Gibson Brands Forums

What cases GAS?

Izzy

I played a ES 139 today...LP shaped hollow Gibson, nice...played well, sounded good but I wasn't over the moon....

THEN I read up on it and that is when I got GAS...

I do not NEED it, it doesn't FILL IN a sound I can't make with my current herd...WTF?!?!!?

Is it vanity? Is it because this item is sort of special and different and uncommon?

Ugh, it feels so wrong to want it knowing a large part of the reason is it's .... cool.

Is your GAS purely out of wanting something cool, or is it because you heard a sound you can't make with the current arsenal, or is it because you always wanted one, sound be damned? Or any other reason?

What makes the GAS worse? Researching, vids?

Haha! GAS is a mysterious thing. For me, I'd like to own 1 of most types of Gibson over my lifetime. So far I have 6 Les Pauls, 3 SG's, an ES-5 Switchmaster, ES-175, J-15, J-185 and a '59R Melody Maker. That's not to mention a bunch of Epi's, a Gretsch and a couple of Fenders. Now you'd think that would cover pretty much any tonal spectrum you'd need and also most aspects of design/ feel and shape... but no! I'm still after a number of Gibson's and then there is the whole vintage thing to get into :rolleyes:

I think looking at websites and books is the worst thing you can do if you have this condition! NEVER look at A.R. Duchossoir's book Gibson Electrics: The Classic Years. That is the best way to go bankrupt thinking you really need to add an ES-345, L5CES or Super 400 to your collection!

Well.....

What do you think of this?

"Acquisitiveness describes the greed to increase one's possessions, to acquire, hoard and save. It can be aimed on material or immaterial fields, depending on the development of other faculties. It stands for the love of oneself's capital and is thus basically a self-centred faculty."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquisitiveness_%28phrenology%29

A good definition (I'm not so sure about phrenology).... [smile]

"Acquisitiveness describes the greed to increase one's possessions, to acquire, hoard and save. It can be aimed on material or immaterial fields, depending on the development of other faculties. It stands for the love of oneself's capital and is thus basically a self-centred faculty."

Good definition, but I think it's more like an addiction in many respects or it could simply be that nice things make you feel good and in turn building up a large collection of nice things is rather satisfying [biggrin] Strange though, I don't really collect much else but guitars and music related stuff.

My brother bought a Porsche. I bought a bunch of guitars. Altogether, I spent a heck of lot less than he did, and his car sits in a garage the entire winter. [biggrin]

It's not vanity if you truly appreciate what you've got. My aunt and uncle bought my brother and me a Gibson Sonex when we were 13 years old (one each). We just loved that we owned a Gibson even though it was not a real Les Paul. But we always dreamed of getting a real Les Paul. Many years later I walked into GC and saw this beautiful Black Cherry Les Paul, and it played like a dream. I told my wife "all my life I wanted a Les Paul but I could never afford one" to which she said "you can now so get it." It NEVER dawned on me that I could because I had it drilled in my head that I would never own a real Les Paul. Then a case a GAS hit me. But, as wife points out, I cherish each guitar I own, and I never forgot the days of my dreams that I would own a Les Paul.

Hello Izzy.

The ES-139. I fell in love with that guitar when I saw the very first pictures. Then, when I saw it in real life, - in an Austrian shop -, immediately lost my interest. Basically a chambered Les Paul.

Regarding GAS. It can be anything, probably the appearance of the instrument is the prime reason for it. Or, the combination of the looks, and a tone You are expecting from it.

What I usually do, when I fall into this mental state (and have the money for the guitar), is to wait a week or two. It might just go away as suddenly as it came.

Best wishes... Bence

I played a ES 139 today.....

I do not NEED it, it doesn't FILL IN a sound I can't make with my current herd...WTF?!?!!?

What makes the GAS worse? Researching, vids?

I remember liking the look of the 139 when it was released. Nice.

Only one vol / one tone but Nice!

I don't get GAS anymore yet the other day I bought a new guitar (the D'Angelico seen in the other thread). Why?................:-k

I don't really know.

Perhaps because I've never owned a guitar quite like it; yet my #2 go-to is my 1940's Gipsy-Jazzer but, because that instrument is purely acoustic, the p'up on the new acquisition made it a 'sensible choice'?

