Gibson Brands Forums

Home Recording

fsharp

Hi Everyone

I've been playing guitar for 53 years, but I'm a complete beginner at recording. I want to do some half-way decent home recordings mostly for my own listening - hope I can hear things and get better. I've put together a Presonus Audiobox USB (2 instruments or 2 mic's) with 2 small diaphragm condenser mic's, their included Studio One Artist DAW and some headphones. I'm going to point both mic's at my acoustic guitar (no singing). I think its a reasonable equipment starting point. I've been reading up on recording and I'm wondering how necessary it is to start throwing bass traps and acoustic panels around the room. I have no hope whatsoever that my wife is going to go for that kind of redecorating. Can I ask how many of you have rooms prepared like that? Is it a waste of time to record in an plain old room?

Thanks - I do value your comments.

No, it's not a waste of time and you don't have to get too fancy to get started. I'd say you are in the ballgame. I imagine you will get some more specific advice here soon. Get started with what you have on hand now and you will soon identify any additional needs. Watch out though, recording gear can become an addiction in and of itself (as you can probably already imagine). I have a board mixer of yesteryear, two Pro Tools programs and a house full of aux(s) to boot all to prove that point!

steve

edit: and I should be honest enough to say, I got out of things about the time computers arrived. Took my toys home and aquired the computer gear over the past couple of decades just for fun alone, but never really mastered it as much as a board. I just never warmed to digital recording programs and devices.

I've been reading up on recording and I'm wondering how necessary it is to start throwing bass traps and acoustic panels around the room. I have no hope whatsoever that my wife is going to go for that kind of redecorating. Can I ask how many of you have rooms prepared like that? Is it a waste of time to record in an plain old room?

You won't need any panels if you have a roomful of guitar cases! [flapper] .

If you have an iMac, though it sounds like you have a pc, all you need to get going is the free GarageBand software and a Apogee USB Mic, which also work in iPads and iPhones though I haven't tried it:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/mic

I would start with one mic at a time to get going....

BluesKing777.

No, it's not a waste of time and you don't have to get too fancy to get started. I'd say you are in the ballgame. I imagine you will get some more specific advice here soon. Get started with what you have on hand now and you will soon identify any additional needs. Watch out though, recording gear can become an addiction in and of itself (as you can probably already imagine). I have a board mixer of yesteryear, two Pro Tools programs and a house full of aux(s) to boot all to prove that point!

steve

edit: and I should be honest enough to say, I got out of things about the time computers arrived. Took my toys home and aquired the computer gear over the past couple of decades just for fun alone, but never really mastered it as much as a board. I just never warmed to digital recording programs and devices.

Thanks. I've never been in the recording dept of the local SamAsh before. There's just tons of ways to spend money. I'm head of IT at my company so anything that lets me play with a computer works for me.

You won't need any panels if you have a roomful of guitar cases! [flapper] .

If you have an iMac, though it sounds like you have a pc, all you need to get going is the free GarageBand software and a Apogee USB Mic, which also work in iPads and iPhones though I haven't tried it:

http://www.apogeedig...om/products/mic

I would start with one mic at a time to get going....

BluesKing777.

Interesting use of guitar cases. Unfortunately I only have 2 so can't do it that way. Panels are expensive but they are still cheaper than guitars [thumbup]

I bought a bundle from Presonus - 2 mics, 2 cables, interface box, headphones and the DAW program for $250. Looked like a good deal to me. Certainly not the best quality, for that price, but it looks like it will hold me for some time. I've heard of GarageBand but I don't have a Mac.

I have had all the contraptions over the years.... But the best and easiest I have had is my wonderful little A&H 4 channel mixer with USB out. I run it to my old iMac and Garageband, but you could plug into any USB computer device. I recently added a Neumann KM184 mic.

I should have got shares in the company, because a couple of friends headed straight for the shop to get theirs...great price little mixer with good pre-amps. The theory is that you could use it live as well, and with a decent powered speaker system, get close to what you practice and record with at home. A friend uses one for just live - 4 mic channels, but a few aux channels for music players etc.

BluesKing777.

Is it a waste of time to record in an plain old room?

Only if you've got the air conditioner and dishwasher going. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got everything you need. Now just get a free soundcloud account so you can share your tunes. :)

Only if you've got the air conditioner and dishwasher going. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got everything you need. Now just get a free soundcloud account so you can share your tunes. :)

Thanks - I've seen other people use that here. I didn't realize it was free.

Archived