Gibson Brands Forums

My Rifle, Pony and Me

flatbaroque

First heard this on the Sopranos.Tony S. was watching the movie Rio Bravo that had this song in it. A duet by Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.

One of the best cowboy songs.Written by the great writer of western movie songs and soundtracks Dimitri Tiomkin.

Everyone here could play this one.Not only are cowboy chords permitted...they are mandatory [biggrin].

The original in the movie is excellent.Best not watch before mine!

Mmmm...Cowboy chords! My dad's best friend from childhood was a stunt man in Rio Bravo and many other John Wayne films.

He died on set in an accident, in the late 60's. I remember that he had a D-28 that he bought new in the early 60's. He was very proud of that guitar.

I love the American West, and cowboy songs.

As do I.

I never really understood the whole "don't be a Cowboy" attitude.

I spent 1970 through 1981 in Arizona and loved every minute of it. Cut my teeth playing "Outlaw" songs in bars when they were "new". Along side the classics.

I played a he11uva lot of Classic Rock when it was new back in those days as well, but have never lost my love for the original Western music.

Nobody messed with Cowboys. Maybe this World needs a few more Cowboys.....

It's a bit ironic that this cowboy song was written by a Ukrainian-born, Russian-trained composer of Hollywood film scores.

I wanted to be Ricky Nelson when I was a kid. He always got the girl.

It's a bit ironic that this cowboy song was written by a Ukrainian-born, Russian-trained composer of Hollywood film scores.

I wanted to be Ricky Nelson when I was a kid. He always got the girl.

And one of the most successful singer of cowboy songs was Francesco Paulo LoVechio...aka Frankie Laine. Born and bred in Chicago's "Little Italy".

Ozzie and Harriet was even big in Oz.After school watching.

Nice job FB. Believe it or not, writing cowboy songs is not easy - last one I tried to write ended up being about homelessness and Christmas. There is a saying "All hat, no cattle'. That would describe me. I don't like horses, and they don't like me. The best recent cowboy stuff I have learned was written by John Reedy somewhere in Montana. Love the harp work, ya done good.

All the cowboys I see anymore, around where I live, are vaqueros. They tend to listen to mostly polka type music.

Vaquero-type polka was good enough for Johnny Cash (Ring of Fire), so it's good enough for me. Which came first: the vaquero, or the cowboy?

And one of the most successful singer of cowboy songs was Francesco Paulo LoVechio...aka Frankie Laine. Born and bred in Chicago's "Little Italy".

Ozzie and Harriet was even big in Oz.After school watching.

And now played by a rich Australian mining heir while overlooking his Sydney Harbour view after finishing a glorious painting (on the wall)......

Loved it, FB!

Horses, vivid horse stories while watching your vid!

One.... Girls from school adjisted horses on a river bank near me when I was a kid, so of course next thing I am belting along bareback...Yi Yi Yi.

Two....many years later, I went on a Trailride with a group of friends including a very pretty girl of course, through a mountain track, but the horse they gave me got picked on by ALL the other horses, so I dragged along way behind for hours and hours in the dust....until we hit the home stretch, and then we went hurtling past all of them to get to the feed first......Yi Yi Yi....

Three....the Boss bought a horse and adjisted it out in the hills and I was too busy to go normally! But as things always catch up, I had to go there and I had one look at this effer and there was no way I was getting on it. So I stood to the side after getting boos and cat calls and all that embarrasing peer pressure stuff from the horsey bullies.... The Boss asked me to give her a leg up, I believe it was called "Sunny", thats right...... And Sunny bolted with the Boss on it...went straight for the fence at the other end of the paddock.....screeched to a stop.....turned...bolted back straight towards .......Me! Then threw the Princess at my feet at 50 or so mph, and she landed like a sack of potatoes....we all thought she was dead lying there...Yi Yi Yi .......she got up and scraped off and laughed...Well, that's it...forget it.

Thanks for the memories, FB!

BluesKing777.

Archived