Gibson Brands Forums

Members Song of the week / month?-Girl from the North Country

flatbaroque

Been a long while since everyone had a go at the same song. Quite a few people posting the odd tune these days. Maybe we can roll the tradition out for another go.

Something easy and open to interpretation...ie can be picked or strummed , capoed to suit.

I'll nominate Mr Bojangles or Girl from the North country.

Not really about getting a whole bunch of different songs nominated....rather gauging if anyone's interested. No worries if no takers...just a thought.

FB I'm down with north country! I just did this down on the Jersey Shore. I don't have any good recording gear, so my iPhone leaned up against a stack of bananas will have to do. This has warts, and flubs, and light strings that I need to change to a heavier gauge... But heck it's raw and it's now.

Http://youtube.com/watch?v=OfkwGsC9Qkk

Awesome Sal.Just what the doctor ordered.Some nice individual nuances there too [thumbup] .Thanks mate.

Girl FTNC it is.

Dan glad you're up for it too!

FB I'm down with north country! I just did this down on the Jersey Shore. I don't have any good recording gear, so my iPhone leaned up against a stack of bananas will have to do. This has warts, and flubs, and light strings that I need to change to a heavier gauge... But heck it's raw and it's now.

Nice, Sal. Really, really nice!

Awesome Sal.Just what the doctor ordered.Some nice individual nuances there too [thumbup] .Thanks mate.

Girl FTNC it is.

Dan glad you're up for it too!

Totally embarrassed to say that this will be a new song for me. In spite of sharing a birthplace city with Mr. Zimmerman, and living there for 20 + years, numerous trips to Hibbing for hockey and lunch at Zimmy's restaurant, I have never learned to play this song, and really am not very familiar with the lyric or melody. I'll work on it this week, and find out if my samsung galaxy can lean as well on a stack of bananas as Sal's I-Phone.

Would be easier if I could just record this to cassette and send it in [biggrin]

Totally embarrassed to say that this will be a new song for me. In spite of sharing a birthplace city with Mr. Zimmerman, and living there for 20 + years, numerous trips to Hibbing for hockey and lunch at Zimmy's restaurant, I have never learned to play this song, and really am not very familiar with the lyric or melody. I'll work on it this week, and find out if my samsung galaxy can lean as well on a stack of bananas as Sal's I-Phone.

Would be easier if I could just record this to cassette and send it in [biggrin]

No worries Dan.Sal did a version closer to the "Freewheelin" one which is a little more complex than the "Nashville Skyline" job..which is just G Bm C sorta.I'll probably just knock out a Nashville Skyline version.That was the duet with Johnny Cash.Will fit my duplicitous personality.

And Anne don't worry about the gender references..unless you really want to change it - you could sing

"please see for me that his hair's crew cut

that it spikes and sticks atop his noggin"...or maybe not [smile]

Well done FB. As you know I am a newcomer to Dylan, and the few songs I know, I know well, having listened to them a ton over the past two years. I know GFTNC well, because I know Boots of Spanish Leather... The songs are pretty similar; it might have been you that pointed that out to me.

I never heard the Cash duet, and I'll go have a listen. Enjoyed this!

Nice renditions, lads- thanks for getting me started on the chords, at least. I'm familiar enough with the song, but never once have I thought to give it a go.

FB, I'll leave the gender references as written, but it's tempting to work 'noggin' in- ha!

Gonna take me a while this time, but I'm game! (Too bad, I have workman-like version of Mr. Bojangles laying around here somewhere...)

1435582540[/url]' post='1671120']

Nice renditions, lads- thanks for getting me started on the chords, at least. I'm familiar enough with the song, but never once have I thought to give it a go.

FB, I'll leave the gender references as written, but it's tempting to work 'noggin' in- ha!

Gonna take me a while this time, but I'm game! (Too bad, I have workman-like version of Mr. Bojangles laying around here somewhere...)

Anne, can't wait to here you give it a go... I really like Bojangles too, and love the live Bromberg version where he talks about Jerry Jeff Walker and he, and how they would do "terrible things" to the song at 2am after gigs and drink... I am definitely game for that tune in another thread laters...

Enjoy your weeks everyone... I'm enjoying the beach on the Jersey Shore, enjoying a little vacation from work. I actually just installed a K&K in the D35.... Took me forever. Reaming end pin hole... Putty and Glue...

There's a nice version of Johnny Cash and Joni Mitchell on YouTube

Archived