Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird Hunt

Rob456

Hi all,

I've recently discovered the beauty of Gibson guitars. I've always big a big fan of Passenger and recently he has been using a Gibson Hummingbird, that I have fallen in love with and have been trying to track down.

I've attached a few images of him in action.

I was just wondering if you could help me pin down exactly what style/color the one pictured is. My first guess would be True Vintage but I'm not sure.

I have struggled to find a similar looking hummingbird online. Just FYI the back and sides of the guitar are solid dark brown.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry if I sound a bit silly, very new to Gibsons!

Thanks,

Rob

post-72658-092611500 1434723777_thumb.jpg

post-72658-026388400 1434723803_thumb.jpg

This looks like a Standard or Modern Classic. No cherry burst. Grover roto tuners.

It seems to be very close to the one I am selling.... (nice segue right?)

I replaced the roto tuners on mine with Grover 135N Tulips. Its listed for sale in the Trading Post here: http://forum.gibson....mint-condition/

Or you can see mine on Reverb here: https://reverb.com/i...d-2014-heritage

Good luck in your search wherever it takes you.

Sal

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Well, it has an endpin jack and on board pickup - so unless he added them - it can't be a True Vintage. Colors, the shading on the bursts, even the specifics of the Pickguards can vary. They're all great guitars. Just be forewarned that the Hummingbird Pro sold by Guitar Center is NOT a Hummingbird. It's more like an AJ. G'Luck and Welcome!

Youre seriously selling that great sounding Bird Sal ..... already ??

This looks like a Standard or Modern Classic. No cherry burst. Grover roto tuners.

It seems to be very close to the one I am selling.... (nice segue right?)

I replaced the roto tuners on mine with Grover 135N Tulips. Its listed for sale in the Trading Post here: http://forum.gibson....mint-condition/

Or you can see mine on Reverb here: https://reverb.com/i...d-2014-heritage

Good luck in your search wherever it takes you.

Sal

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Youre seriously selling that great sounding Bird Sal ..... already ??

its BBG's fault.

Seriously EA... The Bird sings. But i have three hog guitars additionally, and I just want the D35. It's an impulsive decision I am gambling will be a good one.

I dont want to just buy the D35 and violate the one in one out rule...

Hi all,

I've recently discovered the beauty of Gibson guitars. I've always big a big fan of Passenger and recently he has been using a Gibson Hummingbird, that I have fallen in love with and have been trying to track down.

I've attached a few images of him in action.

I was just wondering if you could help me pin down exactly what style/color the one pictured is. My first guess would be True Vintage but I'm not sure.

I have struggled to find a similar looking hummingbird online. Just FYI the back and sides of the guitar are solid dark brown.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry if I sound a bit silly, very new to Gibsons!

Thanks,

Rob

Kind of looks like the amber burst top color on the 2014 limited edition, but it has rosewood back and sides with gold hardware...I have one

Ha!

Ha? Ha? Is that the best you can do? You led the wee lad astray with your pretty pictures and three-piece back--took him away from his beloved 'bird. And the best you can do is "Ha!"?

(Got to admit your HD-35 is nice, though....)

Rob456: check ThemisSal's previous posts. He was in love with the Hummingbird he has for sale. Just sayin.'

1434769881[/url]' post='1668468']

Ha? Ha? Is that the best you can do? You led the wee lad astray with your pretty pictures and three-piece back--took him away from his beloved 'bird. And the best you can do is "Ha!"?

(Got to admit your HD-35 is nice, though....)

Rob456: check ThemisSal's previous posts. He was in love with the Hummingbird he has for sale. Just sayin.'

Hey. Don't be surprised if the Bird stays. Rules are made to be broken...

"Honey, I listed it for sale... No bites really...maybe it's best to pick it up around the holidays?"

That would be funny...

My 'ha' was one of complete disassociation.

Whatever's going on had nothing to do with me.

Whatever is going on, I'd like to note that the above-referenced post was BBG's 4900th. Yup, 4-9-0-0. I think that Ripken-esque feat deserves a round of applause.

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

Sorry to hijack your post, Rob456. Let's get back to your guitar search, may it end happily.

FMA

I can vouch for the beauty and gorgeous sound of Sal's 'Bird. I played it myself when it hung on the wall at Russo's. It had me thinking about it before Sal snagged it. My only stumbling block is the 1.72-73 nut and neck angle that just doesn't work for me on ALL Gibsons. I'm a 1-11/16" guy with few exceptions. My hands can't help it. I wish it weren't so.

Anyone shopping for a Bird should consider Sal's fine specimen. And, no, I'm not related to or in any way affiliated with Sal beyond reading his posts on this board.

Archived