Gibson Brands Forums

Trip Advice

surfpup

Hoping I might take advantage of this widely dispersed and well traveled group...

We are planning a summer trip, and I'd love some advice on a few locations. We are mostly focusing on Lake Ontario area. Campgrounds and hotels are reserved for the following locations... Niagara (US side), 1000 Islands (Canadian side), Toronto, Cleveland, and Nashville, so I don't need advice on accommodations. What I would love to know is are there any "must see" or "must do" or "must eat" locations in any of those areas. Anyone have anything awesome to recommend? We have a 5 year old, so nightlife is pretty much out, but any recommendations for restaurants, museums, parks, monuments, landmarks, etc. would be greatly appreciated. [thumbup]

If you're in Niagara on the US side then you should really check out Buffalo. Tourism this summer is at an all time high. Yep, you heard right, I said "Buffalo" and "tourism" in the same sentence! The Anchor Bar is the place to get original wings, although we locals like Duff's better. Check out the Canal Side for some free concerts and the historic Erie Canal. Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House Complex is a must see (Darwin Martin was the only person ever dumb enough to give Wright a blank check, so he went nuts). He also designed Graycliff, which is being restored right now. Our park was designed by Olmstead who also did Central Park. If you like planes, check out the Niagara Aerospace Museum (the aerospace history here is great).

If you have time you gotta go to the HOG in Rochester too. Send me a PM and I'll tell you more.

Surfpup,

Music city ( Nashville ) The Ryman .

Country Music H.O.F

Gruhns Guitars.

A short drive north into Kentucky - Mammoth Cave .

GIBSON Obviously..

Safe travels, ENJOY !!!

X

You've been to Nashville a bunch of times right?

For pizza go to Five Points Pizza in east Nashville, I am sure your 5 year old will be up for that.

The Pharmacy in east Nashville, burgers and beer garden, across the street is Mas Tacos Por Favor, great place to eat if you can get in.

Nashville Hot Chicken, bunch of places to choose from.

Athens Greek Restaurant, lamb burger (as shown in Diners, Drive Inns and Dives)

Baja Burrito in the 100 Oaks area, I love their brisket burrito. (1 out of 10 times the brisket is tough but that's better odds than me smoking a brisket)

Radnor Lake for a hike right within the city limits.

If you get anywhere NEAR Chattanooga,

SEE ROCK CITY !

It's well worth the time and money. After decades of seeing those signs we did it several years back and this guys work is mind boggling, not to mention the views.

Be safe, Pup.......

You've been to Nashville a bunch of times right?

For pizza go to Five Points Pizza in east Nashville, I am sure your 5 year old will be up for that.

The Pharmacy in east Nashville, burgers and beer garden, across the street is Mas Tacos Por Favor, great place to eat if you can get in.

Nashville Hot Chicken, bunch of places to choose from.

Athens Greek Restaurant, lamb burger (as shown in Diners, Drive Inns and Dives)

Baja Burrito in the 100 Oaks area, I love their brisket burrito. (1 out of 10 times the brisket is tough but that's better odds than me smoking a brisket)

Radnor Lake for a hike right within the city limits.

you'll bloody well need that hike after sampling Nashville's other delights by the sound of it [laugh]

sounds like my kind of town!

you're staying on the US side while in the Niagra area?

if you do head over to Canada, you could check out Niagra on The Lake, it's cool little village in Wine Country on lake Ontario.

lots of great pubs and cafe's for lunch, and small unique shops. it's about 20 minutes from the falls general area.

you're staying on the US side while in the Niagra area?

if you do head over to Canada, you could check out Niagra on The Lake, it's cool little village in Wine Country on lake Ontario.

lots of great pubs and cafe's for lunch, and small unique shops. it's about 20 minutes from the falls general area.

Yes the US side - but later we will be on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario (1000 Islands and Toronto). We will likely cross back through Niagara area on the way to Cleveland -so we can check out Niagara on the Lake then - thanks!

Toronto is the largest city in Canada and world class so take your pick of big city attractions (museums, planetarium, Chinatown, etc). Your son might like the CN Tower. I recommend Casa Loma, the Hockey Hall of Fame (if you love hockey), and, most importantly, do not leave Toronto without having a pea meal bacon sandwich at the St. Lawrence market.

Sounds like a great trip. Make sure you take in the sites of Niagara Falls on the Canadian side too. Obtain a People Mover bus pass. The bus line stops at every attraction along the Falls. You can get on and off the bus at any point of interest all day long. I believe the bus line goes from Table Rock to the Floral Gardens. Broadway Street in Nashville is the place to be. Lots of live music at the many bars on the street. I believe Gibson does not offer tours of their plant in Nashville. You would have to go to Memphis, which is also a great town with lots to see including tours at the Gibson factory. Chattanooga has a nice downtown. Make sure you take in Lookout Mountain and the Incline. I've been through Buffalo many times, but never stopped to see the City. The Rock Hall in Cleveland is worth a visit. The best way to get a flavor of Cleveland is to take a guided tour via Lolly the Trolley. Cleveland has excellent ethic foods from China Town to Little Italy and every place in between. Little known fact is the wine region east of Cleveland, Madison and Geneva area. Lots of wineries with live entertainment I am envious of your vacation, enjoy. If you have any specific questions regarding Cleveland, let me know.

Kenny V

Hoping I might take advantage of this widely dispersed and well traveled group...

We are planning a summer trip, and I'd love some advice on a few locations. We are mostly focusing on Lake Ontario area. Campgrounds and hotels are reserved for the following locations... Niagara (US side), 1000 Islands (Canadian side), Toronto, Cleveland, and Nashville, so I don't need advice on accommodations. What I would love to know is are there any "must see" or "must do" or "must eat" locations in any of those areas. Anyone have anything awesome to recommend? We have a 5 year old, so nightlife is pretty much out, but any recommendations for restaurants, museums, parks, monuments, landmarks, etc. would be greatly appreciated. [thumbup]

What no Pittsburgh on the itinerary?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who offered advice. Trip agenda is looking good. Packing up camping gear tonight - tent and sleeping bags - no "glamping" for this family. The city stops (Toronto, Cleveland, and Nashville) will be hotels though. Looking forward to some cooler NY and Ontario weather! Even planning to hook up with Rocketman for some righteous chicken wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo - a place that's been on my list for some time. [thumbup]

....Niagara (US side).... What I would love to know is are there any "must see" or "must do"....

How about "must not do"? Do not try going over the falls. It's not as fun as you might think. [blink]

How about "must not do"? Do not try going over the falls. It's not as fun as you might think. [blink]

Yeah, I'm not planning on going over the falls! [biggrin] Can't imagine what possessed people to try that.

Archived