Gibson Brands Forums

Been smoking too long - Nick Drake cover-J-45

flatbaroque

Not written by him.Probably why it's in standard tuning.Some hints of Davy Graham's / Jansch Anji. .Have a good weekend all you Gibbons and Martinets.

flatbaroque, not clear, is this you on the Youtube clip? Great version anyway [thumbup]

If so I have a question (sorry if it sounds a bit personal - it's not intended that way)

I noticed that you seem to have quite long nails on your left hand. You see I happen to have nails that grow well past the ends of my fingers and I often wish Id been a nail biter (I'm not and never was) so that I was left with stubby ends to my fingers.

Now my reason for asking is that I find it very awkward (nails getting in the way) to not touch other strings when fretting. Do you have any such problems?

Sorry again if this is impertinent.

Mick, you read my mind; I've watched several of Mr. Baroque's excellent videos and wondered the same thing about nail length. I HAVE to keep the nails on my left hand trimmed short or I can't finger chords correctly.

So, flat, how do you do it?

Mick, you read my mind; I've watched several of Mr. Baroque's excellent videos and wondered the same thing about nail length. I HAVE to keep the nails on my left hand trimmed short or I can't finger chords correctly.

So, flat, how do you do it?

Yes Joe - I'm constantly cutting and filing - they grow faster on my left hand than they do on my right [confused]

Cool!

Thanks for that, ole longnails!

After you give the smokes the heave, as in the tune, spend the money saved on a Wolfram Crystal nail file maybe. (Kidding - mine arrived yesterday and I am not sure about it just yet - it needs more patience than nail clippers and then a polish on the bricks outside, or as the guitar tech - a quick run across the emery wheel).

BluesKing777.

Archived