Gibson Brands Forums

1936 carson J. Robison

vintedge

I picked up an X-braced CJRobison 1-3/4 nut; 2-3/8" at bridge. This one sounds better than the the three L-00's I had (except the 12 fret '32 Tuxedo) This one started life as ladder braced and was redone before I traded for it. It just is a great volume and balanced guitar. I am lucky to own it.

Also, I see there is a great looking 1941 J-35 Blonde on the Cotten Music website...seems like a good price by the VG price guide...would depend on all the details.

-Vint

post-52997-001360200 1433697872_thumb.jpg

post-52997-069011600 1433697881_thumb.jpg

That's a heluva an endorsement. Is it just a bigger/louder, or more balanced than the L00's. I've had 4 thirties era L00's and keep going back to that model, so I guess I'm stuck on the tone and feel. My 12 fretter is all mahog natural. I seem to pick this one up most often. I take it your black one was a spruce top though.

Sometimes the bracing switch doesn't hit the mark. Guess you hit a good one.

Only $10,500 for the J-35? Uh oh...there's gonna' be a stampede from the guys here to grab that sucka' up. It's why credit was invented.

Welcome to the forum... That's a nice Carson J. - many of these conversion guitars end up being spared heavy play wear earlier on in their days, as they're a more specific sound in their ladder-braced (or the Hawaiian setup in the case of the Smecks) form. Yours looks to be in great shape, and apparently passed muster against your previous L-00's. The bound soundhole is a nice touch, and that Wards department store label inside is a cool timestamp. How 'bout a headstock shot? ; ).

Enjoy.

I don't know who did the conversion -I was at a guitar show, happened to see it - had no idea that it had been converted, just the sound and the feel hit me square in the sweet spot. ended up trading a reso-lectric and a 12 fret Kalamazoo wide nut Hawaiian for it. Tried to load a head stock shot but it won't let me...-says I have to have it under 161kb...

As a rule of thumb I take 30% off the VGP to get to the "human being" price.

The conversion did not happen to have been done by John Arnold was it? Reason I ask is he is the guy who did the bracing conversion of Roy Bookbinder's CJR Jumbo.

I do not own a Gibson-made CJR at the moment but I do keep a late 1930s Regal-made version around.

As you mention the tuners, I originally bought the Regal only because I was planning to snag the Kluson tuners. They are the same as on your guitar but the Regals came with the "valve covers." But as it turned out I ended up putting the guitar on the road. Now you got me thinking maybe this one would be a prime candidate for a bracing conversion.

Kay4_zpsd3fcd591.jpg

I also have an X-braced '40 Kalamazoo SB KG-14 with maple back and sides that I really like. this one was done by David Sheppard. This is the one that the Waterloos are made after I believe but it sounds better ...

Great looking Robison vintedge!

I'm also a bit surprised that you've noted that it sounds better than the three L-00's you've had...congrats!

That J-35 at Cotton looks good, but I'm curious about the overspray. Still, it's the scalloped two-tone bar version which tend to be most coveted.

Gary's Guitars has a '41 two-non scalloped tone bars for $9,500 that looks pretty good too. J-35's are the best!

I was surprised also, I've had an almost perfect '34, 36, '37 and 2 '32 12 fret tuxedo models. It sounds better to me than all except the one beat up 12 fret '32, I called Frankenstein.. I knew it in 10 minutes of picking it up. Chunky V neck on this one, very comfy to play. I play it everyday. I just traded for a Henry L. Mason ladder braced - a bit beat up but structurally sound- it's out for neck set

That J-35 sounded fantastic when Vince was playing it. He said it was light and a mighty good one. His fingers looked like they were barely moving....A crowd drew up and people were bugging him for autographs. One guy out of the crowd called his wife then handed the phone to him and said talk to her, she'll be thrilled...He took all this fandango in gentlemanly stride, signed all the autographs, shook all the hands, talked to the guys wife, and just kept on smiling in calm understanding. What a great star, gentleman, and musician.

That J-35 sounded fantastic when Vince was playing it. He said it was light and a mighty good one. His fingers looked like they were barely moving....A crowd drew up and people were bugging him for autographs. One guy out of the crowd called his wife then handed the phone to him and said talk to her, she'll be thrilled...He took all this fandango in gentlemanly stride, signed all the autographs, shook all the hands, talked to the guys wife, and just kept on smiling in calm understanding. What a great star, gentleman, and musician.

Wow! Did I miss something in one of your previous posts? Was "Vince" actually Vince Gill? Too cool!

Must be nice to live in such close vicinity to great guitar shops and players. My repair shop is about 2 hours away and their Vince Gill story dates back to the 80's (Folklore Centre, Halifax, NS). haha

Archived