Gibson Brands Forums

just a daft thought!

rich1978

Always wanted to learn but they are way expensive....

you telling me a lp ain't mate I can see what ya thinking the sax is a very cool [thumbup]

Well its not so much that.. But if I ever have that sort of money.. Id always buy a guitar :)

Plus I have enough trouble mastering the guitar let alone a whole new genre of instrument...

Listening to stuff like this makes me wanna play sax

Edit. and actually more to the point its been a while since I had that sort of spare cash.. that's why I say, maybe one day :)

just a daft thought! if the guitar hadn't been invented what would you want to play?

Therefore there's no blues/rock music to speak of as an influence, at least as we know it...

then I'd probably have been drawn to Jazz next, so Sax, Clarinet, Double Bass, Drums or Piano I'd reckon.

I used to drive Granny crazy " playing " empty Quaker Oats boxes & old Coffee Cans with her pencils..

Went to join Grammar school band , everyone wanted to play drums , so I took trumpet because Herb Alpert & TJ brass..

What a fiasco.. !

X

SAX! Alto (is that the lower, soulful one?)!

I've been "zoinked" on the guitar since I was about 5 or 6 years old. Seriously bitten! But the old man thought the guitar an instrument of the devil.

He got me a clarinet. After two years of getting beat up by other kids, and coming home with lumps on my head from the sadistic music teacher; he'd 'knuckle' you on the head when you played a clam- I came home one day and told the old man he could beat me but I was DONE with the clarinet.

I was too young and stupid to know the similarities between the clarinet and the sax. And of all the non-guitar instruments, the one that speaks most to me is the sax.

Brian

Easy.. The Saxophone...

I can picture this.

Producer guy: "Holy Crap, Clarence is warming up, get the tape on!"

Now departed keys guy: "Man, he's always been the best."

Steve VZ: "This is good. Let's get high."

Drummer guy: "I'm going to be on tv someday."

Bruce: "<mumble mumble> damn, <mumble> we <mumble> should get a song in front of this."

BEST. SWEETEST. DREAMIEST. SAX SOLO. EVER. Wait for it:

rct

I was forced to learn piano from about age 8.

In those days you would get hit over the hands/knuckles HARD with a wooden ruler if you made a mistake. And 8-year old kids learning new skills make mistakes quite a lot.

One day I went for my dreaded piano lesson and the teacher was holding a broken chair leg instead of the ruler.

Nasty old b**** put me off learning any musical instrument for the rest of my childhood. I'm sure she's dead now - I really hope so. I'd sue if I could.

My Dad shouted and roared when I said I wanted to stop. "You'll regret it!!"

And (of course) I would like to be able to play piano now.

At the next, bigger school they asked me if I wanted to begin to learn (classical) guitar as I was mad for pop music (that's what it was called back then).

I remembered the ruler smashing into my knuckles at the slightest error and I got scared and said 'no'. I was 12 or 13.

Apologies for rant - other than that; drums. Jazz drums like Elvin Jones.

SAX! Alto (is that the lower, soulful one?)!

I've been "zoinked" on the guitar since I was about 5 or 6 years old. Seriously bitten! But the old man thought the guitar an instrument of the devil.

He got me a clarinet. After two years of getting beat up by other kids, and coming home with lumps on my head from the sadistic music teacher; he'd 'knuckle' you on the head when you played a clam- I came home one day and told the old man he could beat me but I was DONE with the clarinet.

I was too young and stupid to know the similarities between the clarinet and the sax. And of all the non-guitar instruments, the one that speaks most to me is the sax.

Brian

Actually this is what I always wanted to do... Love the sax noise ;)

Easy.. The Saxophone...

Always wanted to learn but they are way expensive.... May get round to it one day :)

I have a sax for sale. My son used it in High School. Paid about $1,400. for it. Make an offer. It's currently on Craig's List St. Louis for $700.

I have a sax for sale. My son used it in High School. Paid about $1,400. for it. Make an offer. It's currently on Craig's List St. Louis for $700.

Cheers.. I wish I had any sort of money spare... if I did it would probably go towards buying some really nice bench tools which right now would be much more useful to me :)

Cheers.. I wish I had any sort of money spare... if I did it would probably go towards buying some really nice bench tools which right now would be much more useful to me :)

Come to think of it, shipping to the UK wouldn't be worth it anyway with insurance and all. Just thought I'd get it out there.

Archived