Gibson Brands Forums

Songs used for political campaigns

saturn

Whenever I hear of a politician appropriating some song for their campaign, it never seems to go well. And yet they keep doing it. :-k

The latest is Donald Trump using "Rockin In the Free World". At the very least he should know by now that Neil would be on the opposite end of the spectrum as he is. But the thing that get's me is that the song is obviously sarcastic with it's patriotic theme. It's full of references to the ills of a "free world". Like crack babies and homelessness. There's even a jab at George Bush senior: "a thousand points of light for the homeless man." and "kinder gentler machine gun hand" [unsure]

Years ago Reagan tried using "Born In the USA", which is another NOT patriotic song. Don't they listen to all the lyrics before choosing the songs?

Let's keep it on topic please. [-o<:rolleyes:

Years ago, whenever it was Bob Dole was running for President, the band a friend of mine played in was hired for his Midwest campaign stops. Someone had rewritten the chorus to Sam & Dave's "Soul Man" for use as his theme song.

The new chorus was "I'm a Dole Man". Immediately after a campaign video clip hit the national news, THE BAND (not Dole) was served with a "cease and desist" order.

As far as I know, the practice first started with Bill Clinton's initial campaign in the early 90s, when Fleetwood Mac's 'Don't Stop' was employed to great effect with the band's full blessing - they even got together to play it at his inaugural ball.

Since then, the original idea has suffered, with most politicos trying to copy the (successful) Clinton example without thinking about the ramifications -

Imagine that: politicians not thinking things through...

Advertising a politician is probably much the same as advertising a car - a good solid chorus that people can sing/hum along to that sounds relevant to the product (eg Born in the USA - good, Rock Lobster - not so good). they would do a check of the wider lyrics I'm sure to make sure its not going to bite them too hard ( eg One in a Million would not be a good choice even though chorus might seem a good fit at first glance) but its mainly just the chorus as a message/jingle I would think.

What makes you think politicians are any smarter than musicians? Everything is just a sound bite today anyway.. People only watch 30 seconds of it on their phone. Combine that with a catchy tune and you have all the makings of a hit TV show. And so another political sitcom begins.

What makes you think politicians are any smarter than musicians? Everything is just a sound bite today anyway.. People only watch 30 seconds of it on their phone. Combine that with a catchy tune and you have all the makings of a hit TV show. And so another political sitcom begins.

Where's that +1 button? [thumbup]

What makes anyone think that Neil Young owns this song? Yes, he may have written it, but who owns the publishing rights? If Donald Trump paid a licensing fee, then he can use the song.

Let us all remember that Donald Trump could probably buy the entire Neil Young catalog...kinda like Michael Jackson did with the Beatles.

I do not endorse Donald Trump or Neil Young..just sayin'

Here's what Rolling Stone says:

When reached for comment, a spokesperson for the Trump campaign told Rolling Stone that the candidate was a fan of Young's music, despite their differing views, and that the track was used legally. "Through a license agreement with [performance-rights organization] ASCAP, Mr. Trump's campaign paid for and obtained the legal right to use Neil Young's recording of 'Rockin' in the Free World' at today's event," the spokesperson tells Rolling Stone. "Mr. Trump is a huge fan of Neil Young and his music and will continue to be regardless of Neil's political views."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neil-young-donald-trump-spar-over-rockin-in-the-free-world-use-20150617#ixzz3dN4Jx01u

Archived