Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting tonewood video

Rabs

I know we all know about this by now...

But I thought certain tests he did in this vid were pretty cool.. namely the music box test where he had a direct input from the pickup and rests it on some wood and plays a music box.. I thought that was interesting cos it proves that the sound does indeed carry through the wood (which im sure we all know by now :))...

HOWEVER as has been said before.. even though there are differences in wood tone, once you add all the rest of a components to a guitar and an amp or pedals, those tonal differences start to mean pretty much nothing... and nothing that cant be tweaked with the amp EQ or the right pedal. (well I think anyway)

Still interesting though :) (that music box test is at 4:16)

I know we all know about this by now...

But I thought certain tests he did in this vid were pretty cool.. namely the music box test where he had a direct input from the pickup and rests it on some wood and plays a music box.. I thought that was interesting cos it proves that the sound does indeed carry through the wood (which im sure we all know by now :))...

HOWEVER as has been said before.. even though there are differences in wood tone, once you add all the rest of a components to a guitar and an amp or pedals, those tonal differences start to mean pretty much nothing... and nothing that cant be tweaked with the amp EQ or the right pedal. (well I think anyway)

Still interesting though :) (that music box test is at 4:16)

Scott Grove said that the wood type makes no difference (in electrics) because pickups will always sound exactly the same on electrics. I tried to politely disagree with him, that however subtle, there is a difference. But he deleted my comments lol. Ive seen a guy in prison make a guitar out of boat model kits and transistor radio parts. Considering how crudely it was made, pretty sweet instrument. Heck, id play one here lol. Ive always thought wood made a difference in electrics, especially ebony. Here is the guy in prison, at about 57 seconds in they show him.

Scott Grove said that the wood type makes no difference (in electrics) because pickups will always sound exactly the same on electrics. I tried to politely disagree with him, that however subtle, there is a difference. But he deleted my comments lol. Ive seen a guy in prison make a guitar out of boat model kits and transistor radio parts. Considering how crudely it was made, pretty sweet instrument. Heck, id play one here lol. Ive always thought wood made a difference in electrics, especially ebony. Here is the guy in prison, at about 57 seconds in they show him.

Yeah.. well Scott Grove is as Scott Grove does... not even gonna go into that [rolleyes]

But that prison video was cool.. Shows you, where theres a will..

Did you ever see this vid? Amazing [thumbup]

Yeah.. well Scott Grove is as Scott Grove does... not even gonna go into that [rolleyes]

But that prison video was cool.. Shows you, where theres a will..

Did you ever see this vid? Amazing [thumbup]

Wow, im sure the parts/wood he has to work with arent very good but he seems to do great with what he has. Ive actually seen some guys on craigslist selling cigar box guitars. I once had a couple of cheap 80s guitar bodies and parts i was going to use to become a repairman, but i never got around to it and gave them away free in a deal. I was selling an acoustic to some kid and he saw the bodies and said he someday soon wants to tinker, so i offered him both guitar bodies free, his face lit up like a christmas tree and he was so thankful. When i told him i had some extra pickups he acted like he won the lottery, i told him the bodies were just cheapie guitars but he didnt care, he said im gonna sand off the ugly finish and put on my own. He said he learned a lot from Youtube and friends and loved woodshop, i hope the kid keeps it up.

I was selling an acoustic to some kid and he saw the bodies and said he someday soon wants to tinker, so i offered him both guitar bodies free, his face lit up like a christmas tree and he was so thankful. When i told him i had some extra pickups he acted like he won the lottery, i told him the bodies were just cheapie guitars but he didnt care, he said im gonna sand off the ugly finish and put on my own. He said he learned a lot from Youtube and friends and loved woodshop, i hope the kid keeps it up.

Cool man.. good on you...

And yes you can learn pretty much everything off of Youtube in regards to builds... I doubt I would have been able to build a guitar without that help...

Of course the best way to learn is just to do it, and try different things, different techniques and see what work for you.

Its all good fun though :) (apart from the million hours of sanding involved which does tend to become a bit tedious :))

Archived