Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Classic not selling very well

nitro

I'm guessing that Fennrx doesn't care for the Classic. Nitro' date=' where have you seen the Classic for stupid cheap? I've only seen the Classic Antique on MF, and it's still over 2K.[/quote']

its not about liking or not liking. it was a plaintop standard with unattractive features like snot green inlays and tuners. when they introduced it, the classic was a step up from the standard...and then all of its good features were stripped and it became a step down. and for its price point, you would be better off buyinig a Standard and swapping the pickups to ceramics if you so desired.

i think its fair to say that most LP players, at least the ones who frequent LP forums, do not care for the classic. and lack of interest equals lack of sales which equals cancellation.

i will say that while i think the ceramics in a LP are terrible, they absolutely kick *** in my explorer.

For the most part, I agree with you FennRx. There are better pickups than the 496/500 for the LP. I was only curious as to what was a stupid cheap price for the Classic, as nitro put it. I have the 496R & 500T in my Gibson V98, which is a solid mahogany body like your Explorer, and it's a killer combination.

i got a 92 classic and it rocks! minus the pickups, the setup is exactly like a historic. Non-chambered/non weight relieved 1 piece mahogany back, maple top, no snot green inlays they are white as can be, really nice 60's slim neck (its slimmer than my custom shop clapton V neck) and i still havent found a neck on a gibson like it. even recent classics dont compare... IMO 90-93 classics are worth every penny and are still sought after for these reasons. Slap historic plastic and some PAF clones and you got yourself a R0

Give them a bit. Gibson has a couple new titles out for the same old guitar and the economy is bad. They will eventually go up a bit, I don't think they will ever sky rocket or become collectible though. I bought my classic antique for a steal since the popularity is down. I wouldn't trade it for any other new LP.

For the buck , the Classic is pretty damn nice as far as LP's go. Cosmetically, just not very appealing

compared to a Standard or especially a VOS model. But some of the earlier versions were standouts.

I snagged a 2000 tobacco burst a few years back and it became the best Gibby I ever owned. The inlays

aren't snotty like the later models, and the playablity is excellent. I prefer the 60's necks anyway. The only

real con to me are the ceramic pups, but someday I'll get off my lazy a ss and replace em lol. Too bad they disappeared though.....good axe.

Archived