Gibson Brands Forums

Neck thickness of the Fat Necked Gibson's (at the 1st & 9th frets)

Guitar Fundi

I see that Wild Wood Guitars posts the neck "thickness" (not width) at the 1st and 9th frets. What is the thickness of a "fat necked" Gibson at these frets? Trying to figure out what I'm looking for... I measured my Taylor 314 and it measured 0.845 at the first fret... I think this is very thin... what is a fat measurement? Thanks!

Not quite sure how to answer that, as I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "fat neck Gibson".

The depth of the neck, like the width, is only one part of the "neck feel" equation. The other part, of course, is the sectional shape.

There is a recent thread here on neck sectional shapes that you should review.

A V or soft-V neck may well have a deeper neck than one with a C or D section, but that doesn't tell you how it feels in your hand.

And, by the way, the only reasonably accurate way to measure neck depth is to slacken or remove the strings, and use a proper caliper that is squared to the neck. That may be easier to do if you snug it up just behind the fret.

I've seen the "fat neck" term used with reference to Gibson electrics to describe the 1958-1959 necks. I have one of those, and I would describe the neck as a fat C, although the nut width is only 1 11/16" (43 mm). A very similar neck shape is fairly common on Gibson acoustics from about 1947-1957 or so, but I don't know if it is used on any modern Gibson acoustics. Depth at fret 1 is typically around .87-.91 ", but because those necks were hand-shaped, it varies quite a bit.

The "feel" you get from a neck is a combination of the neck width, thickness/depth and shape. The fat feel of the neck can have a lot to do with how fast the wood curves under the fretboard edge. For instance the Soft-V and 50s Rounded (from the chart below) are more or less the same thickness, but the 50s Rounded feels fatter because the sides of the neck stay wide for a way below the fretboard edge before curving under. The "fattest" necks are over .900 inch at the first fret. The thickest I've seen are 1 inch (1.000) at the first fret. The chart below includes measurement averages taken from Gibson electrics and can be roughly translated to Gibson acoustics.

NeckShapez_zpswgyckwg6.jpg

I have never picked up a Gibson that I would classify as having a Louisville Slugger neck.

But it is all frame of reference.

Many of my six string guitars have necks in the .930 range at the 1st fret. My Regal 12 string though leaves that 1.00 at the 1st fret in the dust. Accordingly, my definition of a baseball bat neck has changed.

... And I have a... um, bunch of grilling skewers and a bit of corrugated cardboard:

photo%201_zpscdshgb6c.jpg

photo%202_zpsg3db5cfd.jpg

That Banner measures just under an inch.

Really am going to have to pick the measuring tools up a notch to play this game. Perhaps this "neck measuring" contest has parallels to the mania for playing the heaviest possible strings back in the day. But aside from the "Quien es mas macho?", I do firmly believe tone/energy transfer is helped by the mass of a larger chunk of wood. As Nick and Big have mentioned, the basic neck measurements are only a part of what makes a guitar work or not work for someone. Fundi, you really have to spend some time, hopefully in the comfort of your own home, with the larger necked guitar that you're interested in, and a familiar reference guitar or two. Surely Guitar Center has a handful of guitars from the big neck era that you could try at home, and if necessary, return within the 3 day vintage gear return policy; especially convenient if you are close to a GC location. Get one in your hands, and report back.

... And I have a... um, bunch of grilling skewers and a bit of corrugated cardboard:

photo%201_zpscdshgb6c.jpg

Seeing your clever home made templating device reminded me that I have something similar out in my shop somewhere. You can buy these from many woodworking suppliers, but they use a series of thin steel fingers in place of your skewers. You could use one of those type of gauges if you put a wrap of masking tape on the neck first. It would take a really accurate pattern off the neck.

Glad you reminded me. It's a tool I haven't used in years.

• 6 months later...

Thanks everyone... I cannot find a Gibson neck thick enough to deal with my hand issues :-(

So, I think I'm going to have to get a Martin HD16R as the Modified V on a 1 3/4" nut seems to be the only NEW guitar that works for me. Thankfully I do like the sound of the HD16R, but would prefer a Gibson J45 or Southern Jumbo... maybe someday Gibson will make custom to order again... but I'm tired of waiting.

Thanks everyone... I cannot find a Gibson neck thick enough to deal with my hand issues :-(

So, I think I'm going to have to get a Martin HD16R as the Modified V on a 1 3/4" nut seems to be the only NEW guitar that works for me. Thankfully I do like the sound of the HD16R, but would prefer a Gibson J45 or Southern Jumbo... maybe someday Gibson will make custom to order again... but I'm tired of waiting.

Have you tried a Dove? My Dove has a fat feel to the neck, plus the longer scale length. I like fatter necks on guitars too and the Dove plays, feels and sounds great.

• 8 months later...

Really appreciate all the info! Wildwood has some J-45 Vintage Ultimates with .89-.90 necks. I was able to play a J-45 Vintage on Monday and am in love. The store claims the neck is .89 and I don't think its quite there, but its close. All the J-45 Vintages measured at Wildwood are .87 or less. Just couldn't do the Martin, so I'm holding out for a .90 or thicker J-45 Vintage.

Archived