Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center does it again...

daveinspain

When I go to say, Rockin Robin, which is a local independent store...the people there sort of ignore me after they say, "wellcome to R&R". They act like it is a burden to assist me. I know part of it is the "look at this chick guitar player, ew."

That's why they are stuck working in a guitar shop! Any dude with any sense should be happy to help out a "chick guitar player". Beats chatting with stupid hard legs all day. Just sayin'..... [biggrin]

IMO, one needs to be an educated buyer no matter where you go. I have visited the local GS enough times to know what sales people know their product and are reputable. There are a few.

Kenny V

I agree. My one guitar purchase from GC was pretty uneducated though. Luckily it was a Gibson SG, which is totally perfect and has super reliable tuning stability. Actually it had some scratches on it from the store but I don't really care

I spent a few moments in the Boston GC Platinum Room. They have 2 L5s and one is reasonably priced. They have the AAA top LP Standard, nice finishes. The store was stocked well, reasonably priced, entry level guitars as well. Not into most of them, but for somebody this could be an ideal destination. So close to Fenway.

New Orleans has a great Platinum Room. The neighborhood this store is located, is very Louisiana... but inside is heavenly. They have a half dozen knowledgeable staff on hand at all times. Fix guitars, right in front of you. Picked out my LP Trad from them and never had a single problem with the 2014 nut. They must've fixed it. They called in about 30 days to make sure I was still in love. I am.

We rented a hotel room and listened to prostitutes getting lashed by their pimp... wife slept zero hours that night, left out at 4 am, snuck out actually... and she carried that horror for months. Eventually we thought back on the whole experience, the French Q, like WOW THAT WAS Fn CRAZY. Les Paul Baby!!

I have visited probably five or more Guitar Centers in a variety of States and cities, and I must confess that the service and the amount of guitar expertise and acumen on display was always just about average for music stores world-wide.

That said, I believe that I am lucky, in that the Guitar Center here in Huntsville, Alabama is pretty squared-away.

The main guitar tech is skilled, the floor sales guys are knowledgeable and friendly, and the prices for new AND used axes are always fair and competitive.

In fact, a few of the sales 'dudes' have gone out of their way to help me to find exactly what I needed, and to also help me save money in the process (military discount, waiting for sales, etc).

I have no complaints about my local Guitar Center, I guess that is what I am saying.

I have nothing bad to say about my local GC stores. I'm sure it's hard to retain top people for what they pay so when I see a new employee I take it slow with them as to getting an idea if they know their stuff. I do know my stuff and research before I buy anything, so don't rely on them too much. If I have questions, I can tell if they can be helpful pretty quick. Some that have experience can be very helpful at recommending accessories if they have real experience.

As far as gear, the Detroit area stores are well stocked. They always have some high end stuff on hand. And the used gear that passes through their stores is priced extremely well. I've even found they can be fair on what they give you for trade in stuff if you work them a bit.

I really don't understand the hate.

...We rented a hotel room and listened to prostitutes getting lashed by their pimp... wife slept zero hours that night, left out at 4 am, snuck out actually... and she carried that horror for months. Eventually we thought back on the whole experience, the French Q, like WOW THAT WAS Fn CRAZY. Les Paul Baby!!

Sounds like a good time but I would have called the cops.

My nearest GC is in Sin City 90 miles away ( Las Vegas N.V. ) . I've never been in the stores there.

My only trips into Vegas involve catching flights out to the REAL world somewhere.That being said ;

My " local " GC is in Mesa Ariz. 300 miles away.

The staff there, they are predominately local practicing musicians..

The ladies and dudes there, they know their stuff.. The Asst. Manager in Mesa , Krystal comes from a family of musically blessed folk.

The store is quite clean , the spaces are packed with a smokin' variety of axes ,amps , drum kits , this GC is pure candy !

Like Blueblooded said ; Due Diligence before hand is always the way to go on any major cash outlay.

I have no problems with GC , but a Sweetwater , Wildwood or a Music Zoo nearby would be most excellent too...

Bet that's a non - starter out here in Jackalope country tho.. eusa_pray.gif

X

I haven't been inside a GC since 1984. I don't miss it at all. What I need (including guitars) I buy on line. No music store worth a hoot where I'm at here in Florida. Yes, there is a GC in Ocala (so I've been told) and thats a paltry 15 miles away. Would I go there?? Nope... the dork on the phone told me flat out if I want a new release or a good selection, I have to go at least 60 miles down to Orlando where the "bigger store" is. This is the reason I do all my own set up work and ignore GC at all costs.

