Gibson Brands Forums

My new gig rig

surfpup

Betcha didn't see this coming... the guy who loves his old tube amps and builds point to point effects pedals joining the digital dark side? :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, here it is - the Digitech RP1000 I've used for my last few gigs...

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

Nice looking unit...give us your feedback ( no pun intended ) about it compared to a more traditional setups ( pedal boards. analog etc etc)..would you consider it a permanent replacement?

I guess the obvious question would be, does it sound as good as my tube amps? The answer is without a doubt no - and I did not expect it to. My old tube amps sound and feel better, and I still plan to use them for larger gigs and concerts where people come to really listen.

However, I'd say it sounds 75% as good - and to the average Joe drinking and socializing in a bar that's more than good enough. Before, I was spending an hour setting up amps and pedals and mics. With this, I can set up in a few minutes, especially in the places we play with a house PA. And the variety of sounds at my disposal is phenomenal. [thumbup]

I guess then, Rowdy, I'd consider it not really a replacement - just an alternative for the average gig.

I can dig the digital stuff especially if you just stop setting it to impossible standards.

My gf is my drummer and she plays an electric drum kit. It makes it SO easy to rehearse quietly and I figure with gigs it can go right to the PA and not shadow the vocals or my guitar. Making a set up easier is a major win.

I mean, if you get the sound you want for the most part, why not use whatever tools make it the simplest?

Good luck pup. I hated mine from the get go. Like you I was looking for something simple for smaller gigs but my frustration over not sounding quite right drove me nuts. I couldn't return mine quick enough. Probably just me though. I'm too old to learn new tricks.lol

Good luck pup. I hated mine from the get go. Like you I was looking for something simple for smaller gigs but my frustration over not sounding quite right drove me nuts. I couldn't return mine quick enough. Probably just me though. I'm too old to learn new tricks.lol

Well, the stock sounds suck a$$ for sure. I've spent a lot of time tweaking, but I have 20 or so really good sounds that fit the songs we do. The hardest part going direct to the PA was getting a good monitor sound. I find using a small tube amp as a side fill is better for all of us - adds some "feel" so I do that instead of putting in in the monitor mix.

oh Surf... I'll pray for your soul...

come back ! go towards the light !

I know, right. [scared] Don't worry, we have a bigger gig coming up next month and it will be all tube amps and pedals, dude! [thumbup]

Looks good surfpup , I get the easier to set up for the average Joe drinking and socializing in a bar that's more than good enough. plus the weight of tube amps,I'm with you 100% playing for a crowd that comes to here you play versa a bunch sitting around shooting the bull (I find myself not giving a schit too their not there too here you play just some place to park their butt and be around people that like music)

rock on pup

4H

Nice! I still have my Vetta II and I love it. It can get very close to tube sounds, and it's got everything in it but the kitchen sink, including effects. It's impossible finding a single amp that can play SRV and Rush. I sacrificed on the absolute tube sound but gained so much more in versatility.

This is funny because 2 months ago I have bought a Boss GT-100 because of the 4 cables method connection and with the classic rock cover band it works really good for stuff like Pink Floyd or UFO with lot of effect but keep my tube amp sound as it is connected to my Marshall JVM410 head.

But with my blues band as we have rehearsal studio, we rehearse at bass player place and so the drummer brought his electronic kit, and I simply use the GT100 connected to the PA.

At the very begining I hated the sound but after few settings trial I have found some interesting sound, it is so reliable so easy.

Of course this is not sounding like a real tube amp with some boutique pedals, but with the classic rock band I am sure I can use directly through the PA, no one will notice the difference I am sure :)

Betcha didn't see this coming... the guy who loves his old tube amps and builds point to point effects pedals joining the digital dark side?...

No; but you've absolutely nailed the reasons why it's such a useful addition (and not replacement) to your sonic arsenal.

I had never played a digital modelling amp until I tried out the (original) Line Six Flextone and was amazed and surprised by it's versatility and tonal quality.

In the same manner I'm sure the Digitech will be the perfect choice for a great many situations for you.

HNGRD!

[thumbup]

P.

this is the same reason I have a 2 Fender Mustang amps (a III and a IV)

nothing can really replace a good tube amp, (I have three) and a coupla good pedals...

Guitar, Cable, to the amp, a small foot switch to control settings/presets, and boom! you have just about everything you need,,

if you're doing a one set show, or at a friends house for a afternoon jam, there's nothing you can't get out of these,

when all is said and done, you're out of there in 5 minutes and one trip to the car.

Archived