Which is where Izzy's final question comes in...

I first saw a snap of the D'A towards the end of last year. I didn't know that someone had bought the commercial rights to re-introduce the fabled D'Angelico name and was interested enough to read up on the guitar. Then, several months later, the Rev David Lee bought one and was mightily impressed. All three of these events - seeing a snap; researching it; the Rev's unstinting praise for his example - made me very curious to try one out for myself. So I did.

If I didn't rate it that would have been an end of the matter and I wouldn't have given it another thought. But it was nice. Unusual and vastly different from anything I had ever even played before let alone thought about buying. "Intriguing" is possibly the best way to describe it's fascination. And it IS a fascinating instrument.

Perhaps GAS comes down to that which fascinates us?...............Just a thought.

As far as the Wiki definition (post #4) goes; I find myself in considerable disagreement with whoever wrote that entry.

Out of academic interest I've just checked and Chambers's (sic!...[scared]) Dictionary agrees with me...[laugh]

"Acquisitiveness - Propensity to acquire"....and...."Propensity - Inclination of Mind".

Therefore acquisitiveness is nothing more drastic than an inclination. Not Greed. Not Need. Just Inclination.

I also utterly reject the claim that;

"It stands for the love of oneself's capital..."

Complete Bollocks.

'Capital' doesn't need to come into the equation. One can have a wonderful, fascinating collection of objects which hasn't cost the collector a single penny. My 10-y-o, for example, is amassing a small but sweet collection of fossils which she finds on our regular family trips to the Atlantic seashore just south of La Rochelle. And her joy at finding them is as much fun as is the pleasure she derives from adding them to her collection.

'...the love of oneself's capital...'? That phrase was written by an idiot.

Pip.

fascinates? maybe P, I think that's close, but in addition (for me) there has to be a reasonable element of potential (even if tantalising in stark reality) for realisation of the desire - I may fascinated by works of Degas/Monet/Van Gogh, by magnificent villas overlooking Montreux, or, say, Brian May's own guitar, but I wouldn't experience GAS (or it's non-guitar equivalents) because its fascination without the lure of potential for realisation. [biggrin]

Then maybe there's some form of learned bias involved as well - I just do not get gas over pretty much anything made by other than the 2-3 major guitar manufacturers - no matter how beautiful the instrument, I may admire it deeply without actually desiring to own it, whereas a beat up old Fender or a perfectly crafted new Gibson at a certain price... (nowt as queer as folk, eh?)

Maybe part of the appeal is the mere THOUGHT process. I like researching AND I like debating in my own head.

"You can afford it you work hard get it."

"What for, you'll spend more time researching the damn thing than you will playing it. Remember the Nord synth you got?"

"If you don't get it you'll regret it, you can always return it."

"Thin the heard first you greedy woman!"

"I will, I will."

"There are guitarists twice as good as you who make a living with cheaper gear, you dilettante!"

Though I think for some of you this internal debate may not even occur. I do justify some purchases by noting that I do not go out to movies or take vacations or have cable. Seriously, eating out is a once a month treat! So I save and the item pays for itself after hours of abuse because it is one of my sole sources of entertainment...that and cheap video games.

...and though I am glad my gf is a good soundboard when I need to talk it out, I wish she were less encouraging of my wants. [tongue]

For me, it's often spontaneous..

we were out in Western Mass this past weekend.

there was a store there "Replay" all used gear.. mostly very low end stuff.

Then I see a George Benson (Ibanez Hollow Body) hanging off the top racks..

Oh GOD NO!!!!

My wife Deb said, "why don't ya check it out?"

"No dear, that would not be a good idea.."

I didn't even look at the price tag...

"Thin the heard first you greedy woman!"

"I will, I will."

Though I think for some of you this internal debate may not even occur.

Haha. That one sure does! Still working on it....

I wish she were less encouraging of my wants. [tongue]

Careful what you wish for! [wink]

G.A.S ?

At my house this is the criteria..

Want ? Need ?

Want ?? Need ??

Want ??? Need ???

It's that little bit of primordial , Neanderthal brain which remains between our ears....

WANT !!!!

NEED !!!!

[thumbup]

Cheers,

X

Archived