Gibson Brands Forums

Recently passed...

jdgm

I don't want to overdo anything in the light of some current extremely tragic events, but some very good people have recently left us:

The great saxophonist Ornette Coleman passed away on 11th June, aged 85. An icon.

Guitarists and forum members might enjoy his ingenious blues composition "Turnaround" as played by Pat Metheny (with Charlie Haden and Jack DeJohnette) on the album '80/81', or the tremendous version by Steve Khan (with Anthony Jackson and Dennis Chambers) on his album 'Headline'. And - a classic - "Ramblin'" as played by David Sanborn on 'Upfront'. If you are a bit bolder, the album 'Song X' is a Pat Metheny/Ornette Coleman collaboration.

Coleman had an electric band called 'Prime Time' which had 2 guitarists, 2 bass players and 2 drummers.

In recent years his quartet was 2 bass players and his son on drums. I saw this a few years ago - Patti Smith and Bill Frisell guested - it was pretty amazing.

There is also an album of Coleman and Prime Time called 'Virgin Beauty' which features Jerry Garcia on 3 tracks.

Harold Battiste, legendary arranger from New Orleans, has passed - he arranged Sam Cooke's "You Send Me", Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" and much of Dr John's early output. And a whole lot more over many years....a truly fantastic musician.

And - No! - Phil Austin, ace comedian from the Firesign Theater has died. The album "Everything You Know Is Wrong" features Austin as the befuddled Dr 'Happy' Harry Cox, new age alien investigator (among other roles) and is one of their very finest and funniest recordings.

They were totally unique - you really never will hear anything else like it.

R.I.P. all these human beings whose creative output, art and love of life has so much enriched my and many others lives and experiences.

There is also an album of Coleman and Prime Time called 'Virgin Beauty' which features Jerry Garcia on 3 tracks.

That eluded me, somehow.

You just never knew where Garcia was going to pop up.

Archived