Gibson Brands Forums

bone saddle & bridge pins in J-15

hardycreek1

Wow, I can't believe the difference! I just replaced the tusq saddle with a Stew Mac unbleached bone saddle (had to file it down to length but the width was fine) AND put in some Bob Colosi bone bridge pins. Deeper bass, longer sustain, more pronounced articulation. Amazing sound out of my J-15, which is about a week old. I would show you some fotos but not sure how to do that. I guess I have to put them up on a web page somewhere like photobucket or snapfish?

Anyone else have the same experience with a J-15?

Glad you notice a difference -

Some will say it's all placebo, but I definitely support'n'share your experience and believe the sensibility about this could be a matter of playing style, , ,

and maybe shape of inner ears :rolleyes:

I love the sound of walnut, will have to look into a J-15 and of course the nut and saddle will be changed to bone along with the end pins. I hate plastic for these parts.

I played a J-35 and thought that was what I wanted, but after hearing the two side by side, the J-15 won out. And after putting the bone pins and saddle in it, it just rocks. I am still amazed. It is a delight just to strum and listen to its voice singing sweet melodies.

My J-15 a keeper too nice deep warm sounds

J-15 amazes me - sounds as good as guitars that cost twice as much. My only concern wold be a long-term one, like 20 years from now - will the fret board and the bridge plate hold up, as walnut is a softer wood than rosewood.

But the sound is awesome. Deep, articulate, balanced. Hard to describe, but it sounds like music to my ears!

Just curious - are those mini Grover's? Did you have to adjust the holes in the head at all? Or was it a simple swap without having to drill a larger hole?

Same tuners as the stock, only in gold. Direct fit.

Some attractive pictures in this thread.

The sofa-one is delicate - and those small golden Grovers very special (and new to me) (they also come in chrome).

The dramatic back above is really a character. Prrretty.

Archived