Gibson Brands Forums

1st Run LE Robot

Homz

If any of you know a good starting price for one of these please e mail me.

I am going to sell mine. It has only been played a couple of times and is basically an ornament in my guitar display case. I purchased it new and the serial # is in the 17XXs'.

Thanks.

I was going to ask the same question about current value. Not neccessarily going to sell, but was curious. Mine is numbered in the low 900's but I don't think that would change much from the above estimate.

Speaking in that vain, I know the GOR's are only a year old and the difference of an unplayed and played one aren't that different if in new condition. But, I wonder what you all believe - I think a 59 LP that was bought as an investment and put in the closet doesn't have the value to me that one which was purchased, played lightly and put in the closet has, and one that was played regularly and kept nice has an even higher value to me. I think that with all wood instruments, as they dry and cure they take on the vibrations of being played. My '61 Martin sounds like it remembers every cord and note it's projected.

I wish someone could do a 10 year experiment with 2 identical guitars and have kids play nonsense on one and a guitar virtuoso play the other one and see if they sound identical after the experiment. (I know, they would have to be stored and maintained the same way and played the same number of hours and alot of other variable)

I saw a Blue Silverburst at GC a couple of weeks ago with a RETAIL price tag of $2800 (and then you add tax to that). Assuming they got it at some type of wholesale price, and I think they want to make at least 25%, I would imagine they paid at the most $2100. Also, in Nov 2008, GC/Gibson had a clear-out of Robots which included Limited Editions and they listed out at $1700. So Alouf's $1700 to my max wholesale guess of $2100 with a max of $2800 real retail is a range.

I really don't think serial numbers matter at all... Really, no...

When you say GC/Gibson had clearance of Limited Edition robots in nov or 08, are ther any other limited editions other than the first run robots? If not, how could there be any GOR's left? Gibson themselves claimed that theywere all sold out in less than a week.

Mine was LP Studio LTD from GC for $1699 and was purchased Oct. 5, 08. That price was good until gone and as various colors sold out you were stuck with what was left. Fortunately I was able to get the color I wanted because I jumped right on the deal. I emailed Gibson and asked if that was the end of Robot production. They emailed me back that they had no plan to discontinue the Robot model. The newer ones had a few different colors after mine. I also had the bound fretboard but, no pickguard. Some of the newer ones have a pickguard and no fretboard binding. Some people are dis-satisfied with the finishing without the binding. The binding really finishes it off nicely. Mine was made on May 9, 08 so it was not an original first run. After the first run more were made because of popularity.

The GOR I saw at GC selling at that price was labeled "used", although it looked to be in mint condition in my opinion.

After Gibson created the Blue Silverburst guitar, they created four other Les Paul Robot Limited Edition guitars that were built just like the GOR: Metallic Purple, Metallic Green, Metallic Red, and Ebony Silverburst. After those four, additional Les Paul Robots were made; however, they were cost-reduced versions, .... no neck binding, different woods, ...

I said "clear out" because I believe that's what it was. Just try to find a new LP Robot out there now, other than the Dark Fire. It will be difficult, in my opinion, as they are dwindling down, being sold.

The GOR I saw at GC selling at that price was labeled "used"' date=' although it looked to be in mint condition in my opinion.

After Gibson created the Blue Silverburst guitar, they created four other Les Paul Robot Limited Edition guitars that were built just like the GOR: Metallic Purple, Metallic Green, Metallic Red, and Ebony Silverburst. After those four, additional Les Paul Robots were made; however, they were cost-reduced versions, .... no neck binding, different woods, ...

I said "clear out" because I believe that's what it was. Just try to find a new LP Robot out there now, other than the Dark Fire. It will be difficult, in my opinion, as they are dwindling down, being sold. [/color']

Hi O:)

When you say different woods, do you mean the finger boards being rosewood instead of ebony?

Cheers

Matt

Yes, Rosewood over Ebony, that's true... The finishes are much different and that adds cost, you know. But, I am now forgetting the other aspects of comparison (sorry,... I'm really busy these days). You can find them at the Gibson web site, however.

I think you will see LP Robot Studios on-going in the future. BUT! There are now Version 2 tuners from Tronical! I would imagine that there is presently a "lull" in Robot sales (and, thus, their scarecity) until the Dark Fire issues are finalized (I also have a Dark Fire). The Tronical electronics are, in my opinion, genius. I would imagine that once the firmware is updated, along with any other outstanding issues going on, that we will once again see LP Robot Studios coming out of Gibson USA... And, with BETTER electronics... Maybe even a RIP connection and digital output (again, it's just my summation).

