Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Nighthawk Custom reissue still around?

jfine

Have they discontinued the Nighthawk Custom reissue? I saw on their website that they still offer the 2014 Quilt version, but for how long? I'd love to get one of the purple ones if they're still available--I should have bought the Gibson version in the '90's. One of the best designs Gibson/Epiphone ever came up with.

I see a few in Trans Blue or Trans Black still available from Musicians Friend and associated BB stores. But I don't see the Trans Purple.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-nighthawk-custom-quilt-electric-guitar?pfm=sp

Stratosphere has some bare bones bodies with neck in Fireburst (again no purple) at a fairly cheap price but you will need to add all the hardware yourself. Which is what a lot of players do with their EPIs anyway.

http://www.stratosphereparts.com/gibson-epiphone-nighthawk-body-neck-guitar-aaa-flame-top-fireburst-50-off/

If you want the real deal USA version there are still a few around if you check the online stores.

The Nancy Wilson's are really great guits if you can find one.

Have you thought about the new Blueshawk RI? Not the same as the NH but should be a great little guitar in it's own right.

Good luck with your search.

D.

I see a few in Trans Blue or Trans Black still available from Musicians Friend and associated BB stores. But I don't see the Trans Purple.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-nighthawk-custom-quilt-electric-guitar?pfm=sp

Stratosphere has some bare bones bodies with neck in Fireburst (again no purple) at a fairly cheap price but you will need to add all the hardware yourself. Which is what a lot of players do with their EPIs anyway.

http://www.stratosphereparts.com/gibson-epiphone-nighthawk-body-neck-guitar-aaa-flame-top-fireburst-50-off/

If you want the real deal USA version there are still a few around if you check the online stores.

Have you thought about the new Blueshawk RI? Not the same as the NH but should be a great little guitar in it's own right.

D.

• 4 weeks later...

D.

If I were to buy a bare botnes body from Stratosphere can the rest of the parts be found to complete it? I know PU's can be gotten from Seymour Duncan, tuners and a TOM bridge aren't a problem, but what about the wiring, switch, etc.

If I were to buy a bare botnes body from Stratosphere can the rest of the parts be found to complete it? I know PU's can be gotten from Seymour Duncan, tuners and a TOM bridge aren't a problem, but what about the wiring, switch, etc.

try Stew Mac for wiring and switches.

The NH wiring is pretty straight forward. Standard 5 way switch with push pull pots so those parts shouldn't be much of a problem.

The pickups available from SD are a great upgrade.Even if you buy a complete guitar you might consider changing to them. But there are other pups that will work well too.

I think the tough part to find would be a bridge. It's not a TOM bridge. it's a string through strat hard tail sort of thing. I see Stratosphere doesn't have any right now but there is a real deal Gibson USA version on ebay at a good price. I'm sure there are some aftermarket bridges that could be made to work but you would have to do some measuring and fitting to be sure.

I hope that helps. Good luck with the project.

D

edit: Just realized that the new Blueshawk RI will use the same bridge as the NH. So those bridges should be readily available soon.

Worked a deal with GC yesterday. Picked up a used trans black Nighthawk for $250. At that price it was only $20 more than just the body/neck. I can play it, see what I want to change, and even return it if I end up not liking it. Seemed like the best way to go. Thanks for the input.

Good to hear yamahajer. [thumbup] I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Picked up the Nighthawk on Friday. The good, it looks like brand new. In fact, still had the plastic protectors over the pickups. And the factory did a great job cosmetically. Beautiful! The bad, the setup was horrible. The actions was extremely high and the intonation was terrible. Spent the day today setting it up and all I can say is I'm in love. It is everything I hoped it would be. Amazing range of tone, with only a 5-way switch and a tone knob to get to them all. And it's about 4 pounds lighter than my Genesis. So, while the Genesis with her flamed maple dark red finish and gold hardware is, by far, the prettiest guitar I have, I think she's gonna take a back seat to the Nighhawk. For everyday playability, there's just no comparison. Great job Epiphone!!!!!

Archived