Gibson Brands Forums

Scale length poll fpr standard tuning.

arlum

A poll about scale length that's strictly personal. Your favorite. This isn't about intonation or where the harmonics are found over the pickups or what's best for preferred string gauge or which scale favors bends vs. twang, etc., etc.

I just want to know which scale length works for you. I own many guitars and most have a 25.5" scale length. Fender, Ibanez, Suhr, Melancon, Yamaha, Breedlove, etc. That said ..... I wish they were all 24.75. I don't have spider leg fingers. If I have to adjust harmonic positioning or whatever I don't care. The distance between frets when I'm using a 24.75" scale length is dead on perfect for my hands. This has nothing to do with Gibson loyalty. I own two Gibson guitars out of around a dozen guitars, (although I've owned others). I just personally wish all brands used the 24.75" scale length. Wide stretched chords or arpeggios just work perfectly using the 24.75" scale. Any other scale length makes me constantly push, stretch, look at the fretboard or whatever. Using the 24.75" scale length allows me to close my eyes and know that every note will be exactly where my finger expects it.

Of note* I'm 5 '7" tall and have short fingers even for my size. That's why this is personal. Forget the tech. stuff. What works best for you?

I played nothing but Gibson and Epiphone before I got my first Parker with 25.5" scale.

I immediately fell in love with it. I often play lead lines past the 12th fret, and my fingers fit much better up there. I never realized what I was missing until I got the Parker.

I spent a couple of years playing a Fender P Bass, so I developed a lot of stretch in my fingers, so the longer scale doesn't give me any problems near the nut.

Notes

I have spent 45 playing 25.5" guitars. I couldnt adapt to anything else. But I persevered with a PRS (25") for 6 months and then made the jump to Gibson this year.

It seems getting older does have something going for it. I've became more adaptable. Neck width troubles me more than scale now. Gibsons are still a bit narrow for my liking.

Don't really mind either Fender or Gibson regular lengths. Makes no real difference to me swapping from one to the other.

Played predominantly Strats for 20+ years but if I was forced to state a preference I'd probably choose Gibson's length.

More important than the scale length (for me) I find the angled-backwards neck pitch (relative to the body) of a Les Paul to be more comfortable than the straight-plane Fender style.

FWIW I had an 'option one' short-scale & narrow nut Fender (for about 20 years) but found it practically unplayable.

Interesting guitar - Fender 'Swinger' - but it sounded really crap and felt like it was a child's toy.

It had the even shorter 'short-scale' 22 1/2" scale length.

Still; it's one of only two guitars I (slightly) regret selling.

Pip.

I'm like rct in that I'll play 'em all and make my adjustments and sound like me regardless.

But, I do know that when I strap on the Les Paul with it's meaty 50s style neck and shorter scale length, it just feels most right to me.

You need one more option in the poll - "Makes No Difference"!

I have never even considered scale length when buying, or playing, any guitar. I couldn't even tell you the scale length of any of my guitars without looking it up, and never realized it was such a big deal to some players until the various discussions here. In 45+ years of playing, I can honestly say I've never had a face-to-face conversation with another guitar player where the subject ever came up.

As a "Guitar Player for Hire", I may play as many as three completely different guitars in the course of a single engagement. My usual triumvirates are L5/Strat/Classical, or L7/Classical/12-string, and besides the various scale lengths, they each have different string types, fingerboard radii, nut widths, etc. If the music calls for it, that's what I have to play.

You need one more option in the poll - "Makes No Difference"!

I have never even considered scale length when buying, or playing, any guitar. I couldn't even tell you the scale length of any of my guitars without looking it up, and never realized it was such a big deal to some players until the various discussions here. In 45+ years of playing, I can honestly say I've never had a face-to-face conversation with another guitar player where the subject ever came up.

As a "Guitar Player for Hire", I may play as many as three completely different guitars in the course of a single engagement. My usual triumvirates are L5/Strat/Classical, or L7/Classical/12-string, and besides the various scale lengths, they each have different string types, fingerboard radii, nut widths, etc. If the music calls for it, that's what I have to play.

Yeah, I pretty much had the same life. Usually a Fender, a Gibson, and some sort of acoustic object up there. Never had time to give it a thought, never knew guitar players were thinking about it until the internets were invented.

rct

Archived