I would hate to see them discontinue the Robot and go all out DF. I like the PUP's on my Robot and mine has the ebony fretboard. The difference stands out next to my other LP rosewood. I have no need for all the bells and whistles, just the basic LP for me with better tuners.

Thanks for your input.

I have checked the site and it seems the fret board and cosmetics are the main things listed. The body and neck are the same though. I was really curious as to if the Guitar was actually made out of 'better' mahogany. I doubt it, am interested in the possibility.

One of the reasons I purchased the Original Robot was that I read so much about it I thought on a hunch "I bet Gibson knowing all eyes on them, are going to be extra meticulous about this one"

When I tried it the James Bond part of my my male psyche of course loved the geek factor of the tuners but I was bowled over by it as a high quality Les Paul!

It really annoyed me on the forums I visited, when people wrote "it is just a studio with fancy tuners, that is not worth an extra £800 just for that" to which I would reply...

"well you pay happily an extra £800 for a studio with binding (I was referring to the Standard-although I appreciate after mid 200-ish the pick ups were not the stock ones anymore but Burstbuckers) so why not have something that is actually useful rather than cosmetic!"

Peace and rock on my fellow gear amigos!

Matt

Thanks for your input.

I have checked the site and it seems the fret board and cosmetics are the main things listed. The body and neck are the same though. I was really curious as to if the Guitar was actually made out of 'better' mahogany. I doubt it' date=' am interested in the possibility.

One of the reasons I purchased the Original Robot was that I read so much about it I thought on a hunch "I bet Gibson knowing all eyes on them, are going to be extra meticulous about this one"

When I tried it the James Bond part of my my male psyche of course loved the geek factor of the tuners but I was bowled over by it as a high quality Les Paul!

It really annoyed me on the forums I visited, when people wrote "it is just a studio with fancy tuners, that is not worth an extra £800 just for that" to which I would reply...

"well you pay happily an extra £800 for a studio with binding (I was referring to the Standard-although I appreciate after mid 200-ish the pick ups were not the stock ones anymore but Burstbuckers) so why not have something that is actually useful rather than cosmetic!"

Peace and rock on my fellow gear amigos!

Matt

[/quote']

The differences in models as far as construction are mostly cosmetic, tenon, neck profiles. Gibson does not use crappy wood. Basic guitar is as good as the higher priced guitar in material quality. Different models have different PUP's also. I have 2 LP's, one a Robot and the other is a flat body no frill cherry stained body. Both have the same PUP's. The Robot is the thick neck and the other thin. It would take a trained ear to tell them apart as far as tone is concerned. I know the difference because I play them a lot. Robot $1800 after tax and the other was $823. Tone and playability are about the same. For a thousand dollars difference I have one that has fancier looks and gadgets, but that is what I wanted and was willing to pay for. The plain one is still a fine guitar to me with quality wood but not fancy. I can't see why someone is Knocking a Studio when it is basically the same as any of the other models.

I agree.

I have spoken to a lot of people who just will not have it. LOL

They cannot fathom why and how a Guitar like a studio which currently in UK is around the £850 mark is the same wood as a standard or Classic, which is now a good £800 (and some time more) more expensive.

I teach Guitar in schools and have come across kids who say "I don't want a studio they are crap. I want a standard".

spoilt brats!!

Incidentally I bought my studio for only £220 with a snapped neck. I had it fixed for £40 and began customising it.

The strange thing was firstly the weight. It weighs 11 and a half pounds (the heaviest studio I have played). Also I took it to my guitar luthier to have it bound antique gold around the body, and he phoned up saying the price to perform this would be substantially less as it had binding under the paint!!!

A friend of mine says that bodies etc are just churned out and if there was a shortage of say studios they my use another body!

Anyway. I had the neck stripped and added custom plates and Grover machine heads and changed everything Gold!!

9704523952.jpg

Matt

I had a chance to get rid of my Robot with no money loss at all when I got my Dark Fire. BUT! I really liked my Robot and its pickups! I choose to keep it. I like it: the finish, the neck, the sound, the playability, and the quick ability to experiment with open tunings.

In my previous posts, I think I was trying to describe a change in the production of the guitar after Aug 2008. Also, I am projecting into the near future concerning my opinion about the new firmware and the (fantastic) new tuners (V2).

I call it the 'Horse custom' as it has my favourite animal a Horse' date=' under my name on the pick guard!

mere hare (couldn't resist!)

Matt[/quote']

Matt, It looks great. Too bad it's a Studio!=P~ Let people think what they want because we know that a Studio is not much different than a Standard or any other LP.

