Gibson Brands Forums

Perl editor

EVOL!

Anyone here use Perl? If so, what do you create your scripts in? I just downloaded Notepad++ since that one seems to be popular, but I am confused if I need to set anything up to auto format and execute the scripts.

Guest Farnsbarns

Anyone here use Perl? If so, what do you create your scripts in? I just downloaded Notepad++ since that one seems to be popular, but I am confused if I need to set anything up to auto format and execute the scripts.

I use it for wrting PHP/css/html/etc. It won't run code. Won't your perl need compiling to run? Not ofey with perl really.

I use it for wrting PHP/css/html/etc. It won't run code. Won't your perl need compiling to run? Not ofey with perl really.

It's a scripting language and it compiles itself as you execute it. Just like batch files you can run it by clicking on the file or from a command prompt (my preferred method).

After putting some Perl into Notepad++ I see that it helps format it/auto completes so I am good. It color codes variables, arrays, and hashes. Wonder if I could do xml in Notepad++. That would help a lot since writing xml files is an exercise in torture.

I have no idea how to execute perl scripts on Windows. On *nix systems, it's along the lines of perl file.pl

Is this where I apologize for working at a Windows shop? ;) :(

As I mentioned above, you can run it by clicking on the file or from a command prompt (my preferred method).

Guest Farnsbarns

It's a scripting language and it compiles itself as you execute it. Just like batch files you can run it by clicking on the file or from a command prompt (my preferred method).

After putting some Perl into Notepad++ I see that it helps format it/auto completes so I am good. It color codes variables, arrays, and hashes. Wonder if I could do xml in Notepad++. That would help a lot since writing xml files is an exercise in torture.

The colour coding is automatic, it isn't saved, NP++ just displays it that way. It will work the same for XML (HTML being a form of XML albeit prescribed tags so not extensible as such).

The colour coding is automatic, it isn't saved, NP++ just displays it that way. It will work the same for XML (HTML being a form of XML albeit prescribed tags so not extensible as such).

Right, but having it color coded and your curly brackets marked helps keep you honest. Perl can be the wild west.

Guest Farnsbarns

Right, but having it color coded and your curly brackets marked helps keep you honest. Perl can be the wild west.

Yeah, it's excellent having the color coding. PHP is a nice tidy language if done well but I used to edit in wordpad and that's a nightmare in comparison. I love the transparent popup boxes as well, you just read straight through them.

Yeah,

• 4 years later...

Download VSCode (Windows, MacOS, Linux?) then install a Perl addon such as https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=mortenhenriksen.perl-debug or  https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=henriiik.vscode-perl.  I'm not sure which one is better since I don't code in Perl, but I do use VSCode for several other languages and it's very useful.

That should give you full language support and the ability to compile/run your scripts.  Some people swear by text editors like sublime text, but why limit yourself?  With a text editor you're not going to be able to run your script (which is kind of the point when you're done) and it won't assist you when you make a mistake.