Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Combo Comments and Question

Silvercrow

I am floored at how the 490 / 498T pup combo in my LP Studio is working for me! I love it- what a difference between them and the 490 R/T set I had in my SG Special. Of course, different guitar too which I'm sure plays a big part!

I had to do some tweaking on my amp settings / guitar settings but I have the neck and bridge tones I'm desiring. Really good and I can push that 498T so much better and sweeter. Apples to oranges as I understand the 490T and 498T are different animals.

Some questions please: 1- I saw somewhere on the boards that there was a pickup "chart" posted showing various impedances and how they compare over the Gibson line of pups. Where might I find that chart? I guess I'm putting in the wrong terms in search- I get a straight print version but not the one that has a link I'm looking for.

2- In the control cavity I see there are two caps- both green "2232". All the guitars I've owned previously had orange drops, or other "barrel" type caps. Is there an upgrade I could get? I'm happy with the tone- if anything I'd keep it close- maybe get a little more "round" sound / more dynamic. Trying to explain what my ear hears=hard to do!

One more please: my pots are short shaft- cannot tell what they are ohms wise by looking at them. How would you measure them? I do have a multi-meter but do not know how to do it. Does it matter that they are connected to pups / caps when measuring?

Also (hey- this is more than two questions) on audio taper or linear taper pots- which are the ones that give you more gradual volume / tone? The ones on there are certainly usable- but as is the case with many guitars I've owned, the roll on / off jumps quite a bit.

Thanks for your help / info.!

Brian

Audio Taper are smooth and gradual. Linear squashes the bulk of the adjustment range into the top third of the pots sweep. I prefer audio for both but many people select audio for volume pots and linear for tone pots. Whatever works for you. \:D/

Hi,

Good to hear that you found a great guitar! 490/498 is a fantastic combo!

Gibson has this chart and info about their pickups:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/_gear/datasheets/Pickup_Guide.pdf

//Robert

interesting and useful chart. [thumbup]

any idea how a Dimarzio X2N would compare with Dirty Fingers for output level since that (DF) is the highest output on the chart?

I have the same set in my 95 standard as well as my 2012 SG.

An SG and Les Paul are completely different beasts. My SG has a much more focused mid range punch to it, where the Les Paul has a broader range of tonal characteristics.

Audio Taper are smooth and gradual. Linear squashes the bulk of the adjustment range into the top third of the pots sweep. I prefer audio for both but many people select audio for volume pots and linear for tone pots. Whatever works for you. \:D/

Thanks for that Arlum! Makes sense if I think of it in terms of home stereo / audio terms.

I had a Rick Turner RS6 acoustic / electric that was designed by him to work at stage volume with little feedback. The vol. and tone pots were located on the top of the upper front bough. The volume pot had detents or "notches" and for what our band was doing, if I kept the volume on the "7" notch for comping / rhythm backup I could just reach up and flip it to 8-9 for acoustic leads- very handy and consistent. I think he called it a 'high taper' pot of some such.

Thanks again!

Brian

Hello Brian!

I have this pickup combination in my 2011 L6S. It's an all-maple guitar. It also has a fat-tap option, which turns them to P90-like single coils. Also, that guitar has a tone pot for bass and treble - just like a Strat.

They sound so brilliant in that guitar! The cleans are jazzy, bridge pickup screams at high gains. The fat-tap sounds rich in overtones.

Great combo! [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

I have the same set in my 95 standard as well as my 2012 SG.

An SG and Les Paul are completely different beasts. My SG has a much more focused mid range punch to it, where the Les Paul has a broader range of tonal characteristics.

True Dat! I loved my SG, but the LP Studio fits so much better for me! Were it not for funds being so tight, I'd probably have one of each. Not complaining...I'm blessed!

Thanks Kidblast!

Brian

So...I'm looking at various caps. StewMac has PIO caps by "Emerson" for around $12.00 each. I also went to Antique Electronics supply (on the net...not in person...) and they have some made in Germany and France, etc. Half the price of the PIO.

The NOS are outrageous...$100.00 for a Bumblebee! Dang if I would have known! In my youth I used to get old tube radios from a local electronics guy for free! We'd use the control / chassis for a mock "rocket ship" control panel. I could have been exorcising caps and tubes and retired a few years ago!!!

Any opinions greatly appreciated! I honestly know "zip" about caps- except that the opinion / concensus on the net says the green ceramics I have in my guitar are lower end. Even at $12.00 a shot, it's a relatively cheap "mod" if it actually does something!

Brian

Bence my friend, if you are not in the guitar business in some fashion or another (commercially, I mean) you've missed your calling. A fountainhead of knowledge. Not only look good- the seller has 100% positive feedback!

Thanks Bence!

Brian

Archived