Matt' date=' It looks great. Too bad it's a Studio!=P~ Let people think what they want because we know that a Studio is not much different than a Standard or any other LP. [/color']

LMAO! :)

Thank you niemepet too :)

It is funny. When you hear a £100 Classical Guitar, and then a concert Guitar for £2000, the difference is there straight away. Not only in the sound quality but the playability too!

With electric guitars it is very different.

I think often people are left a lot more confused in the electric guitar market. People become afraid to actually stand up and confess "well actually I do not hear a great difference in that model and that one" (when assessing two Guitars of varying prices)

I suppose quality control and the rise in standards too plays it's part. I am a huge fan of Japanese production and I think the once scoffed at Korean and Chinese makers are silencing people too. My wife and I own an Ibanez Steve Vai EP9 Acoustic made in China. It is up there in it's quality with my favourite Classical which is 7 times more! I am not exagerating.

I suppose to sum it up lots of difference in price doesn't equal lots of difference in quality!

When I chose my three best Classical Guitars I just told the shop keeper how much I had to spend, and played them all with my head turned and price tags off so my ear choose!

Matt

ps. I love talking guitar my fellow geeks...this is great!!!

Re cheap guitars:

I got one of these as the "Stupid Deal of the day" at Musicians Friend for $99 last summer:

Rogue Lipstick Silver Sparkle - made in China, Rogue is a house brand for Musicians Friend / Music123 - headquartered in Long Beach, CA

They do the cool Coral Electric Sitar clone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rogue-Lipstick-Silver-Sparkle-Electric-Guitar-NEW_W0QQitemZ290258921422QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

rogue_lipstick_silver_full.jpg

rogue_lipstick_silver_back.jpg

Its actually a nice guitar - Gibson scale length, '59 "C" profile Neck, PRS headstock, Grover tuners, Cool color. Nice fret job. Good Dan Electro Tone with nice sounding lipstick PUs. Its superior to most recent Dan Electros.

I bought it for slide - but use it all the time for clean sparkle alt rock.

I'd buy it again - even for $179 at the Ebay ad above.

Yep! I LOVE the Chinese-made Epiphone Masterbilts! They are superior! Look out, ... these guys are going to surpass USA in no time at all!

I always hear people say things like, "Well, USA makes better guitars and that's why they cost more." I don't buy that remark at all. I think it's bogus and a way to keep the price of a guitar artifically higher that it needs to be. (I come from Classical guitar background, moving into acoustic... My first electric was the Robot Les Paul, just recently).

Nope, for the price, a Masterbilt is fantastic. As to my opinion on electrics, well, I think it's all about the pickups -- nothing more. Now the Dark Fire is a different beast altogether. I would not call it an electric guitar as much as I would call it something new: an electronic guitar... It is, in my opinion, the way of the future for "electric guitars".

The Epiphone "Elitist" series are often superior to many real deal USA versions.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Country-Deluxe-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=518757&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=203525515

Id take an Epiphone "Elitist" SG Standard "made in Japan", over a real 1981 Gibson SG anyday.

Materials are important - but for most electric guitars, final setup ( Frets, Nut, Bridge Saddles, and quality PUs) are 80% of what make a guitar worth playing.

If you have doubts about Asian guitars - play a new $3K Gretsch "Made in Japan" G6120

IMG_0430.jpg

The Epiphone "Elitist" series are often superior to many real deal USA versions.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Country-Deluxe-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=518757&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=203525515

Id take an Epiphone "Elitist" SG Standard "made in Japan"' date=' over a real 1981 Gibson SG anyday.

Materials are important - but for most electric guitars, final setup ( Frets, Nut, Bridge Saddles, and quality PUs) are 80% of what make a guitar worth playing.

If you have doubts about Asian guitars - play a new $3K Gretsch "Made in Japan" G6120 in Nitro Lacquer finish.

[img']http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/elantric/IMG_0430.jpg[/img]

I have Gretsch G5120 a $600 guitar and it is sweet. Made in Korea.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

We now return to the Robot 1st gen discussion. :)

No great points. The grestch professional line are amazing instruments. A pupil of mine has an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard which is totally drool worthy!

I love the photo of your baby! Asia rules!!

Matt

I have some price information. On Jan 31 I saw a new Metallic Purple Robot (like mine that I own) selling at GC Seattle, WA for $2799. That's amazing they raised the price $1100 from what these were selling for in Nov 2008. I think prior to Oct 2008 they were selling for $2399 new (list $3999), so this in an interesting development.

So, I looked on their web: Guitar Center for Les Paul Robots to find a small listing at, yep, $2799???

Archived