Gibson Brands Forums

Just FYI…….

onewilyfool

I've got a 1925 L-3 …..The original case was pretty much falling apart, AND it has such a musty smell, that I would cough or sneeze anytime I opened it. SOOOO….I've been keeping my eyes open for a replacement case, but you can imagine with the curved back and top, tall floating bridge, and the monster neck, it's been a tough find. But one day I took it over to one of the local guitar shops here and asked them if they had anything that would fit it. Well their "case guy" brought out a really well made Epiphone arch top case that was made for one of those Epi EL-00's…AND IT FIT PERFECTLY. The L-00 shape is a little different, but the L-3 fit well without shifting in that different shape. So, just FYI, I imagine there are a lot of folks with L-1, 2, &3's that have a similar 90 year old stinky case that may be falling apart, and might need a new case. These L-00 cases are REALLY well made, and look nice too, black with a brown trim piece around the lid edge.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/epiphone-el-00-hardshell-case?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CPC_peKdicYCFRSEfgodPJIAHw&kwid=productads-plaid%5E64352436046-sku%5EH78971000000000@ADL4MF-adType%5EPLA-device%5Ec-adid%5E51870555867

I've got a 1925 L-3 …..The original case was pretty much falling apart, AND it has such a musty smell, that I would cough or sneeze anytime I opened it. SOOOO….I've been keeping my eyes open for a replacement case, but you can imagine with the curved back and top, tall floating bridge, and the monster neck, it's been a tough find. But one day I took it over to one of the local guitar shops here and asked them if they had anything that would fit it. Well their "case guy" brought out a really well made Epiphone arch top case that was made for one of those Epi EL-00's…AND IT FIT PERFECTLY. The L-00 shape is a little different, but the L-3 fit well without shifting in that different shape. So, just FYI, I imagine there are a lot of folks with L-1, 2, &3's that have a similar 90 year old stinky case that may be falling apart, and might need a new case. These L-00 cases are REALLY well made, and look nice too, black with a brown trim piece around the lid edge.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/epiphone-el-00-hardshell-case?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CPC_peKdicYCFRSEfgodPJIAHw&kwid=productads-plaid%5E64352436046-sku%5EH78971000000000@ADL4MF-adType%5EPLA-device%5Ec-adid%5E51870555867

Watch out for the latches, they can bite!

I had the EL-00, no case included, so I bought the case. One day, I tried the Blues King in it and it fits, so I went and bought another of the cases

EL-00 and its case left home years ago, but the BK is still in that case and I must get a better one - the latches are really sharp and unfinished. I have a nick type razor cut on my index finger (left), from the latch and I am playing with a bandaid on it - I just recovered from the same nick on my right thumb, and I just couldnt figure out how I kept getting these cuts.....

Case latches!

Glad I dont have a gig tonight!

BluesKing777.

I bought an Epi 335 case for my '68 Gibson ES 335-12, because the headstock is too long for a standard Gibson ES 335 case. The Epi case fit like a glove, but it stank of glue (or solvents, or something) when it was brand new, and I had to air it out for a week before I could use it.

The hardware wasn't the best, and lord knows what they used for padding under the cat fur lining--the cases must be either Chinese or Korean--but it fit, and it worked.

BK, I've seen in similar cases ... er, situations.. where the cutting edge is a small tit or edge on an unfinished, stamped piece of metal. In other words, the whole latch may not be knife-like. It might just be one spot. If so, you can take a metal file to it and make it finger-safe in 5 minutes. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of band-aids. And, you may try super glue on your hand if the bandages get in the way. Depending on the cut - I've found it works better. G'Luck.

BTW - OWF = Great Share. Thanks. ( I have one of those old, sneezy, dopey cases for my LG1. But I'm too lazy to replace it, even though a classical guitar case is a perfect fit and an easy find. )

BK, I've seen in similar cases ... er, situations.. where the cutting edge is a small tit or edge on an unfinished, stamped piece of metal. In other words, the whole latch may not be knife-like. It might just be one spot. If so, you can take a metal file to it and make it finger-safe in 5 minutes. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of band-aids. And, you may try super glue on your hand if the bandages get in the way. Depending on the cut - I've found it works better. G'Luck.

BTW - OWF = Great Share. Thanks. ( I have one of those old, sneezy, dopey cases for my LG1. But I'm too lazy to replace it, even though a classical guitar case is a perfect fit and an easy find. )

All true of course, Mr 40 YP.

I just think the case maker should have done that before taking my coins. I remembered I also bought the Dread model of the case for a Martin X series D, so I have had 3 of the suckers and dont recommend them.

My old L-0 sits nicely in a TKL Martin 000 case I bought at the Gibson dealer of all places.

What IS it with Gibson cases? I have Gibsons everywhere and the only one with an original case is the J45 Standard - the rest have ring-ins and I have wised up....no proper case, aint buyin'....

P.S. Check the classical case depth before buying for LG size guitars, some classical cases are a bit squeezy.

BluesKing777.

BK, I agree of course. No excuse for a case maker to leave ANY sharp edges on the latches. Even more ludicrous since guitar players tend to ni=ot want to cut up their fingers.

Would be as unacceptable as using case lining material that chemically reacted to nitrocellulose. Or putting lead paint on children's toys. G'Luck.

Archived