Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway P90s - Gold Top

merciful-evans

Anybody seen these before? Any info? Because I have not. I will pop over & take a look next week hopefully. I am unlikely to buy, but I am curious.

This guitar looks like a classic doublecut except with P90s and a Gold finish. Its not the 'slab' 2015 version.

Its listed as new, but looks like neither 2014 nor 2015 models.

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/p/LPDJPGKCH1/electric-guitars/gibson/gibson-les-paul-double-cutaway-p90s-gold-top

Rally Nice! I looked att one a ways back that had fancy wood , Yellow, and a thick coating of Nitro. I very nearly put it on a credit card, but at the time was only using cash. Now I wish that I would have bought it. The payments would be long gone from my memory, but that gorgeous Dounle-Cut would still be here. At the time, I think that it was around $1100.

OK I tried this today.

I took my own amp & signal processor so I could be sure how it sounds for me.

It played well, the action on the bass end of the TOM bridge could (& should) have been a little lower. I couldn't budge it without detuning, but the relief in the neck was spot on perfect. So was intonation. Build quality was great. Even the rosewood fingerboard seemed finer grained than it should be, so the grade was better than usual.

It sounded much better than I expected. I also tried the 2015 double cut special which was also pretty good though not as nice as the gold top. So my misgivings about the P90s were dispelled.

Would I buy it? No. If it had a harder wearing fingerboard and a was a bit cheaper then I might. This guitar is very nice but resistible.

Would I buy it? No. If it had a harder wearing fingerboard and a was a bit cheaper then I might.

Rosewood has been on fingerboards since time began and I have not been aware of it having a wearing problem.

rct

I like it.. well mostly..

the lack of separate volumes and tones for each pup could be a show stopper for me

then again.. Maybe not.. P0s,, what's not to love.. it is (as we say in boston) Wicked Pissah

Archived