Never any harm they can do that doing some research beforehand will spare you.

I've come to accept that pervasive feeling that the vultures are circling whenever I stumble, hating myself already, into one of the havens of villainy they call Guitar Center.

At all costs, avoid this Ron Swanson moment... the only thing worse than someone trying to make commission is someone who's offended at the same time... Don't give them any hope either, I'd sooner dump chum on myself and hop in a shark tank.

A few rules, observations, and other nonsense.

- Eyes ahead

- Communicate using solely grunts, or one of the following: "I'm all set", "Could you grab that for me?", "Nein sprechen sie Englisch", or feigned obliviousness.

- If the walls are shaking, people are gnashing their teeth, children are crying, and vaguely crotchety discourse about "the youth" appears in the background you might be playing too loud.

- If you tune what you're playing, you'll sound 120% better than 80% of the place's clientele.

- Never maintain eye contact for more than four seconds... just not good for the psyche.

I haven't been inside a GC since 1984. I don't miss it at all. What I need (including guitars) I buy on line. No music store worth a hoot where I'm at here in Florida. Yes, there is a GC in Ocala (so I've been told) and thats a paltry 15 miles away. Would I go there?? Nope... the dork on the phone told me flat out if I want a new release or a good selection, I have to go at least 60 miles down to Orlando where the "bigger store" is. This is the reason I do all my own set up work and ignore GC at all costs.

Are you serious KB? You're basing your decision not to visit the store based on one telephone conversation with one clueless worker that probably doesn't like their store's selection because they don't carry enough 8-string guitars or have any Peavey 5150's on the floor? I don't belive that's it.

I just looked at the current used inventory at Ocala and the seem to have a decent amount including a few lower end Gibsons priced appropriately. Here's a Nighthawk as an example.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=2&srch&category=37&q=ocala&distance=100&sort=0&dir=desc

I use their website to see what's come in as far as used gear daily. From the "Used Gear" tab, Put the store city in the search box and then choose either Guitars, Amps, Accessories (or any of the other selections) to see what they have.

That's how I snagged the 2001 Flying V for my son and the mint 2011 60's tribute LP Goldtop about 1-1/2 years ago. Both were priced at $549 which was as good as you can do on craigslist plus they honor their 30 satisfaction return guarantee. I used that on an amp that I purchased and they were great when I returned it.

GC is just great if YOU know what you're doing.

V2_zpsron2kgcf.jpg

201160sTribute_zpsb0b75b56.jpg

While I hated to do it, I traded in the gold top to them when I was unsuccessful at selling it on CL to upgrade to the new 2013 LP Trad Pro II at the beginning of this year. I managed to get $500 in trade and $300 off the new one from them. I'm happy with that!

GC is just great if YOU know what you're doing.

Totally agree.

I've found more killer deals at GC than you can shake a stick at, both online and in person. Please ignore the quality used guitars and amps flowing through their stores nationally, because you'll just be leaving more opportunity for me to snap up another fine piece.

In between all the mediocre and sometimes overpriced stuff, there are a significant number of gems. Thing is, they don't generally just plop themselves at your feet. You've got to work to find them, and then know what in the heck you're looking at!

I agree, bobouz,

The selection of used guitars/gear at my local GC, and the one I visited in Grand Prairie, TX anyway, was impressive.

AND they network very well, as it turns out.

Here's a good story;

I own (among a great number of other amplifiers) this Peavey Vypyr amp, and a year after acquiring it realized that I would like to own the accompanying (optional) controller pedal.

(The pedal makes for really easy looping, if nothing else)

I went to my GC here in Huntsville, and inquired after the pedal.

The young dude at the guitar service counter looked up in his inventory, and reported that he had one in stock, but he advised, "Wow. This pedal will cost you over $125. I can find you a used one for much cheaper if you like."

I blinked. "How does that work?" I asked.

He grinned, "It's easy. I just look in the computer here for that model of Peavey pedal, and all the used ones in the Guitar Center network pop up on display. See, here is one right up the road at a Guitar Center in Ohio. It's only 40 bucks, and they'll ship it to your house within two days."

Young dude rang me up, gave my my military discount, and even with shipping, I paid only $45 right there at the counter.

