Gibson Brands Forums

57 Les Paul Reissue Value

IgiStrato

Hi, I'm going to buy a second hand 57 reissue goldtop Les Paul.

The seller says the guitar is the first serie of reissues in Italy and for this (the guitar is really in good conditions) asked me 3300 Euros, more or less 3700 USD. Serial number is

7 7029.

Can you give me details on materials and whatever you think is important... Is the fretboard in brazilian rosewood as he said?

3300 Euros is too much to pay? Is it real that the instrument is going to take value because of his age?

Thank you guys

post-72630-076415200 1434542914_thumb.jpg

There is a well-known list which provides detail about Braz 'board LP RIs up until 2003.

I've not seen any OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED serials from Gibson for any 2007 R7's and am therefore very, very highly sceptical about what you have been told.

If you don't get to see any 100% incontravertible, official evidence that it's a factory-installed Braz 'board then it almost certainly ISN'T.

It's possible to get a Braz 'board added at a later date - Mark's Guitar Loft are doing it all the time - but AFAIK Gibson does not use Braz unless stated as such.

Please bear in mind that it's simply not possible to tell from appearances either. Many 'boards might LOOK Brazillian without actually being so.

Pip.

EDIT : FWIW here's a cut'n'paste from the Guitars4You as far as Braz 'boarded R9 LPs are concerned;

"...details are clearly listed and certified on the Gibson website and their own forum, that R9's with a serial number between 9 3001 and 9 3674 are all spec'd with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard...hence less than 700 available...

Now with all the various Cities and Eco issues facing Gibson and various other builders, it is highly unlikely we'll ever see another run of R9's with Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards...Even if Gibson managed to acquire a further supply of Brazilian Rosewood...it would not be possible to obtain one outside of the USA, due to the Cities legislation that is now enforced by the Wildlife and Fisheries department, that is applicable to all guitars leaving through the USA Customs borders..."

I happen to own R9 serial 9 3131.

Unfortunately mine is from 1993 and not 2003.

Damn.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY BUT THE GUITAR IS 1997 NOT 2007... DO YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THAT?

There is a well-known list which provides detail about Braz 'board LP RIs up until 2003.

I've not seen any OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED serials from Gibson for any 2007 R7's and am therefore very, very highly sceptical about what you have been told.

If you don't get to see any 100% incontravertible, official evidence that it's a factory-installed Braz 'board then it almost certainly ISN'T.

It's possible to get a Braz 'board added at a later date - Mark's Guitar Loft are doing it all the time - but AFAIK Gibson does not use Braz unless stated as such.

Please bear in mind that it's simply not possible to tell from appearances either. Many 'boards might LOOK Brazillian without actually being so.

Pip.

EDIT : Here's a cut'n'paste from the Guitars4You as far as Braz 'boarded LPs are concerned;

"...details are clearly listed and certified on the Gibson website and their own forum, that R9's with a serial number between 93001 and 93674 are all spec'd with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard...hence less than 700 available...

Now with all the various Cities and Eco issues facing Gibson and various other builders, it is highly unlikely we'll ever see another run of R9's with Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards...Even if Gibson managed to acquire a further supply of Brazilian Rosewood...it would not be possible to obtain one outside of the USA, due to the Cities legislation that is now enforced by the Wildlife and Fisheries department, that is applicable to all guitars leaving through the USA Customs borders..."

Nope.

Everything I can find on the subject from the various trusted fora - 'Les Paul Forum', 'My Les Paul' and right here at Gibson - all say the same thing which is that limited quantities of Braz 'boarded Historics were released between 2001 and 2003 inclusive but that's it. Nothing before or since.

The current price of a genuine Braz 'boarded R9 seems to be around £8,500 which is around 10,000 Euros...

P.

EDIT : Here's the relevant info from Custom Shop Admin here in the Gibson Forum (the others I mentioned earlier have exactly the same serial number listings);

http://forum.gibson....ties-2001-2003/

Guest Farnsbarns

So you think it doesn't exist a 57 reissue model made in 1997 with braz rosewood...do you?

Definitely not. Price sounds high to me as well. You can get a new one for little more and that will have hot hide glue and a number of other "more accurate" features.

Archived