Gibson Brands Forums

New nut

Bluemoon

So I have been without my LP for a the week. I am having the Corian nut replaced with bone. My old nut was cut too deep. I am getting the guitar back on Saturday.

So what should I expect from the new nut? Will the sustain be better, or is that just a myth?

I think bone is a much denser material than any plastic (unless the cow had osteoporosis). More density transfers sound vibration better. Let us know if YOU can tell the difference. All of my guitars still have their original nut, but a couple of them need replacing. I'd like to know what your opinion is when you get the guitar back, so that I might have it done on mine.

I think bone is a much denser material than any plastic (unless the cow had osteoporosis). More density transfers sound vibration better. Let us know if YOU can tell the difference. All of my guitars still have their original nut' date=' but a couple of them need replacing. I'd like to know what your opinion is when you get the guitar back, so that I might have it done on mine.[/quote']

Will do. I wouldn't have changed it, but my local guitar tech was a little too eager to cut my nut! This screwed up the action on the guitar. They tried to fill some of the notches and re-file it, but didn't have a ton of success.

I am definately going to replace my corian bridge on my trad. w/ bone asap. the prob i really have is since it it softer, not only is sustain down (which isnt all bad sometimes) but it seems like corian pinches worse, and bone, when cut right, virtually never pinches...iono, just me maybe.

I think bone is a much denser material than any plastic (unless the cow had osteoporosis). More density transfers sound vibration better. Let us know if YOU can tell the difference. All of my guitars still have their original nut' date=' but a couple of them need replacing. I'd like to know what your opinion is when you get the guitar back, so that I might have it done on mine.[/quote']

So I got her back today and the sustain is significantly better. I don't think the bone nut affected the tone--at least I can't hear it. The bone nut also made it easier to tune. I use a Boss TU-2 and always found it hard to hit make the very minor adjustments to hit the green light dead on. I assume with the Corian the strings didn't slide as well through the grooves in the nut.

The best part is the setup these guys did. I took it to one of the best techs in Chicago. He did a fantastic job and not only did he get the action much lower than my previous tech (without causing buzz), but he also adjusted the height of the pickups and individual poles and balanced everything out. It sounds a lot fuller and more well rounded.

It wasn't cheap...$120 for the nut and setup. But I think it was well worth it.

Glad you got your LP back. I agree with the bone nut making tuning easier. I too just got mine done and also a setup. I think that is the going price around the Chi-Town area as this is what I paid also.

Also, +1 on the pickup adjustments. My tech did this also and I agree with the help it does.

One thing I did was since I loved this setup so much I took measurements (action, string height at nut, neck relief, pickup polepiece height, etc) for a reference point. Helps to determine when adjustments are needed.

Glad you got your LP back. I agree with the bone nut making tuning easier. I too just got mine done and also a setup. I think that is the going price around the Chi-Town area as this is what I paid also.

Also' date=' +1 on the pickup adjustments. My tech did this also and I agree with the help it does.

One thing I did was since I loved this setup so much I took measurements (action, string height at nut, neck relief, pickup polepiece height, etc) for a reference point. Helps to determine when adjustments are needed. [/quote']

I will take the measurements...but how do you measure neck relief?

I normally put a straightedge from the first fret to the16th fret (where neck joins the body) and put the straightedge between the E and A strings (actually touching the E string) and then use automotive feeler gauges to check relief at 7th fret.

Some use the straightedge the whole length of the fret board.

As long as you are consistant on how you measure that is all the matters.

If you do not have the straightedge you can use the 6th string with a capo at the first fret

Examples: Go to the left and click on ChopShop - Setup

ProjectGuitar - Neck Relief

Guitar must be in playing position like you are sitting down, do not have it laying down.

So I got her back today and the sustain is significantly better. I don't think the bone nut affected the tone--at least I can't hear it. The bone nut also made it easier to tune. I use a Boss TU-2 and always found it hard to hit make the very minor adjustments to hit the green light dead on. I assume with the Corian the strings didn't slide as well through the grooves in the nut.

The best part is the setup these guys did. I took it to one of the best techs in Chicago. He did a fantastic job and not only did he get the action much lower than my previous tech (without causing buzz)' date=' but he also adjusted the height of the pickups and individual poles and balanced everything out. It sounds a lot fuller and more well rounded.

It wasn't cheap...$120 for the nut and setup. But I think it was well worth it. [/quote']

I'm glad to hear you got your money's worth and your axe back when expected. I'm jonesing for a nut (no pun intended) now. Please give us another update in a few days to let us know how you're enjoying your LP since the work that was done.

SilverLesterStd

One thing I did was since I loved this setup so much I took measurements (action' date=' string height at nut, neck relief, pickup polepiece height, etc) for a reference point. Helps to determine when adjustments are needed. [/quote']

Great idea! I'm going to have to do that on my 335. I'll be switching to bone on both of my Gibsons. I did it with an Epiphone Sharaton and man what a difference it made in tuning and action.

Schroeder Guitar and Repair--1455 West Hubbard.

http://www.schroederguitarrepair.com/

All they do is guitar setups and repairs, and amp repairs. I am not going to take my axe anywhere else. The don't sell guitars--just parts and tubes, etc. I guess they are considered among the best in Chicago. I would have to agree.

Other than the fact they know what they are doing, they are nice as hell. They treat their customers really well and are super patient. I spent a good 10 minutes with them during which they asked a ton of questions about my playing style, etc.

Bluemoon' date=' Tom99SS...

Care to share where the work was done (which luthier)?

I'm thinking about a new nut / PLEK job. Thanks.

Congrats on the new bone!

[/quote']

I went here GuitarProShop

I tried Music Gallery in Highland Park. They did an OK setup but I never got to talk face to face with the Tech (Chip) and it was like: Go there tell the sales clerk what you want done, drop off the guitar, come back and pick up the guitar.

With Steve at GuitarProShop he did the following:

1) Mentioned I think I may have some high frets

- He took the FretRocker and right in front of me started to inspect the fret height and then explained certains things

2) Wanted a bone nut installed

- He explained how he cuts the nut /spacing

3) watched how I played, light/medium/heavy touch to assist in setup

4) He explained and showed me what my current action height was and neck relief was and where he like to set it.

I learned so much by just asking and watching him in the time I was there.

The main thing, besides the setup which is GREAT, is you deal just with him. Ask questions and he will explain things to you.

He is not like "Thanks, you can go now and I will call you when done". Just call first to see when he is free as he also teaches guitar at times.

Archived