Gibson Brands Forums

Should I or should I not?

Buc McMaster

Ironically, I re-played several of my old favorite Buc videos (Stones of Circumstance, Helldorado) from the days when your singing, songwriting, and guitar playing were real bright spots here.

As much as I appreciate your current uke work, it reminded me of how much I miss Buc on the guitar.

That guitar is a beauty! If you wanted to get back into it, that guitar would be a great way to go (as much as I loved you on the 'Bird).

A friend have one of these in natural finish and they've been together a pretty long time - twenty years or so.

It's a very good guitar, but also a loud limousine. Frankly I find it a bit too big.

There is a hollow side to its identity, which doesn't sound bad, but simply make the voice a bit overblown.

This is not a snappy little street-cat, , , and I'm not sure it's ideal for your style, which is very detailed and elegantly 'down in every corner'.

Of course everything will be much more interesting if you turn out to disagree and present the majesty here within a week or 3.

I'll - and probably others - curiously await chapter 2.

Point taken on the long scale. I agree that a short scale guitar is more comfortable, but the last guitar I owned was a D18V and was very comfy to play though it was a long scale instrument. Another consideration that has come to mind is whether or not a big ol' guitar will fit in the tiny little Fiat 500 I now drive - yikes! Don't plan to haul it around much, but I'll at least need to stuff it in there to get it home. Vic is willing to haggle the price a little bit, still it's a chunk of change to drop on a piece of wood. Right hand callouses are pretty much gone......a ukulele doesn't wear on the fingertips much, so there'll be some pain. Well ****.....decisions, decisions. Damn GAS.

("down in every corner"? whut dat?)

As much as I appreciate your current uke work, it reminded me of how much I miss Buc on the guitar.

That guitar is a beauty! If you wanted to get back into it, that guitar would be a great way to go (as much as I loved you on the 'Bird).

+1 I can't wait to hear you playing a guitar again.

This might be the wrong group to ask if you are looking for someone to provide perspective on whether you should or shouldn't buy another guitar. I'm pretty sure every single person in this forum is an enabler.

But, I say go for it anyway. That thing is a beauty and would be a nice addition to anyone's stable.

Yes, Bozz, this is the wrong group to pose such a question to..........kind of like a guy in AA going into a bar and asking a bunch of drunks if he should have a drink! But, after further consideration, I have decided that I am indeed no longer a guitar player and will not buy this one. The ukulele is the perfect instrument for what I most enjoy in my advancing age: singing a song. Don't need a guitar to do that. Recently purchased this new Kiwaya 95th anniversary soprano, one of 30 built, and sent it off to Jake in Vermont for a professional setup........beautiful little instrument!

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2015/06/2014-kiwaya-kts-95-flamed-koa-soprano.html

Thanks for all your encouragement!

Yes, Bozz, this is the wrong group to pose such a question to..........kind of like a guy in AA going into a bar and asking a bunch of drunks if he should have a drink! But, after further consideration, I have decided that I am indeed no longer a guitar player and will not buy this one. The ukulele is the perfect instrument for what I most enjoy in my advancing age: singing a song. Don't need a guitar to do that. Recently purchased this new Kiwaya 95th anniversary soprano, one of 30 built, and sent it off to Jake in Vermont for a professional setup........beautiful little instrument!

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2015/06/2014-kiwaya-kts-95-flamed-koa-soprano.html

Thanks for all your encouragement!

Congrats, Buc for not falling off the wagon. That is a beautiful Uke!

No, Anne, you won the capo fair & square and I have no claim to it even if I do ever buy a guitar again (not likely, I'd say). Though I falter at times, I have learned to listen to the voice of reason in my head much more than the voice of desire. That SCGC D12 is just so freakin' gorgeous it got the better of me for a bit!

The guy I have do my ukulele work also specializes in working on old acoustic instruments of all description and, from what he has done with three of my ukes, is a great luthier that is young but does very good old school work at very, very good prices. Check out this old Gibson-made Capital - very nice! He also has a 60s J50 and '43 J45 Banner for sale. Highly recommended guy for vintage repair work.

Yes and No. Yes, because man shalt not live by ukes alone. No, because why fork out for a Cruz when there are good Gibsons to be had at fair prices? Not so much from brand identity as a preference for the original to the (high end) copy (would say the same re Collings-Martin). But, hey, its your money! Best of luck, R

Archived