Gibson Brands Forums

Against DennisB's advice....

Cougar

Yes, against DennisB's advice, and against my own best judgment, I just bid on and won a guitar off ebay from a seller with one transaction in the past year. Normally that's a red flag for me, but this was just such a nice looking acoustic-electric sunburst Takamine GJ72CE-12 BSB... and nobody else bid! I'll take it! Fortunately, I haven't had the nirvana-istic experience Dennis has had with all solid wood Guilds, so I think this one is going to sound just fine to me, especially plugged in. [thumbup] Now we'll see if it arrives OK. Or if it arrives at all. :unsure:

gc72ce.jpg

Who's DennisB ? Lol and it looks nice going dig up the specs now since some slacker who's name I will with hold never posted them . 😜🍺

Ok I see them still wanting to stay laminated huh ? Well who am I to say lol it looks nice and I'm hoping it sounds for you . As always audio please 😃

Ok I see them still wanting to stay laminated huh ?

Yeah, lam flamed maple back and sides, solid spruce top. They're ~$600 new. Here's the auction. (Click the small photo for bigger photos.) Gonna need me a case. Gotta figure out which one fits....

Cougar,

Congrats man hope it works out for you. As we all know...guitars are so individualized and personal that opinions differ greatly. I was so p.o.'d at Sweetwater that it ruined the entire experience for me...but THE ONE I HAD did sound thin to me. If it works for you then I'm elated. 12 strings are the most fickle of all guitars IMHO. Someone said there are two days that you are happy to own a 12 string...the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I thought about it and yea, that's kinda true for most of them...lol.

I really miss my Guild F-412 and I'm actively on the hunt. Do your self a favor and if you see a real Guild 12 string don't pick it up...btw I have to take the Tak off my header one day. I will say that the Tak had the best action out of the box, of any 12 I've ever played.

Hey Cougar, I have a Tak 12 string I bought about 5 years ago. I played a wall model in a store, asked for one from the back in the box and took it home. Somehow all that I loved in terms of playability in the store was nowhere to be found on the guitar I had brought home. The action was simply killing me.

On a hunch while changing strings I decided to sand down the saddle. As I pulled the saddle out of the bridge, I discovered not one, not two, but THREE relatively thick hard plastic shims inserted into the piezo saddle pickup! Three of 'em! I removed them carefully so as to not damage the pickup, replaced the saddle and it was a whole different guitar.

If you have trouble with the action on yours, check for shims in the saddle before taking your guitar in for an expensive set up, and good luck. I love the sound of mine, yours should be just as sweet.

...a seller with one transaction in the past year. Normally that's a red flag for me....

Now I know why new sellers are a red flag. Just got a note from paypal saying the seller canceled the deal and returned the payment. [cursing] He gave some bogus excuse about "family emergency." I didn't lose anything... except the expectation for a gorgeous burst a/e 12-string. [cursing]

Cougar,

Congrats man hope it works out for you. As we all know...guitars are so individualized and personal that opinions differ greatly. I was so p.o.'d at Sweetwater that it ruined the entire experience for me...but THE ONE I HAD did sound thin to me. If it works for you then I'm elated. 12 strings are the most fickle of all guitars IMHO. Someone said there are two days that you are happy to own a 12 string...the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I thought about it and yea, that's kinda true for most of them...lol.

I really miss my Guild F-412 and I'm actively on the hunt. Do your self a favor and if you see a real Guild 12 string don't pick it up...btw I have to take the Tak off my header one day. I will say that the Tak had the best action out of the box, of any 12 I've ever played.

Hey D if you haven't already stop over (might have to Sign up) at lets talk guild .

The fs/ft thread is the place for guilds these folks like to keep guitars in house . Some times when you don't find what your looking for and post about it someone decides to sell . That's where I bought f212 XLCE I just joined to ask questions next thing I know I'm in debt lmao .

