Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone tried one of these short scale M-words?

62burst

Only a couple of these short scale Martin D-18 SS's come up for sale each year. Don't know if they're still being made, but it would be interesting to hear one next to a J-45. Or to speak in terms of Squares, it would be interesting to sit down with the D-18SS, and a Hummingbird:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Custom-Shop-Guitar-D-18SS-Short-Scale-Martin-D-18-Dreadnought-Near-MINT-/111700403746?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a01dce622

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-21%20at%204.57.40%20PM_zps9xuf0txi.png

Only a couple of these short scale Martin D-18 SS's come up for sale each year. Don't know if they're still being made, but it would be interesting to hear one next to a J-45. Or to speak in terms of Squares, it would be interesting to sit down with the D-18SS, and a Hummingbird:

I played a few of the D-18SS boxes before I bought a J-45. Went into Music Villa here in Bozeman looking for a mahogany guit-box and was given some J-45s and some SS D-18s as the comparison would be nearly ideal.

They were fine, really, like any Martin is, but they lacked that growl of the J-45 that I liked so much.

Needless to say, none of the guitars I played that day really spoke to me so I left with nothing.

Months later, I was at Wildwood Guitars in CO and compared some J-45s, D-18s, and some SS D-18. Same thing. They sounded great and felt just the same (maybe a more narrow nut?) but still lacked that thump, that growl, that unique voice that I heard in the J-45.

Good guitars all around, but they didn't speak to me like my J-45 did.

I would really be interested to hear Bug Thumb Tony compare the long and short-scale version of the D-18, assuming everything else is the same. Not sure you could make everything else the same, if the neck join is still at the 14th fret. I suppose the bracing could be exactly the same, but the bridge would need to be shifted forward a very small amount, since you can't make all the scale length adjustment on the neck without moving the neck join.

I struggle to believe there would be a significant difference tonally.

Archived