Gibson Brands Forums

Thickest Fuzz I've Ever Owned

RevDavidLee

Based on recommendations from friends, I ordered this back in April from the builder, Oleg, who lives in Moscow, Russia. It just arrived today. It apparently resided at the US Customs facility for quite awhile probably because here's a package from Russia that showed electronic circuitry in the x-ray machine... lol - go figure [biggrin]

It is easily one of the thickest heaviest sounding fuzz pedals I've ever played through and folks - I've played through a lot of them. As you can see from the photo below - the pedal is called the "Flying Fuzz" and whether you're a fan of fuzz pedals or not - you have to love the artwork!

It's a chainsaw on steroids and flat out perfect for that true "wall of fuzz" voicings that I love when I am using fuzz. The only con on this pedal is how long it took to get here. It was well worth the wait. Hope you enjoy the photo! [thumbup]

USoundFlyingFuzzCloseUp_zpsiu1lvd0f.jpg

The specs say it's a germanium based fuzz with temperature stability. That would be very special indeed. I have a few germanium fuzz pedals but mainly use the silicon versions because of this very issue. A pedal sounds great at home at specific settings and then you take it to play outdoors in 85+ degree F temps and nothing sounds right. From the examples under the pedal on the specs page I thought the Fuzz Light sounded most like Hendrix.

I would imagine that it's based on the MKIII Tone Bender since it has a tone control and the builder mentions the tone bender vaguely. Temperature stability is also a feature of the original MKIII design. The germanium diode from Q3 base to ground offsets the effects of temperature changes

Based on recommendations from friends, I ordered this back in April from the builder, Oleg, who lives in Moscow, Russia. It just arrived today. It apparently resided at the US Customs facility for quite awhile probably because here's a package from Russia that showed electronic circuitry in the x-ray machine... lol - go figure [biggrin]

It is easily one of the thickest heaviest sounding fuzz pedals I've ever played through and folks - I've played through a lot of them. As you can see from the photo below - the pedal is called the "Flying Fuzz" and whether you're a fan of fuzz pedals or not - you have to love the artwork!

It's a chainsaw on steroids and flat out perfect for that true "wall of fuzz" voicings that I love when I am using fuzz. The only con on this pedal is how long it took to get here. It was well worth the wait. Hope you enjoy the photo! [thumbup]

Very cool Rev. Do have any specs on it and if you don't mind me asking the cost of it. Thanks.

Very cool Rev. Do have any specs on it and if you don't mind me asking the cost of it. Thanks.

Archived