Now I know why new sellers are a red flag. Just got a note from paypal saying the seller canceled the deal and returned the payment. [cursing] He gave some bogus excuse about "family emergency." I didn't lose anything... except the expectation for a gorgeous burst a/e 12-string. [cursing]

Dig deep my Epi friend things are meant to happen for a reason . Here's opportunity to look for some guilds . If can you not absolutely go American built

Check out the New westerly built line from guild it's the revamped Gad series . If you look you'll see the f1512

Or This deal

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/blueridge_br_140_12/35915/103165

Or better yet this one

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/blueridge_br_160_12/35915/100178

I was going this route myself but I really wanted an American built guitar .

I really like my blueridge well made clean and great finish . If do go this way just sure you tell Maury how picky you are and make sure it's 100% before they ship it .

As for the new guild line I'm expecting a little better guitar then the Gad series. I had f130rce I did like it a lot but I though it had some tone issues father up the neck I went but it is a triple O body . Build quality was top notch !

You will be pleased with all solid wood 12 .

Just realized there's a a guild g212 for 1,400 1977 on the LTG Forum very pretty

If this works here's a pic http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/Keith7940236/media/G212/IMG_0020_zpshr6ja4ga.jpg.html

He probably didn't get what he wanted for it...I would appeal to Ebay just to curb this sort of nonsense. A deal is a deal IMHO....

Exactly. What a jerk. It would have been a pretty good deal, although one went for less a couple weeks ago. I really like that burst, haha. Well, I knew it was risky, and no loss, according to paypal. I'm running out of room, anyway. :rolleyes:

That's where I bought f212 XLCE I just joined to ask questions next thing I know I'm in debt lmao .

Haha! Unfortunately I can't justify a really nice, but high-priced 12-string. I'm surprised, though, to see that all solid wood Blueridge 12 (gloss finish [wink] ) spruce over mahogany for around $650 new. (The Tak GJ72ce-12 with lam back & sides is $600 new.) I might be looking for one of those used. Except it's not a burst! I really liked that burst, lol.

Might not be bogus - I had a similar experience a few years back with a MARANTZ CD 63 Mk2 Ken Ishiwata Signature player which I'd won at a real giveaway price. The buyer refunded the money and also cited a family emergency so I contacted him querying this and it transpired that the actual seller had suffered a major heart attack and was in intensive care. His son had cancelled the deal because he didn't know when (or even if) his father was going to be coming home, he obviously had more important things to worry about and didn't want me hanging on and on as he felt it would be unfair to me. We had a brief exchange of emails in which I said for him to reinstate the transaction, tell his father that I hope he recovers soon but don't worrry about me and that I would happily wait until his father had recovered. Six weeks later an immaculate classic CD player arrived on my doorstep. You never know!

Might not be bogus....

Well, maybe. He said he had to leave the country - family emergency. How many ebay transactions did your seller have? But you're right - I should contact the guy, pretend I believe him ("Oh, sorry about your family troubles...."), and see if there's any way to complete the deal, maybe after a couple weeks. I think Dennis is probably right, though - the guy didn't get enough for the guitar and bailed.

Well, maybe. He said he had to leave the country - family emergency. How many ebay transactions did your seller have? But you're right - I should contact the guy, pretend I believe him ("Oh, sorry about your family troubles...."), and see if there's any way to complete the deal, maybe after a couple weeks. I think Dennis is probably right, though - the guy didn't get enough for the guitar and bailed.

Cougar

You know if you sold that Maple EF to me you could look at the Guild..jus' sayin'...lol

Staying the guild side I posted the gad series just posting the Westerly series which is the new line MIC list for 1279.00 retails about 900.00 for the rosewood Sitka . The blueridge rosewood /Sitka was a little cheaper .

You might the gad f1512 used for a good price . Anyways better then laminate that's my take always will be. So I won't bug ya no more one it just wanted to see the new guild .

http://guildguitars.com/g/westerly-f-1512e/. And yes no sunburst ! Lol

Archived