Sure enough. Two days later the pedal arrived at my door. Pristine, complete with MIDI cable, and the thing works great.

I was impressed, I guess that's what I am saying.

I understand the hate on display here for Guitar Center, really I do.

Much like Walmart, they are a large super-store corporation, (okay, not as big as Walmart maybe) and in many cases, every time one shows up in a large town, one or two local guitar shops fold up shop and shut down.

That really sucks, and it's the one thing I don't care for about it.

But we (currently anyway) live in a free-market society, and if the market will bear it, the market will evolve into it.

In Huntsville, we have had exactly one music shop go under since the opening of this Guitar Center here.

All the rest are still thriving and doing well.

And the one that closed has a sister shop (same owners) still operating in another town nearby, and they are doing good sales.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been buying some really good guitars from GC's all over the country for over a year now...because I finally realized they have SO MUCH STUFF, new and used, coming and going, they really don't do much to it or know much about it. There might be a few guys who know their stuff, but not everyone who works there is a guitar expert.

KNOW what you are looking at, even online, try to talk with someone with SOME knowledge, and ask whatever questions you need to ask up front. I have had some GREAT experiences with GC guitar managers - one who sold be an '80's Guild Pilot Bass and a few days later realized they had the factory case that went with it, and called me about it and shipped it from California to PA free.

In June, I bought a Les Paul Junior, 2010, that had just come in so recently they had not got a pic of it online. It was pretty cheap, great condition - looked like a few hours playing time, and had the factory gig bag and paperwork. It's a gem.

Know what you are looking at, talk with someone who at least sounds smart, and if you really want it, BUY IT...don't think too long or it will be gone.

I have bought some real dogs from GC, but they have always refunded on them with no questions and I have actually made money re-selling used guitars I bought from them with a little TLC and clean up.

They are headquartered here, 1/2 a block away from my work. I've had good luck and experience with them. Just opened up a new shop in Westlake Village about 1/2 mile away. Bought a monitor today. No problems at all.

I bought 3 guitars from GC, got a super great deal on my Gold Top there. They have a couple great older guys on the floor, but I noticed if they aren't working, the younger ones there are like, Huh? I started off liking GC, still go there and check out the Gibson line and what's used but I've been more impressed with Deitz music lately. They seem to be better, and a little cheaper. Bought my last guitar there and love it. The salesman could explain a question to me about the pickups that GC couldn't. So I'm about done with GC on buying anything there.msp_thumbdn.gif

I had some "Fun" @ GC recently,,I wanted to check out some used amps,,for club work,,saw this amp,,and wanted to try it out. So,,grabbed a Epi SG from the wall,,plugged it in and the tuning was more than 1 whole step ABOVE 440! lol,,I thought,,wow I hope not all those gtrs on the wall are this mistuned,,and the poor little Epi SG neck was not diggin it at all. It had a pretty bad curve in the neck,,so tuned it down close to 440,,and didnt ever really adjust intonation wise after tuning it down. I did like the amp though,,I may pick it up. So,,I didnt bother trying any more of the other wall gtrs. To GC credit,,my 2013 SG Standard I bought played great,, right off the wall. Guess I should always take one of my axes when looking at amps,,,

I've bought a few guitars from Guitar Center Boston, Black LP Custom, which I played first and bough on the spot. Was perfect right out of the box. Bought my 1st edition Robot sight unseen there, amazing guitar. Again perfect right out of the box. I think that's more to Gibson's credit than Guitar Center. Then I bought a ES 339 which I had them ship to me to Spain… Sucked out of the box! Setup was terrible and I was never able to get it right, don't know who's fault that was. Could have been a wall hanger at GC but it looked like it was new in the box. Never bonded with it and it got traded. Bought one amp there a Egnator Rebel 30, disaster, they sold it to me with bad tubes, missing gig bag, foot switch and paper work.

I bought 3 guitars from GC, got a super great deal on my Gold Top there. They have a couple great older guys on the floor, but I noticed if they aren't working, the younger ones there are like, Huh? I started off liking GC, still go there and check out the Gibson line and what's used but I've been more impressed with Deitz music lately. They seem to be better, and a little cheaper. Bought my last guitar there and love it. The salesman could explain a question to me about the pickups that GC couldn't. So I'm about done with GC on buying anything there.msp_thumbdn.gif

Deitz Music? do you mean Dietz Music? Are you from Omaha or Lincoln?

Archived