Gibson Brands Forums

How do you use your guitar?

My vote has been cast. Good question. Guitar playing is one of the few things I have, also riding my Harley's & mowing my lawn, that is a stress buster in my life. You know "Play to Live, Live to Play" to alter & steal a Harley biker saying! [biggrin]

Aster

I'm a lucky person.

For most of my life, I've been able to make a living doing music and nothing but music.

That includes:

• 90% Playing in front of a live audience - sax (tenor, alto, soprano), flute, wind synthesizer, guitar, vocals and in the past bass, keyboard synthesizer and drums
  • 10% Wrting aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith - which utilizes my experience on the guitar to make the MIDI guitar parts sound as real as possible
  • In the past I did a fair amount of 'hired axe' studio work, but the studios I used to work for have become victims of the digital home recording tools

I had two 'day jobs' in my life. I was experimenting with what it is to be a normal person - but I found out I'm just not normal. I did 'weekend warrior' gigs while working those day jobs.

Although I'm much better on sax/flute/wind synth than I am on guitar, I probably play about 1/3 of our songs on guitar. It's especially nice when I'm singing - as I can't sing and play sax at the same time (but if I ever work that out, I'm going on one of those TV talent shows). ;)

Notes

I'm a lucky person.

For most of my life, I've been able to make a living doing music and nothing but music.

That includes:

• 90% Playing in front of a live audience - sax (tenor, alto, soprano), flute, wind synthesizer, guitar, vocals and in the past bass, keyboard synthesizer and drums
  • 10% Wrting aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith - which utilizes my experience on the guitar to make the MIDI guitar parts sound as real as possible
  • In the past I did a fair amount of 'hired axe' studio work, but the studios I used to work for have become victims of the digital home recording tools

I had two 'day jobs' in my life. I was experimenting with what it is to be a normal person - but I found out I'm just not normal. I did 'weekend warrior' gigs while working those day jobs.

Although I'm much better on sax/flute/wind synth than I am on guitar, I probably play about 1/3 of our songs on guitar. It's especially nice when I'm singing - as I can't sing and play sax at the same time (but if I ever work that out, I'm going on one of those TV talent shows). ;)

Notes

You are indeed a lucky person!

I know someone from a different forum who uses BIAB extensively for his practice (and possibly teaching?). He is a great advocate of it.

Roland Kirk's circular breathing allowed him to play without pausing for breath. Jack Lancaster could play two saxes simultaneously. Crack the singing & sax playing thing & you've trumped both of them!

Guest Farnsbarns

You are indeed a lucky person!

I know someone from a different forum who uses BIAB extensively for his practice (and possibly teaching?). He is a great advocate of it.

Roland Kirk's circular breathing allowed him to play without pausing for breath. Jack Lancaster could play two saxes simultaneously. Crack the singing & sax playing thing & you've trumped both of them!

I can circular breathe due to playing the didgeridoo. I can circular breathe when playing cornet/trumpet but I've never tried through a sax. I do have one so maybe one day I'll try.

Good topic! It good to see how everyone is using their talents and abilities and also to realize, on paper, just how much a part of my life guitars are!

I'd have checked "buying and selling" but I don't do it intentionally...I don't think... :rolleyes:

Also, as always- SO COOL to "hear" the stories and experiences!

Brian

Guest Farnsbarns

I ticked most of the boxes, including playing in a band. I actually don't at the moment but I have historically and certainly intend to again.

T-Barns nearly came about when I met up with Tman but the distance would be an issue. About 6000 miles. [biggrin]

I didn't click on "Play in a band" but I am almost there. Working on a RUSH Tribute/Cover band with my son(bass) and a drummer. All we need is a vocalist. If the vocalist could also play a little keys, that would be great too.

though i am not very skilful or good as a player, i find the guitar relatively forgiving versus instruments you blow into so i like it. I can get through a gig on bass too, but its closer to Vicious than Entwistle [biggrin] .

as for using the guitar - a couple of bands, some song writing for them, and just for fun learning to play (sort of) songs i like!

Could you make more than one choice? If so I would have added Personal Hobby or whatever in addition to Bands/Duo/Orchestra.

Of course I play for personal satisfaction/hobby. But I would probably get bored with it if I didn't have at least a few jams or gigs to look forward to each year.

Matter of fact, my newest band has our first gig this Saturday night. :rolleyes:

Could you make more than one choice? ....

Matter of fact, my newest band has our first gig this Saturday night. :rolleyes:

[thumbup] Knock 'em dead.

You can choose multiple answers too. I chose, hobby, band, recording, and songwriting.

If you're adding any more vote selections please sign me up for the BIG on. Playing music for my 2 Springer Spaniels. [biggrin]

The young one sees me going for the acoustic and RUNS in to get a good seat first. I will say they enjoy an acoustic concert better than the electric side of the coin. And they Don't really like a Ric with Toasters (like my 325C64). They can get a little bright with harmonics esp. thru the AC15 Vox.

Aster

Not so much 'writing' for me. I usually start with some blank melody in my head, and build on that. Never really formally written any kind of music, or had a gameplan when building a song. I just let it flow from my fingers, and if it sounds good, I'll keep it, and just add layers until I get what I want. Everything's always in one take (unless it's so terrible I erase, and back to thinking up something). Used to pursue the band thing, but after dealing with egos/drugs/booze found that I enjoy home recording more than anything else except getting out on those rare occasions to an open-mic somewhere...

Many of the above. I started playing bass i a bar band at age 15 in 1963, and played in various bands in the Philly and New York state area for about 12 years. P;ay guitar, bass and a little harmonica and have been a lead singer.

I have played solo acoustic a few times, jammed and sat in with others...not often enough...stopped playing for years and started again in my late 50's. I'm going on 68, and am beginning to do some home recording and start playing out again via an open mic late this month. I play for fun, learn more all the time and still love to play and hear good guitar playing, no matter what type of music. I have also bought and sold quite a few guitars of almost all types. I have several more put away, although I don't think of myself as a collector...

I heard my grandfather's Les Paul singles when I was about 4, and that sound started my lifelong interest. Guitar has been THE most constant interest in my life along with reading.

Happy 100th, Les, and thanks very much...you made things a lot more interesting!

Never really formally written any kind of music, or had a gameplan when building a song. I just let it flow from my fingers, and if it sounds good, I'll keep it...

That, my friend, is writing music. Play what you like, play what sounds good!

...I enjoy home recording more than anything else except getting out on those rare occasions to an open-mic somewhere...

The capabilities for home recording these days are simply fantastic, especially for multitracking. I'll sometimes play at parties, but that's about it for live performance (except for the occasional sit-in at a club).

Archived