Gibson Brands Forums

Frampton's guitar

Gawd, I hate that flippin' song. What Frampton, who is one fine guitar player, allowed himself to be talked into taking that teeny bopper bubble gum trip is beyond me. Great for the pocket book.

And just who exactly "talked him into it"? You have inside

information?

And would you, as a songwriter, refuse to release a song

that could potentially make you a lot of money?

I think not, gotta love the interweb.

Ooh, struck a teeny bopper nerve. Hell, Frampton always talked freely about management and the record companies calling the shots as early as his days with the Herd. Back then he did not even want to be the singer but was told he was. And plenty of musicians and bands have turned down big money. Woody Guthrie always said he would starve to death before he wrote and sang the kinds of songs the big money guys who ran the radio stations and record companies wanted. Remember the Del Lords? They won the Great American Band Contest put on by a brewing company (the other finalists were the Long Ryders and the Del Fuegos - not too shabby) but turned down the prize of a recording contract because they did not want the corporate sponsorship that went along with it.

Frampton lived around the Greater Cincinnati for a few years and gained a reputation as a great guy donating his time to local benefit concerts and involvement with kids like reading time at the local libraries.

Sounds like a real nice down to earth guy.

Frampton lived around the Greater Cincinnati for a few years and gained a reputation as a great guy donating his time to local benefit concerts and involvement with kids like reading time at the local libraries.

Sounds like a real nice down to earth guy.

Agreed.

Ooh, struck a teeny bopper nerve. Hell, Frampton always talked freely about management and the record companies calling the shots as early as his days with the Herd. Back then he did not even want to be the singer but was told he was. And plenty of musicians and bands have turned down big money. Woody Guthrie always said he would starve to death before he wrote and sang the kinds of songs the big money guys who ran the radio stations and record companies wanted. Remember the Del Lords? They won the Great American Band Contest put on by a brewing company (the other finalists were the Long Ryders and the Del Fuegos - not too shabby) but turned down the prize of a recording contract because they did not want the corporate sponsorship that went along with it.

You're very funny, at least in your own mind. I've been listening to Frampton

for many years. I'm no teeny bopper. [flapper]

I suspected you had no idea what you were saying was true, just mere speculation

so thank you for confirming that for me.

If you had enough talent to "sell out", I'm sure you would.

FWIW, it's definitely not one of my favourite Frampton tunes.

If you had enough talent to "sell out", I'm sure you would.

I am not really sure how you know how much talent I possess or lack. But if you go back far enough chances are you had to make decisions about what you were playing and making money. In the 1960s my band raised the wrath of some of the town fathers because of some of the material we played. It cost us some gigs. After I had stopped gigging regularly, the off and on string band I put together was asked not to come back next year to a regional Fourth of July fest after we played a re-worked version of Woody Guthrie's "You Fascists are Bound to Lose." Our defense was we were equal opportunity offenders.

But you may be right - not much money at stake and it had more to do with chutzpah than talent. Can't say what I would have done had thousands of dollars been at stake.

And again, I think Frampton is a fine guitar player.