Gibson Brands Forums

Free David Crosby streaming concert

j45nick

Yes, saw it announced on Twitter - Looks as if it's about to happen.

I'm in the seat, , , excited

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . We are in the break before second set - it's goin' fine

It was basically the same show I went to last week, although he shifted some songs around in the sets. The sound was much better on last night's show than it was last week, maybe thanks to everything coming straight off the board rather than through the speakers.

I would say he was in better voice than the week before. He was also quite a bit less profane than last week, since the concert was being live-streamed.

It was also nice to see those guitars up close. I love the smaller McAlister with no pickguard on it, although the 45-style version of it he played was sweet as well.

Not sure what you can say about the two 1960's D-45's. Those are bold guitars, and Crosby still has the chops to make them really sing. I don't own a Martin dread, but I may just have to look for a pre-'68 Brazilian one just to "round things out", of course.

Going for some Abalone?

Deep pockets for Abalone and Brazilian! Phew.

The concert was interesting for solo performers, in that he only used a mic on his voice and a pickup for his guitars - just way easier to set live nightly all over the country than mic for both.....unless you use in-ear monitors. So his guitars had the dreaded pickup quack a bit, but no dreaded feedback screech.

BluesKing777.

Going for some Abalone?

Deep pockets for Abalone and Brazilian! Phew.

The concert was interesting for solo performers, in that he only used a mic on his voice and a pickup for his guitars - just way easier to set live nightly all over the country than mic for both.....unless you use in-ear monitors. So his guitars had the dreaded pickup quack a bit, but no dreaded feedback screech.

BluesKing777.

My pockets aren't deep enough for the vintage Martin D abalone and Brazilian combo, but you can still buy 1960's D-28's (pre the switch to EIR) for a semi-rational price.

Not sure what pickups Crosby uses in these guitars, but they are a bit "quacky" at times. I would love to hear them "straight", but that's not so practical in a fairly large concert venue.

Crosby uses a fairly large single stage monitor, rather than in-ear, which is probably the result of years of singing tight harmony with Stills and Nash. The black box next to the stage monitor is a large-screen scrolling prompter, which, oddly, was a relief for me to see. I can't imagine remembering the complex lyrics to all those songs, even when I was 21, and used to tape them on the sides of the guitar. Didn't see how Dylan could remember all the lyrics to "it's all right Ma", even back then. I could barely remember "Mr. Tambourine Man".

Boat for sale ?

:-)

Nah, I've got plenty of guitars, but only one boat.

Although..... Gruhn has a 1940 D-45 for sale right now that I could just afford if I sold my boat.

Hmmmmm, wonder if they take trades.....?

I think drugs are the answer to why Crosby needs a rolling screen for lyrics and also , on the flip side, how Dylan remembered the lyrics :-/

Definitely a two-edged sword. I don't think either Dylan or Crosby (or others) could have written some of their songs without chemical assistance. But what good is coming up with a great song if you forget to write it down?

Nah, I've got plenty of guitars, but only one boat.

Although..... Gruhn has a 1940 D-45 for sale right now that I could just afford if I sold my boat.

Hmmmmm, wonder if they take trades.....?

Martin forum full of their problems and joys - you are probably a candidate for an Authentic - DR BK777 advises the 1937 D28 Authentic model with the 1 3/4 " nut..... maybe a used one with the Eric as tradein? :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Martin forum full of their problems and joys - you are probably a candidate for an Authentic - DR BK777 advises the 1937 D28 Authentic model with the 1 3/4 " nut..... maybe a used one with the Eric as tradein? :mellow:

BluesKing777.

I was drooling over those a bit, just as I bought the L-OO Legend after getting frustrated at trying to find a vintage L-OO at a rational price that wasn't falling apart or worn to a nub. There's a lot to be said for modern guitars built to true vintage specifications. I saw they also have that model with a torrefied top, for those like me who are so old they will never live to see a modern guitar develop vintage character.

The EC really could go. I only keep it because it's the only "real" Martin I have right now, and everybody needs at least one.

I saw they also have that model with a torrefied top, for those like me who are so old they will never live to see a modern guitar develop vintage character.

Well we hope you are with us for a long while to come, Nick, but I know what you mean, and the reason I got the vintage '44 0-17 - my 10 and 15 year old Martins and Gibsons sound brand new still, even one that was heavily played by the previous owner. I think the Elixir strings contribute to that, so if I wasn't allergic to Monels...well... too many ifs. My CEO7 is a magnificent little guitar and some lucky mug will be playing that in 50 and thinking.... [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes] thanks!

I am happy with the 'player specials', but I get the impression that the Croz and Neil and EC etc have the D45 good stuff and the rest is doing the rounds.....

A lovely used Authentic would be humming along after a tour or 2? Not much of a new guitar salesman, am I?

BluesKing777.

Man O Man, my D28 (HD28v) has had a belting this week after inspiration from Mr Young, then BBG and his HD35, and then Croz with his D45 and then Nick mentioning purchases of D28 and...and...and.....

I had to play mine at lunchtime and I now have a blister on my thumb, but 3 terrific recordings of Young tunes....that nobody is gonna hear, but I like! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Archived