Gibson Brands Forums

Someone Explain What an R9 is, Verses any other R8, 7, 6 etc.

Californiaman

Also (and I am just guessing here) there are no re-issues from 1952 to 1955 because the Les Paul had initially the trapeze tail piece and then the wraparound bridge, I guess those features are not very desirable.

Am I right or is there another reason for not reissuing those years?

EDIT: isn't there an R4? or was that a limited run?

Also (and I am just guessing here) there are no re-issues from 1952 to 1955 because the Les Paul had initially the trapeze tail piece and then the wraparound bridge' date=' I guess those features are not very desirable.

Am I right or is there another reason for not reissuing those years?

EDIT: isn't there an R4? or was that a limited run?[/quote']

there are R2s and R4s out there

Californiaman, it's not that Les' contract ended with Gibson, it's that he hated the SG and didn't want his name on it.

The first few SGs actually had the words "Les Paul" on them and if you look at the Custom Shop SGs, they also have "Les Paul" on them.

Historic Customs have it on the piece of plastic between the neck and the neck pickup.

Historic Standards have it on the truss rod cover.

Here's something you don't see everyday.

les_portrait_SG.jpg

Californiaman' date=' it's not that Les' contract ended with Gibson, it's that he hated the SG and didn't want his name on it.

The first few SGs actually had the words "Les Paul" on them and if you look at the Custom Shop SGs, they also have "Les Paul" on them.

Historic Customs have it on the piece of plastic between the neck and the neck pickup.

Historic Standards have it on the truss rod cover.

Here's something you don't see everyday.

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gibson_Tim/les_portrait_SG.jpg[/img]

Didn't like the SG? That's interesting.

Actually the inside story I heard was the famous '50's duo - "Les Paul and Mary Ford" were going through a bitter California divorce between 1961 and 1964, when it became finalized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Ford

Les's attorney suggested Les shelter all his assets the best he could. Since the early '50s Gibson was paying Les a steady income for use of his name on the guitars, and Mary would be entitled to 50% of that income.

So in late 1961, Les requested Gibson's CEO Ted McCarty temporarily cease putting Les's name on the guitars until after his divorce - to shelter his assets.

However, after the Beatles hit in 1964, Gibson was too distracted trying to produce newer models to directly compete with Fender at every price point (reverse Firebird, Epiphone Wilshire, Kalamazoo KM-2)

But by late 1967 it became clear Les Paul guitars were very popular again (Mike Bloomfield, Clapton, Beck, Harrison, etc)- and Gibson and Les struck a new deal for the 1968 re-introduction.

doesnt anyone find it odd that Les would use a guitar he hated so much on all his press materials in 1961?

bFm_cLS5bBjMwAScOzBiMjRN6Ag2nM9F.jpg

Archived