

Just for you, Em7...

Actually, it sounds like a classic case of letting it "cool off".......

Yes, both the 1963 steal and the 2013 find, , , actually the whole tale, is under-expressed.

It IS a big story, not only for Board-members and Beatles freaks and it needs to be exposed.

It must be possible to track the line down link by link, deal by deal, sleeping nest by sleeping nest.

Where was it while the band recorded Revolver.

Where was it while its stand-in performed Give Peace a Chance.

Where was it when its righteous owner went into hiatus, , , when he sadly was taken away from the planet, when his son released his debute album etc. . .

Guess 50 years cool off period is what can be expected of such a hot item.

Archived