Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting Vibramate Alternative

billymagnum

Hi Billy..

I don't quite follow

I mean I get the down tension and all that, but -- in the 10 / 15 minutes I spent on the web site, they really don't get into any details

There has to be something done to anchor the unit to the top?? I still don't see how they get around that with this adapter.

I do like the strap pin mod,, that is better than the Vibramate, Schallers do fit ok. but there are some that are like the Schaller but just a bit wider.

Hi Billy..

I don't quite follow

I mean I get the down tension and all that, but -- in the 10 / 15 minutes I spent on the web site, they really don't get into any details

There has to be something done to anchor the unit to the top?? I still don't see how they get around that with this adapter.

I do like the strap pin mod,, that is better than the Vibramate, Schallers do fit ok. but there are some that are like the Schaller but just a bit wider.

It seems like it's just held on by the strap pin. The bar seems to have the downforce to hold the bigsby down to the top.

I'm trying to find a way to mount a vibrato on my Ric but I don't think I have enough space between the strap pin and bridge or enough downforce

It's just schtick for the most part. I made a good living on usenet as the anti-bigsby. I've never owned one, so I wouldn't know. I've tried them for sure, used lots of guitars with them. But I use it once and am unhappy and don't use it again. Hated Floyds on every guitar I had with one. Still only use the Fender rarely, I put it on my 12 year old strat last year for the first time so I could cover some Jeff Beck.

I love what you guys that love BeegsBeez do with them though.

rct

The bigsby guys have all kinds of tricks that make them work right. My buddy has a 90s LP standard with a B7 and it sounds amazing and stays in tune for days.

There's some trick to tuning with them.. It's like you tune a little sharp and give the bar a wiggle but I'm not sure I remember right.

These things are silly. Do you want a Bigsby or not? If you do mount it correctly.

giving people the ability to keep their expensive guitars free of holes is silly? i dont think so. i wanted a bigsby but wanted to be able to change back if/whenever i wanted and there was no friggin way i was drilling holes in to my beauty. the pricing on the other hand, now thats silly.

The bigsby guys have all kinds of tricks that make them work right. My buddy has a 90s LP standard with a B7 and it sounds amazing and stays in tune for days.

There's some trick to tuning with them.. It's like you tune a little sharp and give the bar a wiggle but I'm not sure I remember right.

ive never had such a problem. i tune normally and it stays they regardless of the bigsby usage. i did have some initial issues but installing a roller bridge fixed that.

i could understand people having problems depending on their hardware setup. also some people seem to go a little over board with them and treat them like floyd roses. they aren't meant for those kind of gymnastics.

regardless of the fact i think these things are overpriced, in the case of the vibramate, i found my deal and went for it. i couldnt be happier with the results.

To each their own, some people don't like them. I never thought I would, till I tried a guitar that was properly fitted with one, then I got it. it was for me...

About 2 months back I installed the B7/V7 combo on my 95 LP Standard. That guitar just never had tuning issues, and after the mod, no tuning issues. It changed nothing in the negative what so ever. I dig it.

I also have a Swingster Roayle, an ES135, and a Epi Elitist Chet Atkins, all with B7s,... There are no tuning problems with these guitars. Also note that I use Big Bends lubricant religiously on all my electrics, trem or no.

And Billy is right, these are not for dive bombing antics. If that's what you're looking to do with a Bigsby, you've got the wrong plan entirely.

Again, the great part about these sort of kits how easy it is to add / remove these. The vibramte kit can be done in about 20/25 minutes. I can take it off in half the time. That was a winner for me, I wasn't about to do any permanent mods on my 95 LP which is, and shall remain as it was the day I purchased it 20 years ago this august.

Guest Farnsbarns

giving people the ability to keep their expensive guitars free of holes is silly? i dont think so. i wanted a bigsby but wanted to be able to change back if/whenever i wanted and there was no friggin way i was drilling holes in to my beauty. the pricing on the other hand, now thats silly.

ive never had such a problem. i tune normally and it stays they regardless of the bigsby usage. i did have some initial issues but installing a roller bridge fixed that.

i could understand people having problems depending on their hardware setup. also some people seem to go a little over board with them and treat them like floyd roses. they aren't meant for those kind of gymnastics.

regardless of the fact i think these things are overpriced, in the case of the vibramate, i found my deal and went for it. i couldnt be happier with the results.

If you don't like the holes my guess is you'll hate the big dents that just leaving it hinged from the strap pin will cause. I think a vibromate is a better solution.

If you don't like the holes my guess is you'll hate the big dents that just leaving it hinged from the strap pin will cause. I think a vibromate is a better solution.

100% Agree Farns. the vibramate is a very solid fit once everything is in place. I would definitely do it again.

um yeah obviously...but do you have proof of that or are you just assuming things?

I agree with the price. You're upping the price quite a bit for a temporary piece of hardware.

I'm a big fan of roller bridges and lubing the nut since I get pretty abusive with my Bigsby play. Schaller makes my favorite bridge and it's a direct drop in on Gibsons.

I agree with the price. You're upping the price quite a bit for a temporary piece of hardware.

That's why I waited for a deal on Amazon. I couldn't bring myself to pay the MSRP but considering the results, I would have had to give in eventually and just bite the bullet.

Guest Farnsbarns

um yeah obviously...but do you have proof of that or are you just assuming things?

No, to be fair, I don't have any proof that a hard edged, metal object pushing on a soft nitrocellulose finish over a long period will do any damage. Never tested it.

No, to be fair, I don't have any proof that a hard edged, metal object pushing on a soft nitrocellulose finish over a long period will do any damage. Never tested it.

Thanks- I got a chuckle out of that.. [tongue]

Is there a reason for the snarky attitude? there's felt between the body and the the metal also the it doesn't have to be tightened with an impact drill.

Guest Farnsbarns

See recent threads about the felt pads digging holes if they aren't removed.

As for the reason I was sarcastic? Honestly, everything in your question after the "or". I read it as quite passive aggressive and reacted a little. Foolish and futile of me.

Bigsby tailpieces continue to tear at the fabric of the guitar playing brotherhood. If you guys didn't use the confounded things this madness would not be happening.

rct

See recent threads about the felt pads digging holes if they aren't removed.

As for the reason I was sarcastic? Honestly, everything in your question after the "or". I read it as quite passive aggressive and reacted a little. Foolish and futile of me.

Thanks oh wise one of the Internet....

Bigsby tailpieces continue to tear at the fabric of the guitar playing brotherhood. If you guys didn't use the confounded things this madness would not be happening.

rct

Ahh, my friend Mr. Frayn, As the bard himself, ol' Willie the Shake was wont to proffer, "Though this be madness, yet there is method in it."

Confounded though they may be, 'tis not mere madness, but a taste and touch of variety amidst the din of unbridled twang.

See ya' beyond the walls of The Vortex...

rct

LOL!

rct you always crack me up! love ya man..

Archived