Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Have a Review of .....

KHT

..... the Keb' Mo' Signature Bluesmaster? Especially interested in opinions of "The guitar’s neck is carved to a custom Keb’ Mo’-designed sculpted V profile." Thanks!

Just one opinion. Neck shape and nut width are a very personal choice. You really need to play before you buy.

The day I bought my LG 2 American Eagle I played a Keb Mo and could not deal with the neck carve. I played three small body Gibsons that day and thought the AE played and sounded the best. The Keb Mo looked the coolest, though.

Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Good luck in your quest.

Rich

I have not played a KM Gibson in quite a while. Unless they have changed the design, those guitars had the pre-Gibson Epiphone-like French Heel neck heel rather than the standard Gibson flat up against the guitar one (which I think they called The Freedom neck or something when they came out with it). I actually like that neck heel but it might impact you if you like to play high up the neck. Don't care how cool the guitar looks though and I may be petty but I just could not bring myself to play a guitar with the name of the King of Pop Blues emblazoned on it.

..... the Keb' Mo' Signature Bluesmaster? Especially interested in opinions of "The guitar’s neck is carved to a custom Keb’ Mo’-designed sculpted V profile." Thanks!

It's a great guitar. I have one of the non-autographed ones (later runs).

I was able to try two before buying, and they were significantly different in the lower register. Both great, flawless builds.

The neck will take a little getting used to, but for me it's was no big deal.

As mentioned, the heel will get in the way if you want to play high up the neck. But that's not what I bought it for (I've got my Hummingbird for that). The Keb Mo is a blues box, good for picking and great for fingerstyle (lotsa space on the board, very forgiving)

Both that I tried took well to the capo, even up to some higher frets - always a sign of a good build in my opinion.

They're very good instruments - surprisingly good volume BTW.

I encourage you to try one.

It's a great guitar. I have one of the non-autographed ones (later runs).

I was able to try two before buying, and they were significantly different in the lower register. Both great, flawless builds.

The neck will take a little getting used to, but for me it's was no big deal.

As mentioned, the heel will get in the way if you want to play high up the neck. But that's not what I bought it for (I've got my Hummingbird for that). The Keb Mo is a blues box, good for picking and great for fingerstyle (lotsa space on the board, very forgiving)

Both that I tried took well to the capo, even up to some higher frets - always a sign of a good build in my opinion.

They're very good instruments - surprisingly good volume BTW.

I encourage you to try one.

Oh, and the Keb Mo is only on the truss rod cover (I replaced it with a pure black one)... The worst guitar for a flashy name is the Robert Johnson, no way to remove that....

Archived