Gibson Brands Forums

Who made you want to play a Flying V?

brundaddy

That natural V is a beauty!!!

I always knew the shape of the V when I was a child in the 70's and 80's and I knew I had to have one.

Kirk Hammet kinda secured the Flying V deal with me.

In '92 I saved for an epiphone V with a single locking trem and active style pickups. Was great, but I grew out of it.

Then I got my brand new '67 reissue V. Awesome. I've never looked back.

Everybody that mattered to a teen in the 80s prioritized a V/ "V-offbody" or at least played one

- Jimi Hendrix

- Randy Rhoads

- Dave Mustaine

- Kerry King

- KK Downing

- Hetfield & Hamett when they were respectable (early-mid 1980s)

- Dan Spitz and Scott Ian (Randy Rhoads models)

... the list is goes on

Dave Mustaine, Kerry King, Judas Priest, Accept, Sabbat, Entombed, Dismember, Grave, Grave digger.. James and Kirk, back in the 80s, Randy rhoads

It must be the American Thrash scene that mainly made me want to have a Flying V.

And then it's the Gibson Flying V ((Non gibson's; Jackson RR1, the randy rhoads signature, Jackson KV2, and ESP DV8 Dave mustaine signature))

I never liked the V's much. I actually owned one ages and ages ago. But recently I have been wanting one again. The people who are known for Flying Vs are not my type of music; but Keith played one @ Hyde Park; only time he ever played one Live. And it sounds pretty good. Plus on one of Bryan Ferry's lesser known solo albums, the guitarrist is using one and sounds great. So I will start looking.

• 2 weeks later...

After listening to UFO's Obsession when I was 14 in '78, I just HAD to get my hands on a V. Not only did M. Schenker make me want a V, he's the one who inspired me to start playing guitar. To me, he is the epitome of melodic lead guitar playing. Just listen to Phenomenon or Force It - the lead breaks are like short stories...

Archived