Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Familiar With "Auto-Wah"?

Silvercrow

This may not be the forum to ask this question, but since I'd plan on using it with my LP... [smile]

I just watched the "Dark Side of the Mule, Set 1" video for the umteenth time, and Warren Haynes is a guitarist I greatly admire. I'd read before that he uses an "Auto Wah" and he apparently uses it on the song "Brighter Days" which starts off the video on YouTube. Seems a pretty cool effect- but I don't particularly understand how it works?

Would I be correct in saying the effect is triggered by pick / attack? If so, I'd imagine that could be altered by manipulation of the control knobs on the pedal itself?

Any info and comments, opinions on this effect are welcomed. If this should be posted somewhere else let me know...thanks in advance!

Brian

It's more accurately described as an envelope filter. The effect is controlled by voltage which is caused by volume. In other words as the volume of the picked note increases the envelope opens. As the volume of the note decreases the envelope closes.

The talk box on Peter Framptons Baby I Love Your Way is not a talk box at all but an envelope filter or as you say, an auto wah.

It's more accurately described as an envelope filter. The effect is controlled by voltage which is caused by volume. In other words as the volume of the picked note increases the envelope opens. As the volume of the note decreases the envelope closes.

The talk box on Peter Framptons Baby I Love Your Way is not a talk box at all but an envelope filter or as you say, an auto wah.

Thanks! I,m getting somewhere...I think!

If you Searcy, or anyone, might provide some songs that use the effect (I'm familiar with the Frampton you cite)thats very helpful, as I am not up so much on the technical aspects...but want the education!

I jsut heard "Little Wing" by Hendrix on the radio...is that an envelope filter / follower he is using on the outro solo? I know he used a few pedals but am unsure of what they are at the moment. But that kinda-of wah effect, that modulation if you will, as in the outro on Little Wing, is something I'd pursue...

I should mention I am an effects pedal..reta...er...challenged! All I've ever used was an OD and a Wah, and since the wah was only used on one or two tunes, I got rid of it. I'm exploring...envelope filters and delays at the moment.

Thanks in advance...

Brian

The solo from this classic oldie is one of my favorite auto wah solos. The effect starts at about 20 second into the video.

Can't wait to hear it! The work filters block alot...this included. But I'll be home early...thanks Searcy!

Brian

One thing that's worth pointing out is that you will usually have a lot of problems using an envelope filter in conjunction with any pedal that adds compression (like a compressor pedal, overdrive, distortion, or fuzz). Since the envelope filter uses your pick attack to control the filter, compression will ruin the effect by limiting the dynamic range.

The envelope filter that I built for myself has an effects loop so you can use any compressor or distortion or anything like that in the loop of the pedal. The pedal sees your uncompressed pick attack, and applies the filter to the effect in the loop. This has made this pedal a lot more useful for me

One thing that's worth pointing out is that you will usually have a lot of problems using an envelope filter in conjunction with any pedal that adds compression (like a compressor pedal, overdrive, distortion, or fuzz). Since the envelope filter uses your pick attack to control the filter, compression will ruin the effect by limiting the dynamic range.

The envelope filter that I built for myself has an effects loop so you can use any compressor or distortion or anything like that in the loop of the pedal. The pedal sees your uncompressed pick attack, and applies the filter to the effect in the loop. This has made this pedal a lot more useful for me

I've been doing some reading on pedal placement...I see what you mean. Would it alleviate it if you put the envelope filter before the od? I just today printed off a short "white paper by Robt. Keeley and he talks about placement and the effects one pedal may / or may not have, good and bad, on each other...

Brian

I like auto-wah and have a pedal called a Meatball which is IMO the ultimate autowah.

But it is a bit dated in some ways - This 70s track from Pat Martino uses it...perhaps a bit much:

And here is Herbie Hancock using it in his keyboard rhythm track from the early 80s, much better:

I like auto-wah and have a pedal called a Meatball which is IMO the ultimate autowah.

But it is a bit dated in some ways - This 70s track from Pat Martino uses it...perhaps a bit much:

And here is Herbie Hancock using it in his keyboard rhythm track from the early 80s, much better:

The envelope filter that I use is a Meatball clone that I built. It is amazing. I love that pedal. Wouldn't you agree that the effects loop is what makes it great? I run mine with a Boss OC-2 that I modified to sound basically like an analog synth and it sounds so crazy

Here's a pic of my build

C638F3D0-95F3-48F0-84A3-754CF7A74D2D_zpszacnkfys.jpg

I've been doing some reading on pedal placement...I see what you mean. Would it alleviate it if you put the envelope filter before the od? I just today printed off a short "white paper by Robt. Keeley and he talks about placement and the effects one pedal may / or may not have, good and bad, on each other...

Brian

It would let the envelope filter work but it might not sound good depending on the overdrive or whatever other pedal you're using. Generally the effects loop on the envelope filter is a big improvement.

Thanks All! Jdgm- for the cool vids, and Dub T 123; I wasn't understanding- so the loop is built into the pedal! BTW_ great looking pedals you are building!

Listening yet again to Govt Mule- I know its the envelope filter / auto wah but added I think he may be using a Uni Vibe also! Hendrix used that too or something similar. I,m looking for something to add some texture and I like the envelope filter effet, but also am exploring the Uni Vibe. FullTone has a good sounding Deja Vibe...

Whew- so much I've missed over the years, or maybe that I'm getting older and finally breaking out of the mold...LOL!

Brian

The envelope filter that I use is a Meatball clone that I built. It is amazing. I love that pedal. Wouldn't you agree that the effects loop is what makes it great? I run mine with a Boss OC-2 that I modified to sound basically like an analog synth and it sounds so crazy

Here's a pic of my build

C638F3D0-95F3-48F0-84A3-754CF7A74D2D_zpszacnkfys.jpg

Yes the effect loop makes a big difference and you can get some great synth-y sounds and effects. FX loops in pedals = [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup].

I think your clone looks great Dub, more heavy-duty than the original!

Here is a Warren Haynes 'rig rundown' from 2010:

And here is a page with his fx pedals - including Emma Discombobulator and H&K Rotosphere - I expect the soundman adds delay etc from the desk:

http://equipboard.com/pros/warren-haynes/#effects-pedals

Regards!

I have used a Dunlop Crybaby throughout my career but recently I have used Auto-Wah because it is more convenient, guess I have become lazy. A song on Blue Rain's latest album wher I use Auto-Wah:

http://open.spotify....S9Cp4E6yey6VxwJ

As mentioned, it is the volume and attack that makes the sound go from dark to bright. It takes a bit of adjustments on both amp and guitar volume/tone controls to get it right. This also means that you can change the tone while playing by how hard you pick and also by turning the knobs.

I use the effect in a Vox Stomplab:

c0584add9add98913a24f1cbe83e3040_zpsc18e2904.jpg

//Robert

i saw a rig run down on him not that long ago, and the tech said he operates some of the pedals for him. i was surprised. i play alot of mule stuff, wish i could find other guys to jam with who also do

I don't suppose you are anywhere near south/eastern Pa.? I'm having the same problem; finding someone to collaborate with, play some Mule, Little Feat, Hot Tuna and really interested in working on originals.

Anybody within "striking distance" of Philly who'd like to get together, "Have Guitar, Will Travel"...seriously...

Brian

Archived