Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Studio Pro GP vs. 2013 Signature T AW

Loffel

Hi,

I'm planing to buy a proper guitar with which I wanted to play mostly 80s - actual Rock with 0.10 - 0.46 pure nickel Strings.

The two guitars which I'm interest on were a 2014 Studio Pro GP and a 2013 Signature T AW.

Which one would you pick in my place or would you may chose another one?

btw I'm not interested on the 2015 Studio due the thick neck.

Thanks for the help!

Hello and welcome.

Not much difference between them really.. Both have a 60s slim neck.. The Sig T has two 57s and the Studio Pro has a 57 Super and Burstbucker Pro...

Id say pickup wise the Studio Pro is probably more suitable for 80s rock.. But really any Les Paul is good for almost any type of music if you use the right Amp and or Pedals...

So really it comes down to.. Do you want all the bling that comes with a Sig T level guitar or would you be happy with a Studio level guitar which really the main differences to the Sig T are just cosmetic..

The best and only real way to tell is to play both and see which one speaks to you more... The more LPs you try the more you know what you will or wont want.

Good luck with the hunt... the one thing I will say is don't rush it, finding the right guitar for you can take time but its well worth it in the end when you find a guitar that speaks to you more than others (and try enough and that WILL happen). Sometimes you don't always know what you want till you try it :)

Let us know what you get and of course we will expect pictures [thumbup]

Yeah, I'm taking my time in this decision. To be honest I've allredy got a Les Paul, an Epiphone LP Custom Zakk Wylde Camo. After 6 years I wanted do upgrade on a better sound and components quality or even replace it. As equipment I've got an Ibanez DS7 paddle and and a Peavy Backstage (small one, 26W) Amp which im also planing to replace with a marshal model.

Anyhow the Studio Pro catched more my eye than the Sig T did and I totaly agree that the Sig has a more higher (maybe Jazz / progressive Rock) sound than the Stu although it sounds very nice too. In addition to that I think I've got a wider range of genre variety with two different pickups on one guitar ^^

And ofc there will be some pics :D

Yeah, I'm taking my time in this decision. To be honest I've allredy got a Les Paul, an Epiphone LP Custom Zakk Wylde Camo. After 6 years I wanted do upgrade on a better sound and components quality or even replace it. As equipment I've got an Ibanez DS7 paddle and and a Peavy Backstage (small one, 26W) Amp which im also planing to replace with a marshal model.

Anyhow the Studio Pro catched more my eye than the Sig T did and I totaly agree that the Sig has a more higher (maybe Jazz / progressive Rock) sound than the Stu although it sounds very nice too. In addition to that I think I've got a wider range of genre variety with two different pickups on one guitar ^^

And ofc there will be some pics :D

A couple more things... Which you may know already..

If you go and try them in the shops.. sometimes say you play a guitar and you like it but arnt quite sure of the neck, ask if they have another one of the same model in the back that you can try (which they often do)... Sometimes you can be surprised at just how different two guitars of the same model and make can feel..

And the second. When you go and try them in the shops.. Make sure they plug you in to an amp similar or the same as what you have at home.. Its all to easy to get carried away when they plug you in to some super duper valve amp that would make any guitar sound good :)

[thumbup]

And the second. When you go and try them in the shops.. Make sure they plug you in to an amp similar or the same as what you have at home.. Its all to easy to get carried away when they plug you in to some super duper valve amp that would make any guitar sound good :)

[thumbup]

This is huge! I took my hollow body 225 into a local guitar store when I got it. They plugged it into the most expensive Soldano. Nothing has sounded the same since...although I still love the guitar! But if I would've been guitar shopping and plugged into that thing, I probably would've walked out the door with whatever they would've handed me to play and I'm sure it wouldn't have been cheap. I'd even recommend, if you can, bring your amp with you. Happy searching.

Thanks again for the many advices :)

I don't know if I will find a seller of Gibson guitars with both stocked here in south-germany. That's why I've posted it here where ppl with experience could may help me.

Anyhow I think I'm going with the Stu. Even if the Sig could maybe have a higher reselling value, that Graphite Pearl finish really got me... and to be honest, such a beauty won't leave the circle of family once it's inside, just handed over to my descendants :lol:

Plus the measurements of the stu's neck are very similar to those I'm used to with my Custom

Servus!

The only thing I didn't like about the Sig T AW was the cream binding. If the binding would have been black, now I would own a Sig T and not a Traditional. Whatever your choice is, like the others said: you can't go wrong.

Grüsse aus Spanien

Archived