Gibson Brands Forums

Are Hercules Foam guitar stands safe?

Gibson Artist

Im hearing conflicting reports of safe/not safe because they supposedly "treat" their foam to be nitro friendly. But seeing how several guitar brands dont use the same type of nitro i dont see how it can be 100% safe can it? Ive been searching for non foam stands, if i cannot find what i am looking for i may have to create one myself out of necessity.

The question of guitar stands of whatever brand has come up on here several times lately.

My reading of the considered opinion is that no make of guitar stand is safe. Do not trust any rubber of whatever description. The answer is to wrap a cotton bandage around the rubber. Then, and only then, will it be safe.

Yes, I have three Hercules stands and my Les Paul Classic Antique, ES335 and J-15 live on them, I only put them in their cases when I take them out. Non of them have a single mark on them. Hercules are the only stands I'd trust my Gibson's on.

Ian

Hmm, yeah this is a slightly odd one...

Ive never tried one but apparently ive heard they ARE nitro safe and they used to have that on their literature.. However they took it off a short while back.. not sure why...

So I would say no.. they arnt.. Its always best to cover the foam parts whatever make it is.. I just wouldn't take the chance..

If you do however and they work, please do come back and let us know :)

I purchased a Hercules stand, the single guitar model with the "cam" levers in the yoke. My guitars which, are all nitro, are only on them for 1-2 hours at a time maximum. So far, no problems. However, my lovely wife is making a cotton "sleeve" for both of the legs the guitar rests upon. I'll not take a chance- better safe than sorry.

I will say this; apparently the adjustable grip lever had a rubberized coating on it at one time. Numerous folks complained that over time, the rubber coating on the lever/grip became tacky then downright sticky. Hercules listened; that coating is no longer on there. So the company does pay attention to consumer feedback and takes action. I don't know, but I'm thinking that they took off the "nitro safe" statements for liability purposes. Just a guess, considering our litigious society...

I REALLY like the stands- rock solid and seem to be built VERY well.

Brian

Will they pay to refinish your guitar if they're NOT nitro safe?

Don't forget that products and suppliers change all the time and it would really suck if they don't make them like they used to.

Truth! For years in the mid-late 90s I used Ultimate stands. They worked well and were reliable. I bought my Hercules because after two short weeks, the "cam" lock on the Ultimate I purchased in January locked and would not budge from the locked position. I had to solicit an email from MF saying it was ok to force it so I could unlock it, fold it up and send it back. They USED to be made in the U.S. Now China. Just saying...and agreeing with SteveFord- it sucks when they don't make 'em like they used to!

Brian

I have some Hercules stands and they are "nitro safe." I've never had a problem. I don't keep the guitars on the stands all the time but sometimes they'll sit on one all day. In fact, I think I left my 335 on a stand out in the shop last night. I hope it's still there! :mellow:

BuzzKiller here . . . Sorry to rain on Hercules but there has been at least one thread here where the OP complained of reaction damage caused by contact with a Hercules stand.

Rocketman posted this from the Hercules website a while back: . . "As a professional stand manufacturer, Hercules goes to great lengths to provide the highest quality and the most secure stands. Hercules had conducted numerous experiments on our SFF foam and is pleased to find that it does not react with most of the guitar finishes in the market, including Nitrocellulose. The tests included subjecting the instruments on the stand to heat, cold and normal temperatures for periods of up to six months without movement.

However, each manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with differing proportions of the chemicals involved. There are literally thousands of different variations of lacquer in use today, making it impossible to test them all. Therefore, to provide your valuable guitars with the best support, we recommend you to refer to your instrument's owners manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument."

I agree with Pin . . . better safe than sorry.

The question of guitar stands of whatever brand has come up on here several times lately.

My reading of the considered opinion is that no make of guitar stand is safe. Do not trust any rubber of whatever description. The answer is to wrap a cotton bandage around the rubber. Then, and only then, will it be safe.

I have one that's been parked for over 5 years. Went to an acoustic jam with some old friends a few weeks ago and the clamp release is sticky as heck. Water won't wash it off.

What the he11 do you do with that? It's really gross. I hadn't touched it in years.

The store I bought it from went out of business and the Hercules sight is a waste of time.

Yuk.....

However, each manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with differing proportions of the chemicals involved. There are literally thousands of different variations of lacquer in use today, making it impossible to test them all.

I thought only Gibson used nitrocellulose

I would never buy a Hercules guitar stand again! I have bought 4 of these stands which I loved and worked well when I bought them. Unfortunately after a year or so I noticed the plastic parts had become sticky and deteriorated… After a couple years the stand fell apart little by little. The closing finger mechanisms break and then the hight adjustment button… All four of my stands are trash!

No. . For example -

Fender Support - Finishes: "Fender U.S. made American Vintage series instruments are finished with nitrocellulose lacquer (Exception: '75 Jazz Bass is finished with polyurethane). . ... . Fender Custom Shop Relic, Closet Classic, and N. O. S. series guitars use "Thin-Skin" nitrocellulose lacquer finishes."

No, no-no-no. Fender uses it, think Guild may be using it again, Gretsch on some of their upper-crust. Nitrocellulose is the common denominator, but as was stated, different chemical compositions of Nitro are used across the board...

I would never buy a Hercules guitar stand again! I have bought 4 of these stands which I loved and worked well when I bought them. Unfortunately after a year or so I noticed the plastic parts had become sticky and deteriorated… After a couple years the stand fell apart little by little. The closing finger mechanisms break and then the hight adjustment button… All four of my stands are trash!

Sorry to hear about this! They have corrected it, but as you say, the website is...CRAP...not much chance of getting them to replace or try to make things right/better.

I had called "Ultimate" about the problem with their stand. They wanted me to send it to them, they evaluate it, send a new one; 4-6 weeks! I sent it back to M.F. and they promptly credited me.

SO MANY TIMES I wish I had the dough to open up an accessories company and build quality things at reasonable prices! There are of course guitar stands out there in the 'boutique' range (my word) for $200.00, but to me they are more furniture than practical. And as I case my guitars when not playing / gigging them, those type cases would not work for me.

Brian

Archived